Trans eye on "Dr. Keith" / "All My Children&q

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Marlena Dahlstrom
Miss Emerald Goddess

Trans eye on "Dr. Keith" / "All My Children&q

Post by Marlena Dahlstrom »

Two "trans on the tube" items I thought people might be interested in.

1) Helen Boyd, author "My Husband Betty", and Betty made an apparence on the Dr. Keith show, which went well.

Their segment is posted on YouTube:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHowP_dBoCc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQ3VhgZQH8

With only about 11 minutes to work with, things were obviously rushed. But Dr. Keith handled things well, with respect and a minimum of sensationalism. Helen and Betty were charming, straightforward, open and honest, and I thought Betty made a useful point in explaining the difference between body disphoria and "social disphoria," which is her own motivation for wanting to live life as a woman.

The one annoying thing is that the show made no mention that Helen's written two excellent books on trans issues (and issues of being the partner of a trans person). So let me promote them here: the Lambda Literary Award Finalist "My Husband Betty" and her just released "She's Not the Man I Married" (which is excellent).

2) "All My Children" is going to have trans character Zarf/Zoe visit a trans support group -- and what a support group it is. Betty will be there along with author Jenny Boylan, Andy Marra of the National Center for Transgender Equality, Kate Bornstein's ex David Harrison (who had a small part in "Transamerica") and other transwomen and transmen. AMC did a taping yesterday where folks shared their stories, which will be edited into the program.

It's expect to air March 8 and 9.
Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Marlena,

I just watched the interview. Thank you for the links.

Jadeanne
JoAnnDallas
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by JoAnnDallas »

I watched the two YouTubes. Very good presentation. The Dr. was very professional about all of it. I did notice the times they showed the autdiance and did not detect any negitive reactions in their faces. Very good posting. Thank you.
Lisa(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Lisa(SO) »

I caught All My Children a couple of days ago and it wa great the way that it was explained. The mother was having a hard time accepting that her son wants to transition. She said that she had a healthy pregnancy etc. A doctor on the show explained that it happened in utero where the boy parts were formed but the male brain did not. I think that it is a step forward for the TG community because it was explained medically and not that the person was a deviant. I hope that it continues this way.
_______

Lisa (SO)

*The rewards of love are always greater than the cost.*
KathyB
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by KathyB »

Marlena: Thank you for sharing the links to those two videos. It was an excellent piece despite the limited time. I think the love, understanding and compassion shown between Helen and Betty is a rare thing in our world. When more people can be this understanding (whether or not they are accepting) we'll all have a better world in which to live.
JoAnnDallas
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by JoAnnDallas »

I got see the episode that aire last Friday. In it Zoe had decided to stop transisitioning and in a emotional interplay, her Mother told her that she did not want her to stop. That she had to be who she really is and she would always love her. The seine where I think was the sister was talking to a guy and tell him that she understood what Zoe was going thru and that she supported her 100%.

Very moving seines and very constructive in the trails and tribulations that a TS goes thru and how it affects all that are around her. From just that episode, I got a very positive response that the producers are doing it justice and doing it right.