A song for us :):):)

A 'round table' for friends and family members of Crossdressers and Transgenders.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Eileen (SO)

Letitia_Jolie_GG
Miss Sapphire Goddess

A song for us :):):)

Post by Letitia_Jolie_GG »

Hey everyone :) I was just listening to this song today on the radio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-UwSmknLRI and I was wondering what the lyrics were all about.
Now- maybe I have a twisted mind, and I have no reason for believing Fyfe Dangerfield actually meant it this way, but it made me think of people on this forum: crossdressers, transgendered, genderqueer, people who experiment with feminine identities or challenge the concepts of masculinity/femininity altogether. People who have a hard time being recognised as "feminine" or as "women". And also about their loved-ones who accept and support them; so I thought I'd share this with all of you very special people here :)
I think it kind of fits; do you?
Gender is not something that one is, it is something one does, an act… a "doing" rather than a "being". (Judith Butler)
Connie
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Connie »

I don't know about it being applicable to crossdressers, etc., but I know it was written or at least originally sung by Billy Joel quite a few years ago. It might have been written about his wife/girlfriend at the time.

Connie
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

It was a love song that Billy wrote for his then wife, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth had taken over management of Billy's career, and was able to put his financial affairs in order after Billy had signed some bad deals and contracts. She was a tough and savvy negotiator who could "wound with her eyes" or "steal like a thief," but would "never give in."

Because of her tough-as-nails negotiating style, many business adversaries thought she was "unfeminine," but to Billy, she was always a woman.
DonnaT
Letitia_Jolie_GG
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Letitia_Jolie_GG »

So somehow it is about people who are challenging traditional gender roles- just the other way around ;)
Gender is not something that one is, it is something one does, an act… a "doing" rather than a "being". (Judith Butler)
KenetaO
Miss Crystal Goddess

I really enjoy listening to one by Mary Chapin Carpenter

Post by KenetaO »

This song was in my head for months before I finally found out who did it and I bought the CD! It is called "Girls Like Me"!

I found it by watching many different CDs in their wonderful outfits and settings, then I found one in Canada, OhHolly was so captivating I was hooked. Find it and listen on youtube, see what you think! The song is another one for us as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK7bVccSFz4

KenetaO
"People will forget what you say and do, but
they will NEVER forget how you made them FEEL!"

Hugs,
KenetaO