Letter to my father

A 'round table' for friends and family members of Crossdressers and Transgenders.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Eileen (SO)

Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

CJ,

When I read your most recent post I had a rush of all these bad feelings that I had in the past and it reminded me so much of the experiences I have been through. It hit me so hard I was worried that perhaps I have merely swept my issues under the rug and perhaps I did not really deal with them at all. Perhaps I was just hiding from them.

My Father died on April Fools Day 2003, very apprpriate I thought. I had not spoken to him since 1992 and even then I was superficial and deliberately talked about things he knew nothing about, just to make him feel foolish. Previous to that, I had not spoken to him with any meaningful words since 1986 when I told him that if we were to have a relationship, he would have to stop playing head games, to which he repied "What do you mean?". I said "I don't mean anything" and that was the last time I spoke to him with the intention of being heard.

I have never really had any meaningful words with my mother. She was a dictator who beleives that her children are beholden to her by virtue of that fact that she had us. Although her and my father were divorced, they spoke frequently and she insisted that anyone who was to be in her inner circle had to accept and embrace him and his ideals as a condition of her friendship and support. In 1994 I opted out. In this withdrawl from her it automatically included my oldest sister, my second oldest brother and my two younger sisters.

In 1996 me and my second oldest sister parted ways when we I would not hire her to work for my company. We also played in a band together which I quit and cancelled all our gigs.

In 1998 my oldest brother forced me to fire him from my company and he immediately joined my mothers inner circle, although he swore he would never do that. In an ironic twist he also aligned himself with my second oldest sister to portray me as the bad guy.

And finally, last year my brother just older than me shunned me when I came out of the closet.

What they all have in common is that the relationship ended when I failed to meet their expectations of me. It was not me making demands of them. So when my second oldest brother reached out to me in friendship, without asking me to change who I was. No conditions of accepting my mother or father, I accepted with no conditions on him. When I reached out to my second oldest sister without condition, she accepted and placed no conditions on me. And more recently, my youngest sister reached out to me, without condition, and again I accpted.
CJ wrote:
Well, that's not possible. Not because I won't "back down" (now that I've started discovering who I am in the past few years) but because that son that you want a relationship with never existed. It was all a front, a facade, a charade, a travesty. For most of my life, I was the person the world wanted me to be. I cannot do that anymore; the pressure to be (and to become) who I truly am is just too great. Literally, in my case, it's now a "do or die"
I SOOOOOOOO!!!! understand this. I went through a tough time when I fiirst became estranged from my parents, and indeed I grieved the loss as if they had died, and indeed they had died to me. In fact, I did not attend my fathers funeral, and will not attend my mothers. They are dead to me already. I knew that what I missed was not the parents I had, but the parents I wanted them to be. My brother saw me as the person he wanted me to be, not the person I was. He still beleives that I will tire of the whole crossdressing thing and come to my senses. He told me so the last time we spoke back in august when I called him. As much pain as it causes me to lose the friendship with my brother, I also have to realize that because of my secret and my front, he was never able to know the real me and because of this, it turns out he does not like the real me. He liked a facade of me, the front I projected with the intention of him liking it. I am ok owning this.

CJ, I admire your bold steps to bring your life to a place where you want it to be. When I read that article that someone posted by Helen Boyd there was a line that really struck me. She said that for all the pain she has seen transgendered people go through when coming out, she never heard one person say they regretted it.

I know the path is hard, but you have already done the hard part, you have decided what you have to do, and that is the hardest part.

I feel your pain, but also share your guarded enthusiasm for the you that is about to emerge. I wish you the strength and wisdom to make this period of transition as painfree and joyous as it can possibly be. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Love always,
Elizabeth
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Mission accomplished: letters sent. :shock:

Loretta, Elizabeth,

Thanks for your support. It means a lot to me.

You know, I'm 44 years old and I first came out as a crossdresser to my then-girlfriend, Marie, when I was 20 years old. (She and I are currently roommates--talk about the power of friendship!) It occured to me that I've almost always been gentle and slow in my unveiling myself to others. Many people that know I'm a CD have never seen me dressed (although a few have seen photos of "Christina"). But the point is, they know! I don't hide it. Yet, the one person I wish would "see" me doesn't and cannot.

It's not easy "cutting your losses" when it comes to family. I'm not ready to do it just yet (despite your generous advice and wise counsel). A person very close to me attended his mother's funeral a few months ago. He hadn't seen nor spoken to her in close to 25 years. He says his mental health depended on his cutting all ties to her. For a quarter of a century, he had no ties to his mother at all. And yet he's one of the most unselfish and kind people I know. I'm wondering if this is the route I'm heading towards. I really don't want to go down that path but there's some virtue in staring reality in the face, I guess.

Anyway, I'll see if there's some kind of response to my letters. I imagine there won't be. And yet the sun will still rise tomorrow. :?

Thanks.

Love,
CJ
Loretta Ann
Permanently Banned

Post by Loretta Ann »

Hi all,

Elizabeth,
You wrote:When I read your most recent post I had a rush of all these bad feelings that I had in the past and it reminded me so much of the experiences I have been through. It hit me so hard I was worried that perhaps I have merely swept my issues under the rug and perhaps I did not really deal with them at all. Perhaps I was just hiding from them.
I know you have wondered why I posted some of the things I have in some of my responses to you. It is because I suspected the above to be true.

There are two sides to being able to successfully come out of situations such as the ones we have had to deal with. The one side of it you have worked very hard on. In fact you have amazed me at how fast you have come out of it. The other side that is some what harder to see or describe is; the inner healing that can take place with in. It is possible to reach a place where you do not experience what you have just experienced as you have described above.

In fact the test that determines if your healing has been complete is revealed in the ability to look at those past pictures of your life, and feel no pain only perhaps some sadness. but certainly not something that over whelms you as it did in this situation.
You also wrote:I went through a tough time when I first became estranged from my parents, and indeed I grieved the loss as if they had died, and indeed they had died to me.

Ditto for me.
And You wrote: In fact, I did not attend my fathers funeral, and will not attend my mothers. They are dead to me already.
I attended my fathers funeral only due to the fact it provided an opportunity to confront the rest of my family. Which I did in a letter presented to all of them individually. (funerals are the only place where you have a chance of getting every one together in a dysfunctional family) My Mother passed away recently and I was not even going to mention it here until you mentioned yours. I did not attend the funeral.

CJ.
You wrote:It's not easy "cutting your losses" when it comes to family. I'm not ready to do it just yet.
That is one of the hardest things a person who has to do it... must go through.

I have not cut ties with my family. I let them do that to me. There is a difference. I have basically told them that if they want anything to do with me it will need to be new, that I will not accept the old. In other words I left the door open, but put the ball in their court. And that is what I suggest for you. One needs to be free to accept them should they come to you later... as they have to Elizabeth. But one also needs to be able to leave it there so you can get on with your life.
Last edited by Loretta Ann on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

OH WOW CJ. (--) Methinks your voyage of self-discovery is well underway. I am so happy for you that it comes at the age of 44 rather than say, 61 :oops: . Getting counseling, extending your wings, are all important decisions, and hard too at first. You've done a difficult thing, making hard decisions with respect to your dad, and believe me, I do understand the difficulty and the indecision you have felt about that step of talking or writing to family. That's maybe the hardest of all, since their the ones you have tried to please the most for the longest. I hope your dad can finally come to realize who you are and value you as the real you, and not just the facade he thought he knew and helped to construct with his occasional approval or disapproval of your behavior as you grew up.

A post-op TS, Kate Grimaldi, has written a "dirty dozen things to remember" that is pertinent to CD and TS alike. Paraphrased in part,

Your dysphoria is not your fault regardless of the attitude of some. You needn't ask anyone's permission to make yourself as you need to be.

This is not a moral failure. God is not against you, don't let anyone put that one on you!

This is happening to you, not to "them", others do not come first! That's fuzzy thinking and residual guilt talking.

If you have felt this way since childhood, it is almost certainly has nothing to do with having sex. Growing up alone with this, yet having it always present, sex may have turned out to be one of the very few private times you could express it---either in private fantasies or in the special intimacy of sexual bonding.

It may cost you. You may be asked to give up virtually everything. Be ready to profoundly grieve. Be ready for undreamed of joy. You will get both in spades.

Expect future disappointments. No one's life can be made blissful based on one, albeit dramatic, set of events.

If transition is to be your lot, expect to learn virtually everything without teachers. Most day-to-day advice will be just plain bad. This is where transitions undergo their greatest peril, so have a contingency for at least one, if not more, restarts.

You will have to learn femininity as rote as tying your shoes or riding a bike. Let the back of your brain take over. You have to let go some bullshyte image you built to hide behind, but giving up the security blanket of false images will be the first step.

Be ruthless. This world is a very tough place. A halfhearted effort will almost always backfire. "A camel is a horse designed by committee." There are no compromises.

Kate Grimaldi-2003- Beginning Life

You have real friends, 3D as well as online, so don't forget to draw on all these resources. You will find us waiting for you with arms outstretched and shoulder-strong.

You are a sweet, articulate, thoughtful and caring person, CJ, one anyone should be proud to call friend or sister or daughter if that is what you decide is to be.

Love always,
Carolynn
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
David Weber – In Fury Born
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Wow. For the first time in a long time, I don't know what to say...

I feel like laughing, shouting for joy, and crying all at the same time...

Loretta,

You wrote: Funerals are the only place where you have a chance of getting everyone together in a dysfunctional family. Man, oh man, ain't that the truth! Wisdom for the ages. Maybe I'm still labouring under the illusion that my family isn't dysfunctional, who knows?

Last February and March, I was so severely depressed that I reached out to my father in a desperate plea for help (I don't usually reach out when I'm not feeling well--a pattern I'm trying really hard to break). I was this close to ending my own life (depression does that). When I spoke with my father at the time, he rather dismissively suggested that I only need get my affairs in order... focus on my daily life, do the dishes, pay the bills, stop all this "online" nonsense, cultivate my inner life (as you call it, Loretta). Telling someone who's suicidal to cultivate their inner life is like giving a book on canine obedience training to a puppy. Dysfunctional, indeed.

I do understanding what you're saying, though, Loretta. And Elizabeth only confirms it. Although it may look like I'm the one doing the "cutting off of all ties," it's the opposite that's true. But, yes, my door will always remain open. (I've been trying to reach my mother for several days now; I want to run to her, wailing, "Mom-eeeee!" but that's another relationship that doesn't work very well despite her being, she says, "totally accepting" of who I am.) I feel as though I'm stranded on a small island in some Pacific archipelago; I can see my father, way over there on his own island, my mother on hers, and my little bro on his own (albeit a little closer)... and the waters are full of sharks... and I only have the one tree on my island to build a canoe with... and I have no tools. Dysfunctional, indeed.

Carolynn,

Thanks so much for sharing with me Ms. Grimaldi's clear-eyed brand of wisdom. She's right, of course. I often say to someone that he or she is the only person they'll ever have to spend their entire life with and that it matters, above all else, how they relate to themselves. I just need to put this into practice more assiduously in my own life. It's not selfish; it's sane ("sane," from the Latin sanus, referring to "health"--as in the expression mens sane in corpore sano, "a healthy mind in a healthy body").

Again, thank you, all of you. I'm proud to call you my friends.

Love,
CJ
Lorna
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Lorna »

Hi CJ,

I know this is indeed a difficult thing. I'm so sorry that your father can't be more open. Too many family members these days are so quick to cut off their own kin, simply because we don't fit into some absurd "mold" that they created in their minds for us on how WE should live OUR lives. They fail to realize the most valuable lesson they all taught us when we were children:

"You can't always get what you want."

In this case he wanted a traditional, "macho" masculine, man's-man type son. Every father wants that, but the reality is that not every father is going to GET that. None of our fathers here have gotten that. :wink:

I know that you really want his acceptance. I just hope that he comes around soon and is willing to at least discuss it with you sometime in the near future...

Family members are always our most difficult obstacles. I really hope that it all works out for you. (--)
Live it. Love it. OWN IT.
Loretta Ann
Permanently Banned

Post by Loretta Ann »

Hi CJ,

You appear to be at a place that I wondered if you would ever reach. It may be hard for you to realize it now... but it is a good place to visit. It is a cross roads.

I know you understand what I have said to you here hon. I am confident you will come out of this with some better tools as a result of this experience. You should end up much richer for it.

((G))
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Got this in the mail this afternoon.

CJ

----------

Crossdressers forum
January 2006

Letter to my son.

Daniel,

When I opened your envelope in December, the neatly folded pages resembled a will. And maybe in some ways it was. After examining the heading, I read carefully the entire 14 pages. Not only are you a gifted writer, to quote Elizabeth, but I keep reminding people time and again what a gifted human being you are... compassionate, sensitive, artistic, erudite, and humorous. When people are impressed by my ramblings on archeology, economics, astronomy, boxing, philosophy, jazz, ornithology, geology, etc., I keep repeating: "That's nothing. You should meet my son, Daniel!" Some would call this affection; others, admiration. As you well know by now, fundamentally I am not a physically affectionate person, prone to hugging and kissing. Affection can express itself in many ways. More on this subject further on in the letter.

Given the content of those 14 pages, I could easily write a book but I will deliberately restrain myself and attempt to address a limited number of core issues. Should you wish to underline certain omissions, I will reply... in Chapter II, at a later date. But, first, let me begin by answering the number one unspoken question on everyone's mind: "I wonder how the man will react and respond to the letters?"

Here are some of my initial impressions:

* I felt somewhat confused, troubled, overwhelmed by the emotional weight, the number of doors being opened, accompanied by occasional heavy artillery thrown in for good measure and sprayed lightly with vitriol. That's life! But I find it refreshing and correct when cards are being laid down on the table.

* Pacing the floor, I wondered what to do, how to cope, how to decipher, what to answer, how to deal with the persistent distress displayed in your correspondence and elsewhere.

* A standard rebuttal could not be the best solution. In my case, rational rebuttals are a piece of cake. Under a seemingly soft-spoken exterior there lies a thick-skinned warrior able to tear someone's arguments to shreds with a short series of well-chosen sentences. I am aware it could easily become an escape hatch--destroy, evade, and justify!

* In keeping with the public, almost international, flavor of this exchange, I decided to answer likewise and even try to express my views in English even though I haven't spoken English since 1965, when I arrived in Montreal. Crossdressers-Forum states that friends and family are welcome.

* I was moved by the opinions and sentiments expressed by the readers. They appear warm, comforting, and couched in the realm of emotions. Emotions add flavor to life and also turbulence. During emotional episodes, whatever the reason, don't forget, you are in a canoe... standing! I would appreciate having my comments forwarded verbatim to your readers. They are entitled to some kind of response as they eagerly await the outcome of our entanglement.

----------

Leaving behind the preamble, let me set the table on the following triad:

a) PERCEPTIONS, yours and mine.
b) The TATTERED RELATIONSHIP.
c) Some of my PERSONAL TRAITS.

Your list of statements, observations, and recriminations is lengthy, to put it mildly. All of them deserve attention but not in one document. I hope that those I've selected would somehow be related to the above subtitles. First, a broad statement on those titles:

PERCEPTIONS, regardless of their degree of correspondence with reality, play an important role in the lives of everyone. To a large extent, these subjective filters dominate our lives by exerting pressure on our behaviour and molding our opinions. In addition, no matter how accurate, distorted, amplified, skewed they may be, the fact remains that perceptions are "real" for each perceiver and have to be dealt with accordingly.

Obviously, our RELATIONSHIP is muddled. Nevertheless, I thought it was 75% O.K. and 25% unsatisfactory. However, when I look through your end of the telescope, to my amazement I find it's 10% O.K. and 90% unsatisfactory!!!

PERSONAL TRAITS of mine are raised many times in the form of declarations and questions. I will touch on some of them along the way.

In the following paragraphs, allow me to regroup a number of your statements for the sake of discussion:

I've tried to show you who I truly am... who this person is.

There is a forum on the internet I occasionally visit, I've told you about it, that has given me the strength and courage to become more fully who I truly am.

...but I know this will never happen until he can at least acknowledge that I am who I am.

I offered him, in this one last (almost desperate) attempt, a glimpse of who I truly am.

I'm proud of who I am, Dad, warts and all.

For most of my life, I was the person the world wanted me to be. I cannot do that anymore; the pressure to be (and to become) who I truly am is just too great.

All the foregoing quotations from your letters relate to one issue: your perception of who you really are. I always thought that who a person really was amounted to the sum total of his interests, his beliefs, his activities, his philosophy of life, his social relationships, his career or job, his sexual activities and identification, his inherited characteristics, his achievements, his hobbies, his emotional outlook and pleasures, his community interactions! Also, basically, you are what you eat! You are what you read! You are what you discuss, integrate, and discard! In many of the above areas, I was under the impression that our relationship was appropriate and fertile.

The fact that you reduce your essence to crossdressing is somewhat mystifying, oversimplified, and overstated, wouldn't you agree? Crossdressing is only part of who you are just like golfing is only part of Tiger Woods, even though, perhaps, 40% of his time and energy may be spent in that sector. Before you dismiss the comparison as trivial at best, hear me through. In relative terms, I would venture that individuals spend 25% of their time, energy, and money on sexual matters including sexual identity preoccupations; perhaps slightly more from age 15 to 30, and less after they've reached the age of 45. Every now and then, after 45, frantic efforts are made to sustain interest and performance but, sooner or later, sexual life loses some importance and eventually dwindles down to storytelling! In the normal course of events, it will happen that other interests such as baseball, knitting, noisy discotheques, fishing, will also lose their appeal and will be replaced by something else.

If Tiger Woods and I were friends, golfing would be a popular topic, I imagine. However, I assume his basic fulfillment and relationships could include musical preferences, hobbies, religious practices, community involvement and others. If he happened to belong to a very unusual religious cult, I might discuss the content with him, only to conclude that I'm not that interested. To which he might reply: "Don't you accept me?" "Sure, I accept your membership in that group. I just don't want to hear about it anymore!"

And if my 'friend' Tiger happened to be a crossdresser? So what? And who cares? Especially if his own lifestyle is in order and it causes him no turmoil.

(Reality check) If people accept 80% of what you do, what you say, the type of person you are... count your blessings! Rarely will anyone accept you one hundred percent. Just set your priorities in order, clarify your goals and aspirations, and just do it... without external life support!

The fact that I, personally, did not move forward a full 100% in your direction should be perceived as MY problem, MY shortcoming, not yours (a lack of flexibility and courage on my part for which I apologize). I was hoping that you would have taken that into account. With certain issues--very few, I might add--when you're on my turf, in my vulnerability, in my insecurity, in my fragility, in my denial, I figure you could have displayed a degree of tolerance and acceptance yourself, even if it meant no toenails painted red which I perceive as a form of invasion of privacy, as you have correctly stated.

----------
----------

You are a person who shut out from your heart not just your kids but the world at large. I see this now when I look at you sitting in your living-room chair, as you gaze longingly out the window at the mountains and the lake. The world you pine for has not much room for people.

I can only suppose that, somewhere in your own past, the world you seek to flee has hurt you as well.

...nor the lonely man sitting in his living-room chair, staring out at a world he can no longer love, but rather the "you" that you've managed to hide from everyone around you that loves you...

Your description evokes visions of Archie Bunker minus the window! But, sorry, it just won't work. With regards to the person I've managed to hide from everyone around me, on the contrary, most people around me consider me an opened book, ready to engage in all forms of activity and to share my views, hobbies, and opinions promptly and completely, at the drop of a hat! It's true, I'm rather indifferent to people who might love me or not love me, theoretically, from a distance.

Before I confess to what I see as I gaze outside, let me recall briefly the physical setting. The space you are referring to is not the living-room, which is downstairs, but the lounging area next to the dinette with a full glass wall facing west where a spectacular view of trees, lakes, fields, and mountains unfolds along the horizon for the next forty kilometers. Our old-fashioned wooden bungalow, painted dark green, sits on top of a hill, on a three-acre lot, surrounded by trees and flowers and offers an ever-changing panorama of natural beauty and stunning sunsets. It gives one the urge to fetch a camera every time! Above our treetops a few houses are visible in the streets below and, further down, Lake Magog. On the other side, a vineyard, farms, and skiers the size of mosquitoes gliding down Mount Orford, with several other mountains in the background.

To begin with, lonely is not part of my universe and never has been, wherever I happened to be. People who know me might say... introspective, resourceful, scattered, intense, melancholy, creative, independent, but never... "lonely." "Lonely" is when you are dragging your feet and your vitality, hoping that someone might suddenly appear to fill your void, cheer you up, or contribute to your day. Frankly, with all the fulfilling activities we have, indoors and outdoors, including friends, neighbors, and surrounding towns, added to an introspective disposition, I really have no time nor space for loneliness.

The lounging area with its four comfortable swivel chairs is an ideal place to chat, sip a cup of tea, or read a book. However, there are times I'm just sitting there, looking outside, like you mentioned. What do I see? and how do I feel?

* Sometimes, I'm simply feasting on the scenery. I'm examining each tree. I know them individually and I can tell if one is in need and why. I check visually the condition of the meandering driveway. Being three hundred meters long, only part of it is visible, and I must not let it become eroded by heavy rains. Every now and then, I'll pick up the binoculars (my wife, Paulette, once asked me, "What does that man mean by 'banana killers'?) to check birds flying about or to see what's going on in the vineyard or on the outskirts of the city of Magog. Seeing the streets below, Paulette and I are grateful to have a private area where we can expand, relax, and play. I've lived on streets before. Now it's over!

* Sometimes, I'm looking outside without seeing anything. Just like a cow ruminating, dissecting previous conversations or something I read or saw on television. I ponder the meaning, the value, the pertinence of past experiences to alter my stance, add a new dimension, or change direction. When people talk, I tend to listen and store the information for further review and rehashing. Over the years, I've spoken to others often; but I've spoken to myself more often.

* Sometimes, I'm making plans or outlining projects along with measurements and drawings. Or I'm making a mental list of things I should be doing in the days ahead. I enjoy preparing projects, being fully aware that my plans will outnumber my achievements by three to one!

* Sometimes, I find myself delving into the past in pleasure or discomfort; I know people generally perceive me as a success story but I don't necessarily share their perception. I've made all kinds of mistakes, took wrong turns, neglected talents, did nothing when I should at least have made a mistake! When I add up the successes and failures, I often feel gloomy and somewhat unworthy. Every so often I feel the tide of failure rolling in and when I hear those faint footsteps of failure nearby I enter briefly a land of blatant mistakes, derailed dreams, and squandered opportunities. If the house happens to be empty, I'm glad. No one has to know I've been crying. Crying in public upsets me. At night, even with my eyes shut, I noticed tears will trickle down over the bridge of my nose and fall silently into the pillow. The quietness of tears, snowflakes, and cats never fails to amaze me. I turn the pillow over and try to sleep, confident that I will pull myself together in time to greet tomorrow's sunrise.

So much for the lonely man gazing out the window!

----------
----------

...the world you seek to flee...

The world I seek to flee is mainly the Toronto Stock Exchange and the crowded downtown areas of large cities. The constant traffic congestion, the foul air, the noise, the sleazy characters wandering about, I tend to avoid deliberately. As a matter of fact, I felt safer working inside the maximum security penitentiary in Kingston than I did roaming the streets of Detroit and Chicago, late at night, years ago. For one who shuns city life, a country environment leads to greater serenity and harmony. Anyone from the Midwest will vouch for that. Cities are continually clamoring for one's attention and money while the slower pace and convivial people in the country allow you to linger and personalize your existence. Sollicitation is reduced to a minimum. It's also an ideal place to continue dismantling one's ego.

Some people were meant to live in cities; others, on farms, in the country, on water. It's important for each to be able to identify the environment best suited to his true self, at every stage of life, in order that he may not remain forever a stranger in his own clothing.

----------

You are a person who shut out from your heart not just your kids but the world at large.

...staring out at a world he can no longer love...

Truthfully, I neither hate nor love the world at large, whatever you have in mind when using that expression. The world is replete with individuals having exquisite characters and souls, like gems and flowers you happen to meet or read about. Human beings take on all forms and attributes... naïve, sympathetic, belligerent, creative, lazy, devoted, industrious, etc.

What annoys me to some extent is not the individuals; it's the human race as a species! Why, may I ask, would someone want to love the world at large? Have you not read the papers lately? The human species has not evolved significantly in the last 50,000 years! Perhaps I should be patient. In geological terms, 50,000 years is just a wink. The environment and technology have changed dramatically but the human specimens who left the caves behind are still driven primarily by greed, mythology, insecurity, and tribal beliefs, as they stand on the brink of being overwhelmed by their own technology. In the distant future, beings doing research will refer to us as the missing link between primates and themselves. Our pride and egos prevent us from noticing and accepting our missing link status.

Some people help others step into a brighter future and that is commendable. I used to do it before I retired. Now I just try to set a decent example and spend time exploring inside and outside. As far as "the world at large" is concerned, I'm still hopeful but not optimistic, as the saying goes. There are other worlds such as literature, science, music, nature, geology, that I find more gratifying than the world of people at large.

----------
----------

CHILDHOOD YEARS

My intention in the next few pages was to attempt to sort out and respond to issues you raise about your childhood years and your emotional desert. Those were turbulent times involving many intertwined events and individuals. Unfortunately, my recollection is quite blurred and therefore not ready to print. Give me time to reflect, perhaps make a few phone calls and consult. In the meantime, let's leave it on hold.

----------
----------

THE LAST ENCOUNTER, July 2005

On page 5 0f 8, I found a list of odd statements attributed to me that kinda pissed me off! Your letters happen to be abgry letters. I can cope with anger. I can understand and sympathize with anger. However, we both know that your mastery of the English language is superior to mine. So why the lousy translation from French to English? And why the juxtapositions (the joining of two statements that were initially unrelated)!?! And the countless distortions (!?!), the amplitude of which I find unsettling. I recall your being upset at the time but I just can't let those strange statements stand alone. Detailed comments now appearing in writing will make it impossible for me to retreat. Brace yourself, though. There could be some artillery landing in your neighborhood at a time when you need it least.

I don't want you coming here with polish on your toenails; it's a form of assault.

Although your tone and choice of words are harsher than mine, I have to admit that the statement is essentially correct. Some form of explanation has been given earlier but it doesn't really alter the content.

You have an illness and, yes, I'm not comfortable with people who are sick.

Not only are both parts of the statement inaccurate, they form one of those juxtapositions! And I'm sure I never said the word 'illness' ('maladie' in French) because I don't consider crossdressing an illness. A peculiarity perhaps, a quirk, a shortcoming, a deviation from ordinary behaviour, a source of anguish, rejection, stress... you name it. It's not an illness.

Concerning "people who are sick," it's a topic we've discussed at one time or another but not in July. And with the following important clarification: it's not a matter of being uncomfortable with people who are sick; it's a question of not feeling comfortable in a hospital setting, the equipment, the pills, the staff in white uniforms, the waiting rooms, the wheelchairs, etc. A slight discomfort, not that important. In everyday life, I did also mention, on a number of occasions, that it annoyed me to see people tending to their minor ailments as if it were a rose garden and falling far too readily into the arms of the medical professions without investing in personal reinforcements on their own behalf.

That being said, it doesn't prevent me and Paulette from visiting people in hospitals and it didn't prevent me from volunteering for a five-year research program on the ageing process which entails lengthy interviews at the hospital, testing, physical exercises on location, questionnaires, keeping a written record of whatever happens to me pertaining to health. And when the counsellor calls me at home, I give her a detailed account of everything I ate the previous day. All in all, quite a task but I figure I've received a lot so I must give in return.

What you do is not normal; if you're to share that abnormality with the world at large, you must also be prepared to be a martyr for it.

I remember having discussed the concept of "normality" more than once. As you are well aware, there are two definitions:

a) The first one refers to statistical normality, that is to say, being within the average, part of the central majority. The further away you stand from the central average of whatever is being investigated, the further you are from statistical normality. You therefore become "abnormal" and part of a minority. Example: if the average height of the adult North American male is between 5'4" and 5'9", you are normal if you fall within that range. If you measure 5'11", you are slightly abnormal, being taller than the average height. However, if one is measuring basketball players only, chances are you would still be "abnormal," being too short compared to the average group.

b) The second definition of normality, often explored in medicine and psychiatry, referes to behaviour that is unwholesome, self-destructive, unhealthy, conducive to further deficiencies in the organism or personality. Medical specialists call it pathology, mild or severe. Example: self-mutilation, alcoholism, harmful habits and mechanisms such as drug abuse, leading to a deterioration of mental and physical well-being.

Returning to my analysis, I remember emphasizing that when one is part of a very small minority, your public behaviour, if the least bit controversial, can attract rejection and mistreatment by the prevailing majority. I note that in your statement you give the readers the impression that I have opted for the second definition of abnormality. Granted, the two are not mutually exclusive. However, your choice casts me in a darker light! In our July conversation, I also remember hastening to repeat that, if crossdressing activities meet with strong public disapproval, sticks and stones almost, you have to organize your life so as not to be victimized and become a martyr unnecessarily. And just to underline that aspect, let me quote you personally:

The difference here between your being who you are and my being who I am is that there is very little in your world that prevents you from being who you are (no, not even your son's suffering) whereas I encounter obstacles everywhere I go (well, not quite everywhere, and thank God for that!). People don't laugh at you because of who you are; cops don't bring you down to the station because of who you are; drunkards don't physically assault you because of who you are; friends and family don't shun you because of who you are (although, as this very letter shows, you came perilously close to being shunned); lawmakers don't enact laws against the kind of person you are; you don't lose a job (or, at least, are not prevented from getting one) because of who you are; the world in which you live, Dad, doesn't see you as a liability.

On the specific statement under examination, I rest my case!

It's not my business to know your true self; it's your business to know it.

I find myself unable to grasp the meaning of that sentence, so I'll just move on to the next one.

Nature has made men men and women women for a good reason; you need to conform to those reasons if you want to be happy.

You must have read that somewhere in a book. Not only do I disagree with the content, I would tend to defend the opposite view vigorously! Every male has masculine and feminine characteristics and females, likewise. Furthermore, males having exclusively masculine characteristics and females having exclusively feminine traits tend to be less appealing and less diversified in their potential and their abilities. At times, however, when an individual has the traits of the opposite sex in a lopsided fashion, social and religious approval are not readily available, with some exceptions, depending mostly on personal conduct. In sexual matters, and even in the area of mild eroticism, denial, ridicule, and censorship are everywhere!

You're, in a sense, 'defective'; for your own good, you need to focus on your own defects rather than see the world around you as flawed.

Without transcripts, it's very difficult to return to past conversations, in tense moments and in another language, and pretend that one is reproducing quotes. For instance, when referring to people, I would not use the word "defect" ("défectuosité" in French). I would use the word "lacune" which has the meaning of shortcoming, impediment, burden, fault... which we all have. But why quibble about the meaning of words...normal, abnormal, defective, effective, etc.? My stance has always remained the same, in your case specifically. It's not a matter of inadequate personal structure; it's a matter of inadequate personal management! For example, near the end of your last inscription, you seem to be indicating that the roof is collapsing. I'm sorry to hear that and hope it will be temporary. When the roof of a building buckles, generally speaking, one can point to weak supporting walls or uneven distribution of architectural stress. The same holds true for an individual who does not differentiate clearly what is personal, what is collective, what is private, what is public. Sectors such as sexuality, financial matters, career implications, relationships, even hobbies, have to be loosely and seperately enclosed in order to avoid contamination. In the absence of compartments in one's life, when it rains, it rains everywhere, on everything!

Without partitions, an emerging difficulty in one area will flood the entire entity, resulting in dysfunction. It's called contamination in personal management. In a way, I wasn't completely surprised at your decision to bulldoze the entire relationship on account of one area of conflict between us.

When the world around us is seen as flawed, it's not without justification. In the field of sexuality among others, we are all in denial! If you and I were to stroll through Sexuality 101, as a form of reality check we would discover that, from time immemorial, whether inside or outside organized religions, humans have always viewed eroticism and sexuality as a bittersweet blend of fear, shame, pleasure, and censorship... to this very day. Sex is a powerful ingredient, regardless of whether the activity is trivial, dramatic, standard, or off-beat.

Leaving aside the legendary fig leaves worn by Adam and Eve upon realizing their nakedness, let us move forward to the National Football League of Nov. 2005. According to rumours, the teams had been informed that cheerleaders henceforth were to dress decently and suggestive backside-wiggling would no longer be tolerated! Of course, I had to check (to see if the instructions were being followed!!!). Sure enough, the following week, cheerleaders performed the majority of their routines behind painted plywood panels and were seldom seen during the game. A situation very similar for the Canadian Grey Cup game on Nov. 20th.

Take it from me, when ordinary cheerleaders are the butt of censorship, there will be no masturbating on the street corners in the foreseeable future. As a matter of fact, there will be practically nothing going on, sexually, on street corners without social or legal harassment, except in dreary, restricted areas. Anyone moving boldly or erratically on the stage of sexuality needs to be cautious and wary. Censorship and punishment walk in their shadow. Personal management beckons. (Reality check)

----------
----------

FINAL REMARKS AND OBSERVATIONS

1. In reviewing the entire correspondence, the crucial paragraph, in my opinion, seems to be the one on perceptions. Both of us should reread it a number of times. Anyone's attempt to capture "reality" is ladened with obstacles and very subjective interpretations. To illustrate this point, crossdressing, to me, was somewhat of a back burner issue; in your view, it seems to be a matter of life and death!

2. After all these years, we must be total strangers, still. I cannot recognize myself in 75% of your comments, negative or positive. So I keep having those flashbacks of Robert DeNiro saying, "Are you talkin' to me?"

3. Where do we go from here? I honestly don't know. And perhaps there is no need to rush until we exit from a discomfort zone. I would hope for the return to proper perspective and the friendly relations in place before the storm. Will we be compelled to adopt each other's existential tribulations as a prerequisite? Sooner or later, the clouds over our heads should be drifting away!

Over the years, I've always "preached" that one should not pursue relationships artificially with anyone who drains your battery on a regular basis. Let them fall, softly, by the wayside, whoever they are! Life is short and complex. Seek the company of those who enrich your life, providing you with energy, substance, and pleasure.

And if your battery drains easily, try to find out why. Don't rely too heavily on external affection and comforting. Everyone has his own universe to tend to and most won't be around in time of need. You must have noticed my deliberate attempts to avoid phrases such as "seek the company of those who love, hug, and understand you." As reassuring as this may sound, constant clutching for outside support and affection, once you're an adult, with the exception of a few friends, has limited value (and it's not very "zen").

In seeking foremost those who enrich your life and offer sustained energy, you promote your own inner strength and tools for life. The tools have to be in your toolbox! As your self-esteem grows, your need to be loved, hugged, and accepted by others will likely decrease significantly.

Bearing in mind your request to abstain from "medication," my own in particular, allow me one last transgression as I conclude with a few personal observations on emotions, harmony, and affection (as promised earlier), placing you under no obligation.

4. I feel you should try to free yourself from the world of emotions. Your letters are filled with emotional connotations right up to the last paragraph. Don't rid yourself of emotions. Live emotional experiences fully and then move on. Don't sit on emotional issues, especially unpleasant ones. Arnaud Desjardins would go further: "Reduce your needs and emotions to a minimum and you will be free. In the midst of emotions, you cannot 'act'; you can only 'react' to life events."

5. With Valentine's Day on our doorstep, it's tough to have to admit that the heart is merely a muscular organ whose role is to maintain proper blood circulation and send oxygen throughout the body. The heart does not process emotions nor does it have anything to do with love. The hypothalamus and cerebral cortex do. Emotions, affection, and love, specifically, are attitudes, synchronized in the brain, decisions that one makes or rejects, acts of the will. The constant use of the mythological term "in your heart" is probably just an oversight on your part. True enough, we are naturally attracted to certain individuals we find compatible or physically interesting. But then you end up loving the lovable! And that's too easy! It's those other characters, the world at large, as you call them, the more or less likable, that present a challenge. But when you Love (with a capital "L"), you feel akin to others, you lend a helping hand whenever possible, you respect their entity and their property and, most of all, you promote their blossoming, actively, or at least by a policy of non-interference. And by setting a good example yourself, relying on a ripple effect. It's an act of will on your part to do so whether those people are likable or not. Even Mother Teresa would side with me on that one. To some extent, it's the art of dispassionate compassion. Not indifference; just staying cool, determined, and generous. And here's the most difficult part of all... you ask for nothing in return!

6. Follow your bliss... insofar as you do your best to stay on the road to harmony. A coveted goal, indeed, never a total victory. Harmony doesn't imply concessions, silence, or retreat in order to avoid scuffles. It resembles a clear, beautiful note that you strike on an imaginary, endless piano, a note that says who you are, where you are, and blending in with other notes. It's a quest for harmony among the cells of your body, harmony between your body and your mind, harmony between your thoughts, your discourse, and your deeds, harmony between yourself and your environment.

And never underestimate the power of your thoughts. Vigilance is required, for the thoughts that you have accepted and stored in your mind today will try to take form tomorrow. Kathy is on target when quoting Les Brown:

The only thing that can keep you from going after your dream is the person standing in your shoes, wearing your clothes, and thinking your negative thoughts.

And Les Brown would likely add: "Repeat after me: 'I deserve the best that life has to offer and I need to be happy right now! Not when a whole bunch of conditions have been met... but right now!'"

What remains to be done is for each of us to identify the import of the word "best" and then to ask ourselves: "What have I been doing lately to deserve immediate happiness?"

I'm beginning to ramble again, so I'll just end it right here, right now.

Wishing you improved conditions in the coming months, leading to serenity and stability... and, of course, harmony. Best regards to your colleagues, your readers on the internet, and your sympathetic co-tenant.

xxxx
your dad,
Florian
Loretta Ann
Permanently Banned

Post by Loretta Ann »

WOW !!!

I have copied the whole post CJ. I will refer to it often.

Thank you for posting it. Your father has put many of my thoughts into words much better than I could.

In my opinion his English is pretty good.
Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

CJ,

I am saddened by the fact that your father just does not get it, and is not likely to ever get it. It is merely a formula to him. Follow the recipe and the result will be a hormonious life. To never know what it means to feel truely passionate about something completely irrational, is to truely miss out on one of the real pleasures that humanity has to offer.

I do not wish to offend, and I hope that neither he nor you take offense, but I can not help but to vehimently disagree with your father on almost every point. Not that I do not agree with his sound psychological breakdowns of expected human behavior, I do, however I can not agree with his perceptions about perceptions.

He seems to have no concept whatever of the idea that normalcy is subjective. He does not understand that everything that we are has been predicated by our having to lie to society about our true nature to avoid discrimanation. He calmly points out that everyone lies about their sexuality as if to only justify this has his only potential shortcoming, while still neglecting the fact that he has not known what it is like to not have correct internal gender identification.

He sees it only as a shortcoming, holding you back from realizing your true potential. He is truly competitive with you. He is clealy trying to "out write" you, to the extent of using words that he then has to give us the definition, because we may not understand such big words.

I know you love your dad, but he pretty much said that you drain his battery, and until you can see things his way, there really is no point in further communication. This is essentially the same thing my brother has done to me. Basically the same argument, and the same outcome. It would seem he has engineered his life to not include a crossdresser son, and for reasons of personal bliss, he intends to keep it that way.

I know you were not that optomistic about this one last ditch effort, but I am still so sorry that it has had this outcome, I know it is not the one you wanted.

Love always,
Elizabeth
Loretta Ann
Permanently Banned

Post by Loretta Ann »

One statement that CJs Father made that I am sure many here will have difficulty with is:
And Les Brown would likely add: "Repeat after me: 'I deserve the best that life has to offer and I need to be happy right now! Not when a whole bunch of conditions have been met... but right now!'"
As long as cross dressers need to educate the world in order that they can be happy, they will be at odds with society, missing out on the best life has to offer them. And I don't see that as a recipe.
Kathy
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kathy »

Thank you, CJ, for posting your father's letter. There is much food for thought there. I will have to read it through a few more times before I can really understand how his points might or might not fit into my own "perception" of where I am as a person.

However, after my initial read through, my gut reaction was quite the opposite of Elizabeth's. One immediate example comes to mind...

When I came out to my family last summer they were all understanding and accepting. But, there was one thing that they all said - "I don't want to see you in a dress or skirt. That would just be too much." And, each of them said this independently.

While I would love to be able to just bum around the house in a comfortable skirt, I am also quite willing to accept this compromise because I can otherwise wear pretty much anything else I want to, within reason. After all, this IS my mother's home. I don't see this as being any different than your father's request that you not have red painted nails in his home.

I have seen, time and again in this forum, advice to CDs and their SOs to set some limits based on the SO's comfort level. Is it so much of a stretch for other family members to have limits as well?

While I haven't had an opportunity to really sit down and talk to my sister about her reaction, she just said "so what", I get the impression that, like your father, she just doesn't see the CDing as being that big a part of who she percieves me to be. I, on the other hand, see it as a very significant part of who I am.
Loretta Ann wrote:One statement that CJs Father made that I am sure many here will have difficulty with is:
As long as cross dressers need to educate the world in order that they can be happy, they will be at odds with society, missing out on the best life has to offer them. And I don't see that as a recipe.
Having spent some time browsing Les Brown's web site, I would say that CJ's father was probably on the mark with that remark.
'I deserve the best that life has to offer and I need to be happy right now! Not when a whole bunch of conditions have been met... but right now!'
Does this not describe pretty well where Elizabeth is at right now? She isn't attempting to overtly educate the public about crossdressing. She is simply being herself and, as such, being happy - now! That, in doing so, she is just being honest with others about this part of her being and, as such, is educating them as a by product, is, essentially, irrelevant.

Likewise, I haven't worn an item of male clothing in nearly six months. What matters to me is that I am comfortable and content and wearing what is, to me, appropriate to my lifestyle. I don't even notice if anyone is looking at me any more. But, I do dress to blend with the crowd. I am doing what makes me happy - right now. While I try to dress appropriately for the venue I am going to, if anyone there notices I'm wearing women's pants, I don't really care. Unless, of course they start throwing sticks and stones.

Perceptions are fluid, dynamic, ever changing. How I percieved crossdressing two years ago was very different from how I percieve it today. We must make allowances for our family members' feelings just as married CDs must make allowances for their SOs' feelings. Just as we hope our families will make similar allowances for our own feelings.

Kathy
Whatever you accomplish in life is a manifestation not so much of what you do, as of what you believe deeply within yourself that you deserve. - Les Brown
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. 8)

I've had a couple of days to digest this letter (it's a whopper at 32 pages, handwritten). I have such mixed feelings and thoughts about it that I'm not sure, exactly, where I want to go with this. Like Loretta said, there's much practical wisdom in his words; on the other hand, like Elizabeth said, much of what he says seems cut off from any vital emotional center (you'll notice I refrained from using the word 'heart' :? ).

Some things are obvious to me:

He loves me. He's never told me this and he plainly admitted that it's not something he can do but I know it nonetheless.

He is a man full of wisdom and that he is willing to share that wisdom with his sons is a blessing. But, sometimes, wisdom is not enough. In times of great emotional and/or psychological distress, it's often a simple touch or a softly-spoken "I love you" that are needed, not exhortations to spiritual maturity.

Despite all my attempts at explaining it to him, he has yet to realize that the locus of gender identity is not in one's sexuality but in one's deepest ego. I was not a sexual being at age 4, when I first put on my mother's clothing and fervently wished I were a girl. My father seems to think it's a matter of personality (or ego) "management" rather than one of "structure." But maybe my various talents or abilities have blinded him to the fact that I am, indeed, "ego-dystonic" ...who I am to others is not even close to who I am (or would want to be) to myself. Dismantling the ego may be a good and wise thing to do when you're 72... but when you're 44, there are still a few things your ego wants and needs to do. One of those things is to secure for itself a place in the sun despite moral censure and opprobrium.

See, right now, as things stand, this is the main difference between my father and me: when I read over his letter, my first impulse was just to phone him and tell him how much I love him and miss him and wish that things would soon right themselves between us and, normally, I would've done just that. But I didn't. After having been told to try as best I can to experience the world not from a place of emotions but from a place of psychological and spiritual detachment, I'll "sit" on what I'm feeling for a while yet as I try to "compose" myself in order to write him back. My father, on the other hand, seems able to muster whatever detachment it takes in order to remove himself from the turmoil of his own feelings before proceeding. The danger with this "dispassionately compassionate" approach is twofold: one, it resides almost exlusively in the rational mind; there's so much about we human beings that's worthy that simply transcends or involves very little the rational mind that to leave emotions behind is to cut ourselves off from much of our inner experience (including, for me, the spiritual event that changed my life all those years ago--it was an intensely emotional experience for me and still is). The other danger with "moving beyond emotions" before addressing certain issues in your life is that, if we were to wait for such a moment to come, we'd run the risk of never having the chance to let others, others we care about--really, who gives a manure about society?--how we really feel or even what we really think about something. My father says my letters are angry. I won't deny it. But he fails to realize it's a very considered and "rational" anger. I have good reason to be angry. Some who are in our shoes turn to drugs and alcohol, some to God, some to despair and suicide, some to anger and its creative energy. Dad, please, help me to meet this transgendered person who is totally in harmony with either himself or with the world around her. I want to mine this person's heart (yes, heart) and this person's soul (not something you believe has an objective existence, Dad, even though you use the word as if you did) and, to be sure, this person's mind as well. I do not have the strength you seem to think I have; I have no intention of becoming the first ever "harmonious" transgendered person in the history of the human species. It's nice to want to be harmonious but when your very life as a thinking, feeling person starts out--I repeat: starts out-- with such a shattering and fundamental identity discord, mismatch, error, defect, call it what you will, the odds are against you of your ever being in harmony with yourself (let alone with anyone or anything else)... unless, of course, you work hard at hacking off the most crucial part of who you are and burying it so deep that the semblance of harmony is preserved. Everything becomes well and good with the Smiths and the Joneses.

Well, I'm at that place in my life right now, where I'm trying very hard--for the sake of, at the very least, my own inner sense of harmony--to put myself back together again. And I'm doing this with very little help from all the king's soldiers and all the king's men.

You talk of the need for "compartments" in one's life, Dad. I would argue for the opposite. I've spent a good forty years moving in this world as a split, fragmented, and compartmentalized person. It doesn't work. Not for me, anyway. It's led me to the brink of self-annihilation. My desire to have my thoughts, words, and deeds--my very being--be in harmony both with myself and with the world at large (job, family, friends, hobbies, interests, activities, etc.) stems, precisely, from this huge and painful task I've set before myself; namely, to "re-integrate" and "de-compartmentalize" myself. This task is a do-or-die task. One of the outcomes of this inner work is that, to others (the world at large), I am a man who needs to dress like a woman. It may be that one day will come when I'll no longer have that need (the number of transgendered people in old folks homes makes that doubtful, though) but this is not that day.

Dad, I do love you and I do miss you. I have no intention of "bulldozing" our entire relationship. I'd just as soon cut off a huge part of myself all over again (and you know this to be true). But this is what I need from you: that you can spend a moment with me--mere minutes out of the three quarters of a century you've been drawing breath--and say to me, "Daniel, I see and I understand and I feel how tough things must've been for you and I just want you to know that I'm grateful to whatever powers that be that you turned out as healthy as you did, all things considered." That's all. If you cannot do so, believe me, I will understand. As you said in your letter, "That's life!" I have not as much need for external validation as you suppose (and you underestimate me if you think I do). But you're not just anyone... you're my father... the person whose blood runs in my veins, whose wisdom circulates in my own soul, whose lifelong "life-space" I share, whose weird sense of humour is a mirror to my own, whose being was a prerequisite to my own existence (again, all things considered, an existence I'm grateful for).

Can you not do this thing for me, father? (I'll even get rid of the toenail polish long enough for a visit.)

Love,
CJ

P.S.
I'll fess up: I miss sitting in that chair in the dark green bungalow's lounging area, sipping a coffee, and talking philosophy with you while staring out the window at the vineyard and farms across the lake. I do.
Last edited by CJ on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loretta Ann
Permanently Banned

Post by Loretta Ann »

My father, on the other hand, seems able to muster whatever detachment it takes in order to remove himself from the turmoil of his own feelings before proceeding.
Well CJ. I have that same ability, if you want to call it that. (which I don't.) It is more of being at a place where that it is possible to respond without your emotions controlling you or negatively affecting you. (I like the term personal management.) I have been over that with you before. It is not something you can understand (how it works) until you are there.
But this is what I need from you: that you can spend a moment with me--mere minutes out of the three quarters of a century you've been drawing breath--and say to me, "Daniel, I see and I understand and I feel how tough things must've been for you and I just want you to know that I'm grateful to whatever powers that be that you turned out as healthy as you did, all things considered."
What happens to you if he can not (or decides not to) meet your perceived need? Are you dependant upon that? Sorry but I read that as saying it is, and/or will be your dads fault. I do not agree with that. What would you do if your dad suddenly passed away? Would you still need that?

What your Dad has said could well be said by saying get over people. who are unable or wish (for reasons unknown to you) not to meet your expectations, demands, requests etc.

You have no idea how much I think I would have loved to have had a father like yours from whom it could be possible to benefit from his wisdom.

I understand the confusion and pain that accompanies the situation you have found yourself in, (spent some time there myself) and I have no intention of being cruel to you. Your father said there may be some artillery landing in your neighborhood.

The content of your post appears to point to your interpretation of your fathers faults. I found that I was unable to move towards healing and improvement until I gave that exercise up.

Nuff said.
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

I went to visit my father a couple of weekends ago. For the first time in almost eight months.

It was a cordial visit. We talked about many things... but not "that."

I will continue to go visit my father and, although I will honour and respect and love him (as I alsways have), the "I" that will be visiting him will no longer include the "real" me (meaning, the emotionally messy, irrational, gender-conflicted, "mismanaged" person that I am).

Contrary to what some may think, I'll live. I've done so in the past and I will do so in the future.

Love,
CJ