Bra fittings

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

How many of you have had a bra fitting?

In the past 6 months
12%
In the past year
6%
A couple of years ago
11%
A long, long time ago
9%
Never
61%

Total votes: 97
Sandy
Permanently Banned

Re: Bra fittings

Post by Sandy »

Geez KimberlyS can you be any cooler than you are? I mean seriously. You are such a very supportive and understanding woman and I appreciate all your posts to me where you are so carefree and that is such a joy to receive that and I do apprecaite that so much. Thanks for all the support and I hope someday that I can be the woman I am destined to be, if thats 1 year from now, 5 years from now or 10 years from now it will be because of woman like you Kim. Thanks
Joan Grey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Joan Grey »

Joan Grey wrote:While taking a solo vacation, I stopped at a Soma store along the way. As there were no customers, I struggled to get up the courage to ask for a fitting, but then a 1/2 dozen women came in and I chickened out. Hopefully some day....
Someday happened. While vacationing again, I stopped at the same store (Gainesville, VA) and got up the nerve to ask for one. Alas, while it was a great experience (my thanks to Betsy!), the closest to my size was a couple of cup sizes too big for these small puppies!
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I probably would have chickened out with a whole store of women
Best time to go is at the store opening or 6PM
Janet
Celia
Moderator and "Princess of Chat"

Post by Celia »

I had a fitting years ago at Victoria's Secret. I had a lower band size back then (40) than I do now (44 seems to be comfortable these days). That ol' devil Time . . . . :whistle:
Only the young die young.
AshleyMarie

Post by AshleyMarie »

I got fitted at VS about two months ago and I must say it has made all the difference in the world!!
Stephanie H
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie H »

I have for a vast number of years gone either as Stephanie or with my forms to ensure that the cup size was correct for them. Different manufactures and with in the same brand, the cup size is different and if there is a difference the cup size, I have found that there is an impact on the band size as well as the positioning of the shoulder straps. Having someone always help. Usually the staff will be very cordial and attentive when there a few to no customers in the store. Chose the correct time of day is as important as choosing the correct bra size. Both require prudence in making the proper selection.
Stephanie
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ms. Erin »

After loosing a little bit weight I went to VS and asked for some advise. (I was plus size at first which they don't have at VS, so now I am okay size wise)

The lady was very helpful and she told me I was 38C or 40C if 38C was to tight, but the 38C does a good job. I told her that with hormones I might expect 2 cups of growth at the most in 4 years or so, but I don't want to wait that long.

She got me a 38C with an 2 cup extra increase in bust. This looks so good on me, proportional and I am very confident in wearing this one. It's my first "real" VS bra.

So far I have been told I am 38C at two locations. Still I have no idea how to really figure out the sizes. But I trust the VS bra professional. =D>

PS my avatar includes this bra.
I am a woman of trans experience.
DanielleM
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by DanielleM »

I trusted the guides that you find online with the major retailers as a start. 42B was the answer. Though that size "fit" it didn't seem to sit right. My forms were made to make me a B but the bras all held my boobs too high and felt constricting. I did read the article on going down one band size and up a cup size but something didn't seem to make sense about that. Until yesterday.
I was out with my wife shopping and she asked if I wanted to shop for my her. We bought a top and capris and then into lingerie. I wanted bras with some color, not black and white.. and finding any bra in 42B was hard. She suggested the down a band size up a cup size. So we picked out two bras.. vanity fair, one pink and one baby blue. I tried them on and wow! What a difference. The band feels about the same but the shoulder straps are longer and that lets everything sit a little lower on my chest. I think the 40C is considered full figure and so made for a slightly larger frame.
Now the band feels right, my boobs sit lower which looks and feels so much better and the cups cradle my boobs just fine... not loose... a concern with the larger cup size and the panel between the cups sits flatter.
It's taking time but I'm getting there. :)
Don't worry about what other people think, because they don't.
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

I finally worked uo the courage a few years ago to have a fitting a Bali outlet store. It turned out I was wearing the riight size, 36B. The sales lady did say wih my frame and build I could go larger. I did eventually order some larger forms and went back to the same store and sales lady for new fitting with them. I turned out to be a full 36C with the new forms. She explained that meant It I may have to go up to a D cup depending on the bra but regardless I shuld always try a bra on before buying it. Do GG`s have this issue? Does the bra style and manufacturer possibly change your band or cup size?
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Bali outlets are wonderful when they are dealing with us. I have always
been treated wonderfully by the staff whether en drab or en femme
I agree that you should be trying on a bra before buying. Most of the
shops will let you try the bra on before buying. This may surprise you
but the really just want to sell products without making judgements
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

Janet Bern wrote:This may surprise you but the really just want to sell products without making judgements
Although I've never been in for a bra fitting, I've found this to be very true for all the other feminine shopping and services (i.e. nails, wigs) I've done and do.

As for a bra, early on I went through many before finding the perfect one. I've found the Bali 3432 to be an excellent fit with great support and coverage for my forms. They come in a variety of colors, and they're also quite pretty with lace material.
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Cute bra, Robyn, but not offered in my size. My husband never had a fitting and would be scared to near death to do so. Sneaking this wife's personnel collection gave him a good idea were to start.

Years ago, seeing a man shopping in the lady's department, I assumed they were forced to do so as in gift buying. Now, I give these nervous wreaks a welcoming smile.
Melissa Mac wrote: I turned out to be a full 36C with the new forms. She explained that meant It I may have to go up to a D cup depending on the bra but regardless I shuld always try a bra on before buying it. Do GG`s have this issue? Does the bra style and manufacturer possibly change your band or cup size?
Very much so, Melissa. Not so much the band size as much as cup sizes. Then the issue you gals have is holding forms in place. Those cute little lacy bras won't hold breasts in place, natural or forms.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Eileen (SO) wrote:
Those cute little lacy bras won't hold breasts in place, natural or forms.

Eileen
Truer words have never been spoken Eileen though God knows most if not all of us gils have tried them! :shock:
Alexia
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Alexia »

Why would I need a bra fitting? :-k

I am in the fortunate position that I can change cup size in a heartbeat.

Furthermore, I can use a tape measure to measure the other dimensions that I can't change.
What else is there to measure? Literally nothing! I've seen women with the tiniest of breasts, looking hot as hell, possibly without knowing it themselves, but I.. :(
Even if I had the most beautiful fake breasts in the world, I doubt it would matter, other than maybe for back support if wearing a big size for too long.
Right now, I mostly use fabric, which doesn't weigh very much, so I don't see the point.
Even if there was anything to measure, there are guides online to help you with that, my favourite online shops have them on their service pages, which is what I used to find out my 'size'.

I really don't see the advantage to standing there, sweating profusely, as someone measures me for something like that, while thinking who knows what about me.

No, I don't see it. [-(

If I were a GG, yes, I've read many of them buy bras that really don't fit and I can't wrap my head around that.
If you are a GG, by all means, go for a fitting, you might be surprised! :shock:
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I thought I would add this to those that are nervous about asking for a fitting

Fittings usually occur when you go to a shop and the SA asks if they can help
Just say yes you can..and then be specific as to what you are looking for.
example.. I think I am a size 40C but am not sure and I am looking for
a full coverage bra for myself.. (bring your breastforms)
as you get talking she will walk around with you and she will probably
measure you.. and suggest a bra.. ask if you can try it on,, no problem.
Best time to visit is when they open or around 6PM when there is light traffic
I usually go to Maidenform. Bali or Soma outlets...