20 trends you're too old to wear

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

20 trends you're too old to wear

Post by Davita »

Notice the ">" on the picture to move through the list. See http://www.lifescript.com/well-being/m- ... _wear.aspx.

Myself, I don't agree with all of them and some don't just relate to age, but what your body is really like. For example, my tummy is not the best thing I should be showing off to the public -- old or not.
{squeezes}
Davita
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: 20 trends you're too old to wear

Post by Lacey Hadley »

While age appropriate has a place, it is not the hard line it may sound as. There are 20 somethings who due to lifestyle choices should not wear any short skirts, tight pants and cleavage showing tops. There are many GG's young ones too who can't walk in heels because they never learned as teens but you will see 40-50 somethings who can walk beautifully in tall heels.

There are youngsters with lousy skin from lousy diets or too much sun and should not wear makeup that over hi-lites their face. But a more mature gal who took care of her skin may be able to sex it up make up wise if need be.

I think most women of most ages should wear hosiery when in skirts or dresses, as IMO 9/10 GG's young or old may not have the near perfect legs to go bare. IMO for one a professional woman of any age should be in hosiery, either skin tone matching/complimenting to help shape and hi-lite legs or a fashion style/colour to hi-lite the outfit. Sorry but bare legs are more a thing in USA and Canada and IMO was and is a lousy fashion trend. Pantyhose if of a good quality and proper fit are NOT uncomfortable. They are not too hot either. Women of the past, even in warmer climates if in a skirt or dress most often wore hosiery, pantyhose or stockings.

Dress to better fit your body more than a chronological age. If you are overweight, but want to really to look good, No yoga pants for you, No mini-skirts for you, no halter tops for you. Yes to a nice pantsuit and even with tasteful high heeled shoes or boots. Yes to a knee length skirt or dress with hose on. Yes to 'zingy' coloured outfit/dress to match your personality if you are extroverted. No to outrageous makeup if you are a fly on the wall, introvert, no to torn jeans for the work place young or more mature. Yes to wearing heels that FIT ["Buy the right size" If you are GG and you measure a size 9 then buy a size 9 not cram into size 8 or 7] be it at an office job or going out for a diner, a show and/or a night club. If you are looking for a man then a pair of heels while grocery shopping may help Tee Hee. :haha:

Age matters but body shape and who you are, introvert/extrovert matters more. I'm middle aged but I look young and younger enfemme than in drab, makeup can work well :yes: . I am able to strut in heels and do house work and such in them for hours without torturing myself as I buy ones THAT FIT!

I try to do my makeup to make me look feminine and if I feel extroverted a bit pushed to the edge at times. IT'S FUN!

I miss as a male, GG's dressing well at all ages, young, middle aged and older, though many over 40-50 GG's still tend to dress nice for their age and body style. Yes as a male and a CDer, I love seeing ladies dressing well and even a bit sexy 20-30-40-50 somethings, if they have the bodies and mindset to do so. A 20 something who is 30lbs.+ overweight will not look good dressed as Katy Perry going to a night club. My ex-wife was a bit buxom, a bit over weight but she could dress feminine and sexy too. She knew her body and matched her dressing to her attitude. I as a man LUVED IT! \:D/
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Davita wrote:Myself, I don't agree with all of them and some don't just relate to age, but what your body is really like.
I totally agree, Davita.
DonnaT
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I tend to agree with you Davita however every girl here who goes out and about should read this article and ask themselves

Am I guilty of this?

If so you may want to reconsider what you wear to the mall, grocery store, etc. next time.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

The darn link keeps freezing up, I'm blaming my cheap *ssed computer. A major issue I had with my CD husband's wardrobe was clothing too tight and skirts too short.
She's more confidant now, going out in public. Heels are 4" max and her wardrobe reflects that of a near 60 lady, not a 20 something co-ed.

One bit I could see of this link I wanted to address, cleavage. Isn't it amazing when young ladies show everything but the nipples and get mad when someone stares? Excessive cleavage is never a good look at any age. Mature, buxom women like myself can't help but to show some.
I didn't think that a CD wearing forms could show cleavage unless there was a lot of chest flab to smush together.

I noticed too, in the very first photo before starting the 20 trends, the lady's arm has a bracelet and watch on the same wrist. Who does that?

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Eileen -

Yes, I agree with your comments.

People should always dress their age, especially CD/TGs who seem to have the ability to 'go too far' in their wardrobe choices and usually do ... then they wonder why they are drawing all the attention and being 'outed' as a man-in-a-dress. [-X

Yes, that includes overdoing it with the makeup and jewelry, which are 2 of my biggest pet peeves ... especially lipstick that 'transfers' to other objects (cups, glasses) and red-tone nail polishes that do the same thing. [-(

Most GG's don't dress like that, so no matter how good a CD/TG thinks they look in their non-age appropriate clothing, makeup and jewelry, they are really outing themselves because they're not fooling anyone (but themselves). The general public may not appear to notice you, but believe me, we do. We're just not going to act like a gang of teenage girls and make it obvious to everyone.

Just because something looks good on you - or better yet you *think* it looks good on you - does not mean you should actually go out in public dressed like that. :no:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Well what can this old gal tell you'al :-k

I have never gone over board on my dressing other then to dress classy nice but never over done, I have been a CD'er before most of you were born and have learned with the help of a wonder wife what to wear and what not to wear, believe me a supporting wife will make all the difference ``5

But I believe ( IMO) it's all in how you act in public and how you present yourself, remember you are a women not a man in drag [-X

I still wear stockings and 3" heels when I go out ( which isn't enough anymore) never over load the makeup and I am what I am, a happy CD'er *-*
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

You've had good tutoring, Carol Ann. Someday I'll see the whole link. Is excessive jewelry mentioned? 15 bracelets each arm is a give away, no matter how pretty they are.

Eileen
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

I had a look at those photos and did the Q,s im well with in how I see myself ,im not a fuddy duddy type woman and im sure not a young chic, at 69 im well dressed know what suits my body shape size and look if your looking at me from the to days look , not a fashion follower yet smart tidy and neat no baggage , shoes or boots or sneakers when dressed down for walking ,

For my size and weight plus height very fit and active and on the go, no excess weight very trim and body shape of a good looking female and my body sizing is pretty good ,
I wont say sexy just good looking . and im happy with my over all look ,

And this afternoon I was with our Brass Band doing a concert for our older people in their Iona Home.
Oamaru,

dressed in a long black skirt, blouse in white with ruffels in front my white head wear, and black boots
50 of us attended we had 10 members = Band .

...noeleena...
Angie G
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Angie G »

tried the quiz and it has me as dressing my age. But most of the time I dress way to young for my age. Who wants to be an old lady I can have my fantasys can't I.
(--)
Angie
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

I say if you can rock the outfit go for it... especially if it make you happy!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Angie G wrote: Who wants to be an old lady I can have my fantasys can't I.
Angie
Hey hey, Angie. Wine gets better with age and this 'old' lady can dress up damn hot when I've a mind to. :wink:
The best looking woman in the room looks alluring, not slutty.

Eileen
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

Ahhh, one of my favorite subjects. Age appropriate is a bit of a myth because it truly is body shape and fitness that determines how well clothes will look on you. I've seen 60-70 yr olds rock those pencil skirts and 20 somethings with love handles that made them look ridiculous. Sure you can wear whatever you want and most of the posters here likely are well dressed women, but be forewarned that you don't ever look like these Walmart Crossdressers https://www.pinterest.com/tasidevil/cro ... t-walmart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Silver Lady has good advice. If you want to draw attention then draw the kind of attention that says you are one stylish lady. Remember, how you dress is people's first perception of you so make it a good one. Our Stylish Crossdresser series is a place to start http://www.sisterhouse.net/dressingroom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, with the image of who you want to be. These ladies are the fashion icons of our crossdressing world and trans community. Then check out Tips for Beginning Crossdressers by Vera Wylde in the Library. Vera is a CD and DQ both and her videos give you some pretty sound advice. And this Pinterest page on Different Girls https://www.pinterest.com/tasidevil/different-girls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is my own personal idea of a Lookbook.

I'm fortunate living in Merida MX because the women here dress well in all the social classes,, but I live just a few minutes from our largest fashion mall and it's a pleasure to see a plethora and hugh variety of well dressed women from slacks and tights to minis and maxis, it's all here. Several years ago my wife and I went to the food court at this mall and sat and watched women. She identified some fashion mistake in 90% of the women, abet small mistakes, but when a woman is well put together, you know it. That's what you want to be. It will take some effort but it is achievable for most of us
Tasi
Be all you can be