Washing a wig!

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Victoria K.
Miss Emerald Goddess

Washing a wig!

Post by Victoria K. »

For those who use wigs! how do you wash them??
Spreading the love that the world desperately needs and being true to yourself. ❤
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Washing a wig!

Post by Lacey Hadley »

Hi Victoria,

I use a wig shampoo and a wig conditioner (currently Brandywine branded, bought off Ebay).

1: I fill a clean kitchen sink with cool water and shampoo in one basin and cool water in the other for rinsing.
2: I carefully lay the wig in to water and shampoo basin and let soak for a few minutes. I carefully swish the wig in the water as well.
3: I pull wig out and let water run off before I transfer into the second basin of only cool water, letting wig sit in cool water as I refill the first basin with water and wig conditioner.
4: I then put the wig into the conditioner filled basin and swish the wig lightly around and let it soak a few minutes.
5: I refill the second basin with cool water, pull the wig out, let the water run off and place wig in basin of cool water.
6: I ready a dry bath towel on a counter top and then pull the wig out of cool water, drip off the excess water.
7: Place the wig on the towel and roll the towel up with wig inside. Unroll and most of the water should then be off the wig.
8: Shake wig out a bit and place wig on a wig stand or Styrofoam wig head and let air dry. If its a synthetic wig do not blow dry and do not brush or comb while wet.
9: Once suitably dry then one can carefully brush or comb wig out as needed.

Hope this helps.

Well that is how I learned to wash and dry a wig. It works well for me. :sigh: :coffee:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

Hi Victoria

For a synthetic wig you will need special wig shampoo. I got mine from the wig manufacturer's website. Your supplier may be able to recommend a suitable product.
You should first gently remove any tangles with your fingers or a Tangle Teezer.
Fill a bowl with cold water and add a bottle cap of wig shampoo.
Immerse the wig in the cold water and allow to soak for 3-5 minutes, gently swishing up and down.
Rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Do not squeeze or twist the wig but remove excess water by dabbing with a towel.
Hang the wig on a wig stand or styling head and allow to dry at room temperature.

Wigs made with human hair can be washed with a mild shampoo that you would use on your own hair and you should use warmer water.
Penny
Hanna
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Hanna »

I just washed three of mine, and used Lacey's method. Except to dry , when I took them out of the towel, I hung them upside down on a plastic clothes hanger.
Do not use hot water-----------, warm to cool only. I used regular shampoo, not a lot, and conditioner- not a lot.

Google it-- lots of hints there.