Love Leggings?

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Love Leggings?

Post by Emily »

I absolutely love leggings! I don't think there is anything quite like a pair of black leggings with brown boots...

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of GG's in these cute outfits and I've been inspired to put my own together. Black leggings, tall brown boots... just trying to figure out a top. I'm thinking about a white tee with a thick grey cardigan and an infinity scarf... In my mind's eye, it looks soooo cute and feminine. Perfect for this fall weather, IMO!

Any other girls that just love their leggings??? :sigh:
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Re: Love Leggings?

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Sorry, but I'm of the opinion that leggings - and yoga pants, etc. - belong one place and one place only: the gym / fitness center. [-(

Most people I've seen wearing leggings and the like 'out in public' have no idea how ridiculous they look in them . . . and there is no hiding of anything while wearing them. :no: Sorry, but that goes double and triple for MTF CDs/TGs. [-X

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

I agree that leggings usually do not look so flattering on most bodies, GG or CD, at least if only worn alone. :nuh_uh: Leggings if you are of slim enough body and worn say with a skirt or say a shirt dress and I'd say with boots, flats, wedges or modest spike heels can be ok on a GG or a CD.

Sadly and I apologize in advance if my point offends some but women or cders who are weight and body shape challenged, leggings will not really look good. Sorry but some clothing is by design only for weight and shape appropriate bodies and again, leggings should be worn with a skirt or shirt dress. I know say the younger say under age 20 crowd may be able to pull off leggings, but even most of them should not wear them alone. [-X =; IMO

That said, I'd sooner put on a pair of proper tights from 40Denier in weight and up including, ribbed tights and match with the right skirt or dress. Tights work very well with most any boot, ankle, calf high, knee high, flats, wedges and modest chunky or spikey heel, say oh up to 4 inches.

just sayin :coffee:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Thanks for the feedback Lacey and SilverLady. :)

For the most part, I agree with you both - leggings can look ridiculous and in some cases, downright bad, but with just the right outfit, they can look really good... IMO! :mrgreen:

Lacey, if I had to choose between leggings or tights - I'd definitely go with tights worn with a skirt or dress, absolutely... but sometimes you see an outfit which just inspires you to put your own together. Even if its a look you can't quite pull off, it's still a ton of fun to see if it works or not, LOL!

Oh and last thing... this isn't an outfit I'd be planning to wear out in public. Just love the look, think it might work - feeling a little inspired is all! :sigh:
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

Hey lexi, I totally agree with you , leggings with knee high boots, a nice skirt, cami top, nice long cardigan, awesome look !!! We as cdrsers wouldn't just wear leggings by themselves as our bodies are in most cases not as feminine as gg's, so I see where silver lady and lacey are coming from. With that said , you are 100% correct, if you wear leggings with the right clothing to compliment them, they can look very fashionable. AS cdrsers we are always trying to improve our look, so you go girl!!! , I for one would love to see you in that outfit lexi, there is no end to being fashionable in today's world, makes cdrsing so much fun. Nice to have lots of opinions, we just try our best to be as feminine as possible, our respect for women is 150%, this haven is awesome, ty silver lady and lacey for your input, and ty lexi for being so creative ,nicole ;)
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

One of the biggest parts of crossdressing for us is that female fashions are so much more diverse and fun than male fashions are. We as CD'ers like GG's can experiment and play with fashions. As 'dudes' we really do not have the same breadth of choice and versatility in drab mode. So if you enjoy playing with leggings in this case, then ok but like all feminine fashions please LOOK IN A MIRROR FIRST especially if you do wish to go out en femme. Most every GG when dressing to go out in public will look at herself in a mirror first before she leaves out the door. Most of us 'dudes's often don't. Oh we may look to see if our hair is combed, face cleaned and/or shaved and our teeth are clean but most males do not look at their outfits before they leave out the door. Many gay males do though. :)

As we CD'ers find out and as we may get more involved with dressing, we will often think about what fashions we wish to pull out and mix before we begin to dress. It's so odd as males but geez it's fun! :yes: For us 'dudes' as in drab we often don't think as much about this.

I mean for me as a 'dude' I dress well enough and make sure I do not look as if just a rolled out of a BFI bin. But as careful as I dress in drab, it's still more of grab this shirt, those pants and comb what l have left of my hair, shave, brush the ivories and put on from my few male pairs of shoes a pair of shoes that are ok to good looking and if need be grab a males jacket.

As Lacey, WELL THAT'S A WHOLE OTHER WORLD! :yes: I will often beginning in drab mode think about what I want to wear en femme. How do I want to dress as Lacey, cute, casual, fun, flirty, formal, business woman like or sexy, even a bit tarty :blush: etc??? I then begin to imagine from my wardrobe and shoes/boots/ hair and make up what I would like to pull out and put together.

Funny as most of us in drab with SO's/ Wives/ LTR GF's would or did laugh, smirk and roll eyes as the ladies we had/have in our lives would do this and they would even discuss this with their GF's. But we learned or quietly we knew as crossdressers that it's a part of the fun of being feminine and that sweet journey to being girly. ***()*** :thumbsup: :yes:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

Hey lacey, well put, exactly what lexi and I were commenting on when putting a outfit together, like the other clothes that can make leggings look feminine even for us cdrsers. I don't go out if I don't pass andpresent myself as a nicely dressed female. great points lacey, lacey,lexi,nicole, all canucks, do I see a pattern here lol!!!! This haven is awesome, keep up the great work keeping it this way silverlady, you are so great at keeping this haven real and well managed ty silverlady :)
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

The terminology must be an age thing. When I grew up, little girls wore tights. Thicker than hosiery, different colors, and under a skirt. Leggings were much thicker and worn to keep legs warm for workouts such as dance classes. I can't see where leggings are feminine wear compared to hose or tights.
I've only seen the 20's or so wearing tights with skirts now days. In my peer group, past 6th grade, no girls wore tights, we wore pantyhose. :yes: Budding young ladies dressing like adult women at last.

I agree that robust women should never wear form fitting clothing of any kind. Nor do I like to see skinny gals clothing so tight the ovaries are showing. How a CD could wear tights/leggings without a skirt is beyond me.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Nicole Rose wrote:Hey lexi, I totally agree with you... ty lexi for being so creative.
:)

Thanks so much, Nicole! :blush: I have an outfit put together that I think will really work, but there's always soooo much more to choose from if it doesn't! :yes:
Lacey Hadley wrote:One of the biggest parts of crossdressing for us is that female fashions are so much more diverse and fun than male fashions are.

As we CD'ers find out and as we may get more involved with dressing, we will often think about what fashions we wish to pull out and mix before we begin to dress.
Agreed, Lacey. In a roundabout way, this is what I was trying to say, LOL! Oh, and BTW... I always use the mirror in drab and especially en femme.
Eileen (SO) wrote:The terminology must be an age thing. I can't see where leggings are feminine wear compared to hose or tights.
Eileen, I'm no expert when it comes to women's fashions. I love them, but I still have lots to learn, I'm sure! :lol: But this is my understanding: pantyhose - sheer, sexy and feminine. Same with tights, but they are generally thicker and opaque - love plush tights in the wintertime myself! Tights are usually available in a whole lot of different colours and are generally more fashion-forward than regular pantyhose. Leggings are thicker still - and these days, often worn as pants by many, many GG's. And I guess the debate goes on whether this is socially acceptable or not... I for one, am all for leggings worn as pants (GG's of course, LOL!).
Nicole Rose wrote:great points lacey, lacey,lexi,nicole, all canucks, do I see a pattern here lol!!!! This haven is awesome, keep up the great work keeping it this way silverlady, you are so great at keeping this haven real and well managed ty silverlady :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome post, Nicole! Agreed - 100% :bigsmile:
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

As Lexi says there are various types of leg coverings going from sheer stockings or tights up to leggings. In UK a lot of GGs wear leggings which are just footless tights of 40 den or more . I myself love wearing these and have several pairs and often wear either barefotted of with a pair of socks to cover the bare ankles under my male trousers. There are some GGs who wear "leggings" which are just very skinny tight fitting trousers.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Personally I love leggings! They are comfy and easy to wear. Granted I don't pair them with a crop top or a little cami top as I have seen some GG's do but with a long t-short or sweater they are ideal for grocery shopping or just running errands. I will grant you that anyone over the size 16 (GG or otherwise) probably shouldn't wear them but that is up to them.

They are not acceptable office attire as yoga pants are not but for casual wear what is the issue?.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I am with SL on this one. I am tired of looking at all if the yoga pants and leggings showing off every bump on their azz. Even on the skinny mini girls. But on the flip side they can be worn in good taste as some girls do not know to wear them right. I think they are ok with a long top or shorter dress, or skirt, some thing that covers their azz. Please leave something to the imagination. When I can tell that they have on stripe or some pattern underwear, lets be real, they are way too thin and need something over them. So just wear something over them anyway.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Seems like there's quite the divide...

I guess you either love 'em, or you hate 'em! :P

Me, I just couldn't resist... I just bought myself another pair! :)
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have to vote with the love leggings crowd. =D> They are comfy and can be accessorized many ways. I do tend to agree most women have to realize if you are going to wear them to wear a longer top or jacket or something to keep things in perspective. I remember when leggings first hit the fashion scene back in the late 80's. Back then they were always paired with a tunic style top and that is still how I wear them today. If I want someone to know what color panties I have on I can think of better ways than showing them through a pair of leggings! :lol:
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Linda S
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Linda S »

Eileen (SO) wrote:The terminology must be an age thing. When I grew up, little girls wore tights. Thicker than hosiery, different colors, and under a skirt. Leggings were much thicker and worn to keep legs warm for workouts such as dance classes. I can't see where leggings are feminine wear compared to hose or tights.
I've only seen the 20's or so wearing tights with skirts now days. In my peer group, past 6th grade, no girls wore tights, we wore pantyhose. :yes: Budding young ladies dressing like adult women at last.

I agree that robust women should never wear form fitting clothing of any kind. Nor do I like to see skinny gals clothing so tight the ovaries are showing. How a CD could wear tights/leggings without a skirt is beyond me.

Eileen
I think you have the terminology exactly right. The only complication might be for members from the UK, where I believe "tights" refers to any kind of female hosiery, even the sheer type that we in the US know as pantyhose or nylons.

I too remember when opaque tights were mostly worn by little girls. But recently they've become a grown-up fashion item as well. I think a lot of women wear them to offset the exposure of a short skirt. In fact, one of my favorite fall/winter looks is a soft black turtleneck, a plaid/checkered miniskirt, black opaque tights, and knee-high black patent boots. It's sexy but conservative at the same time; I love the contradiction - I'm showing some leg, but hiding it at the same time.