Which decade?

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Which decade?

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Had dinner with a few CD friends last night and the subject of who wore what for Halloween came up. Several of them wore 1950's style outfits think June Cleaver. A couple of them went more late 60's, early 70's think mini skirts and hot pants while 1 went with a disco style costume. That lead to a discussion of different decades and the differences of fashions which obviously lead to which one had the more feminine styles.

My question is what decade of fashion appeals to you and why? I have several and will give my answer in a bit but surious what all of you think.
Eileen (SO)

Re: Which decade?

Post by Eileen (SO) »

As a little girl, the family watched the Dick van Dyke Show. I loved Laura Petrie! Stirrup pants were a thing then. Also, Gunsmoke was a favorite. Kitty was so pretty. In grade school in the sixties, I was BatGirl one year, LOL!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Tough question Deidre! There are so many to choose and IMO several decades that definitely deserve consideration but I will pick one. :-k

I know it has been panned and maybe I am a little biased as it was when I transitioned, had my GAS, and got married but I have to say the 80's. From disco fashions and slit skirts early on through Gunnie Sax dresses and jump suits through shoulder pads that made every woman look like a linebacker to the return of the short skirt, the debut of leggings and yes even stirrup slacks there was always a new fashion trend to try and wear. Sure some have endured better than others but there it was definitely a feminine flair to at least most of them.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi ,

I quess for me is very easy as I,m Prussian ,/ Scottisch For us I,m a 1400 to 1700 style and our garb is very suitable for myself and I,m more at home wearing that as it represents more of my nature who I am and being a female I am better at expressing myself in almost all of what I do from
die Kúchenfrau zur music und einfach mein selbst zu sein .=
the kitchen woman to music and just being who I am.

styles have changed over time and many are quite different , in my day to day and evening wear nice neat tidy and some are quite sexy and depends on the event or groups I,m very involved with,

Dancing rock and roll swing to Ball room and range from 1920,s flapper,s to 60, 70,s and I dress accordingly , uniform,s are another Military , plus Scottisch , at 72 I do like to look smart and well dressed and being well known and in the public so it,s very importaint how I dress, so .

Nur eine deutsche Frau

= a German woman.

...noeleené...
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I like the June Cleaver type fashions of the 50's and 60's. They look so put together in their dresses and skirts.

I also like the Victorian fashions with the big gowns and all of the layers and corsets.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

I feel like a kid in a candy store. So many choices, which to choose?

TBH I kind of like the current fashions. With the return of ruffled blouses and puffy sleeves seems to point to a return of more feminine fashions. Add to that so many choices. Last week I wore slacks, a skort, a dress, and even my leather skirt to work. Even the hemlines offer variety from short to maxi. We also have an almost infinite choice of heels and heel heights today from sexy stiletto heel sandals to flat heeled riding boots and everything in between.

Fun to reminisce but with the wide variety today's fashions offer I have to choose here and now.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

The Fifties for sure!! Full skirts, shirtwaist dresses, crinolines, petticoats, chiffon, pearls and all.

Just call me "June".

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I like long skirts (prairie) and short skirts (skorts) that fit my frame well.
I'm a leg narcissist. :P
I reckon these types fit a few different decades, including the current ones.
DonnaT
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

I'm with you Sarah, so many choices.

Although it was before my time I have to say the era of mini skirts and go-go boots! Had to be fun to be a girl back then! It was when women could be women and there was no unisex fashions to confuse the issue
Cathey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Cathey »

:) love all elegant or high society dresses. especially the ones from the early 1800, O:)

but they are very expensive, and you still need to buy accessories to go with them. :(
not a real fan of the 60's and 70's :-k
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Melissa Mac wrote: Although it was before my time I have to say the era of mini skirts and go-go boots! Had to be fun to be a girl back then! It was when women could be women and there was no unisex fashions to confuse the issue
Oh, Go-Go boots! In the early 70's, 7th & 8th grade, all the cool girls wore boots and really short skirts. Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In was a big show at the time. That show's fashions are what we wore back then. Then we grew up, somewhat. I still like big hoop earrings.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Lots to consider but I have to pick the 70's. It started one way with mini skirts and hot pants then went to longer hems and very feminine fashions IMO then ended with the disco look. So many different fashions all rolled into 10 years, I even liked the much maligned gaucho pants. Just my 2 cents worth here.
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

I agree with several of you in there are so many to choose and IMO all I have seen mentioned bring images to my mind.

Maybe because it was when I transitioned and many wonderful other things happened in my life I have to say the 90's. I still vividly remember the power suits all us business women wore and while uncomfortable at times and really meant nothing in relation to our ability to do the job damn we looked good in them! :lol:
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt