Should never come back

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Should never come back

Post by Diana Michelle »

The post about favorite decade got me thinking about fashions gone by. What fashion or fashion trend should stay dead and buried?

There are many I can think of but perhaps my most hated of hated was the "shoulder pad" look back on the 80's. I have big enough shoulders I don't need to look a linebacker! :lol:
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: Should never come back

Post by KimberlyS »

Ah yes the shoulder pads was a bad one.

One other I think should stay dead is balloon pants. Baggy but narrow at the ankle. Uggg.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

Both good choices. ``5

For me it would be that grungy, slutty , trashy look Madonna popularized back in the 80's
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I agree with the baggy pants and slutty look. Can we get rid of intentionally ripped jeans while we're at it? Shoulder pads were popular way back in the 30's. As any movie with Lauren Bacall and Bogie will attest. Strong shoulders suggest strength and power for both men and women.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Eileen (SO) wrote:.... Can we get rid of intentionally ripped jeans while we're at it?
I so agree Eileen. If I had known ripped jeans were going to be so popular I would have saved a lot of my old jeans and sold them for big dollars. :mrgreen:

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

Lots of good ones here. I am going back a bit further. Not that it was my era but I have seen pictures of my Grandmother back in the 50s with her little white gloves and pill box hat. Please don't ever let that come back!
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

Oh, but let's have shirtwaist dresses with full skirts make a comeback! Give me June Cleaver and Donna Reed any day over today's near-naked looks.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

OMG there are so many! Which one to choose?

I guess maybe the one first and foremost in my mind and this may upset a few here would be the petticoat or crinoline or whatever you want to call it of the 50s.

Wore one a few years back to a 50s party and it was uncomfortable, made it tough to sit, even tougher in the powder room, and took me more than a few tries to get situated in the car.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Bullet bras! I was quite young, (really!) when they were popular. Seemed normal at the time, till some of my husband's friends brought up the retro look. They look awful to wear.

Eillen
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Eileen (SO) wrote:Bullet bras! ....... They look awful to wear.
Yea can not imagine they had to be comfortable to wear. Do not see many cone shaped breasts out there.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote:Bullet bras! ... They look awful to wear.

Eillen
Amen Eileen! Wore one to a 50s party at the urging of my husband! Couldn't wait to get out of it I think that was maybe the first time I checked a bra for the drive home. ..OO..
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

A current trend that needs to go away and stay gone is the no hose look. I can appreciate pantyhose is not the most comfortable garment but there are alternatives such as thigh high stockings.

Pretty much every woman over 30 has flaws on her legs hosiery can hide. I have seen some pretty disgusting looking legs recently that a good pair of sheer hose would do a lot for. Don't women look in the mirrorbefore going out or do they just not care?
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

Those huge bell bottoms, elephant bells I think they were called. Impractical and ugly!
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Uggs.

Gal at work thinks Uggs with shiny stuff on them are business casual wear. I never thought they looked good except for a cold snowy day to keep your feet warm.
Site Administrator

Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Ugg's are Uggly.

Never liked them one bit.

Eileen