What fashion of the past should come back?

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

What fashion of the past should come back?

Post by Diana Michelle »

OK we have a thread about what fashion should never come back what about what fashion of old should come back?

For me it would be the Gunne Sax dresses of the 80s. They were so soft and feminine. They were in many ways a modern salute to bygone days.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: What fashion of the past should come back?

Post by Karen Ski »

Good one Diana! I loved those as well.

I am going to say the disco fashions! So elegant, fun, and yes even sexy. Not that I would wear them today but they were a lot of fun back in the day.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

How about any sense of fashion? Women usually dressed better than their male partners, now even that's gone. I was at a wake recently, the husband wore a clean t-shirt and jeans. The wife wore a mini skirt and hooker heels. Yeesh!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

If we're to pick a single fashion I would love to see come back it would be those satiny bow blouses of old. I remember the first one I got one I was about 14 or 15 and I felt so grown up.
Eileen (SO) wrote:How about any sense of fashion? Women usually dressed better than their male partners, now even that's gone.

Eileen
I tend to agree with you Eileen about how "casual" seems to have taken over circumstances where more formal or dressier attire used to be just understood. I would ask do you know their circumstances or situation at the moment. Perhaps he was on his way to work.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

You are all so very right: "Casual" has gone to the extreme, almost to the level of disrespect in many situations. While wearing a dress or coat and tie to Walmart's might be a bit excessive, surely a "wake" or church or school function is hardly a T-shirt level event.

While I long for the 1950's and '60's with women in dresses and pearls, I can understand the GG's feelings that those represented repression and now "Pants = Power" for many. But like the comment above, I long for the "pretty" of a Gunne Sax dress on a lady. Something that says, "I'm a woman, and I'm proud of it and respect myself."

Oh, June Cleaver, if you're looking down on us, shower us with your grace and style.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Lot of good ones here. I remember when we went "corporate casual" at work and even though there was a list given out with suggested ideas some took it a bit far. Several weeks after the rollout there was another meeting clarifying the "unofficial rules." Yes there are places slacks are more fitting such as a plant, the track, or the E garage I generally wear a skirt or dress if I am going to be in the office .

As for something I would love to see come back I have to say the "designer" jeans of the 70s. Thought they were before my time I have seen pictures of my mother and aunt in their Jordache or Gloria Vanderbilt jeans back them and they looked hot!
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Good one Heather! Brings up a lot of memories.

Going to add another one here, matching shoes. Back in the olden days I had pumps in probably 15 or even 20 colors to match my suits for work and dresses. Even had a pair of denim pumps for denim outfits. Nowadays 90% of what you see is black or nude with an occasional white thrown in the summer.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

OMG so many good ones here!

How about just dressy outfits in general? Too many seem to take the casual look to far for things like weddings and parties.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Amanda R wrote:How about just dressy outfits in general? Too many seem to take the casual look to far for things like weddings and parties.
I agree. So many do not dress up. They just wear jeans to special occasions. Both gals and guys. And often guys are worse.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

A fashion trend that seems to come and go I wish would stay in fashion always, velvet. This year I got a red velvet dress for Christmas and IMO I looked pretty good in it. Kyle liked it on me and I got compliments from everyone on it. Maybe if dressier clothes like velvet dresses stayed in style people might start to drift back away from jeans and khakis as acceptable dressy attire.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Never got to wear them but have seen pictures of other women wearing them bell bottoms! I know there are flare leg and boot cut jeans and slacks today but they are not same. IMO they were figure flattering and looked so sharp.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Unfortunately, bell bottoms only looked good when they were fairly new. The hem quickly frayed from the pavement. I think that's about the time pre washed jeans became popular, your jeans didn't look brand new and the hems weren't raggedy yet. The cool thing to do was accessorize them with applique's or hand stitching.

Former hippie chick, Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!