Causing a bit if a stir

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Causing a bit if a stir

Post by Diana Michelle »

As it is Saturday and I figured I would stop at church on my way back to the hotel this afternoon I opted to wear a skirt with tights and boots today to the hospital. Yes I know call me old fashioned but I generally wear a skirt or dress to church but I digress. At any rate several of the nurses and the doctor commented on how I was dressed and it seemed like every eye was on me when I went to get lunch as well as in the cafeteria. No it didn't bother me but got me to thinking.

I realize that people tend to be more casual in their attire today but is a woman in a skirt really that much out of place today? Have we grown so accustomed to seeing women in jeans, leggings, or slacks that one in a skirt stands out that much? Has what was once the norm become the true oddity?

Kind of curious how all of you feel on this one. I understand that to many of you a skirt or a dress is a badge of femininity but what do you do when you see a woman wearing one somewhere you don't expect them to? Do you notice and if so how?
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Causing a bit if a stir

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

Depends on the circle,s you are in, this afternoon / evening my friend Pam and I went to one of our many dancing hall,s 52 most I know this time came , most of us = women wear a skirt or dress I,m most times in a skirt and if I think its a little more ……... I think any way to dress more in keeping so I was in a very long summer dress in pretty colour,s of red pink and off white with a little black .

Most of the time I,m in a skirt working at home or doing what ever, down the road in a skirt. yes I know many women do prefer slack,s or longs of some kind,

With in our groups many of us are in our age range from late 60 to 80,s and wear skirt,s ,
Myself I do like to dress nicely and I do get lovely comments because I do, Jos = Jocelyn allways said to me your going to dress elegantly , why, your a female so be who you are and I have had comments from friends also say the same you see they do care about who I am as a person and a female,

I also realise that there are some lovely very classy pant suit,s and yes would suit me to a tee. just I prefer skirts and dress,s , because I was with the NZ Navy I know we have some lovely outfits for us and just skirt,s in white very smart and classy in uniform.

The other detail I see is being feminine , I know it,s not the clothes yet, being dressed in an elegantly way does help how I feel about myself , the guys many are pretty good as I interact with them I,m very out going and just being myself no holding back in how I am with friends, and my dance partner was with us as well so yes I had a good time. funny as he did make a few comments about me had to laugh, all good, and I appreciate it, was dressed a bit sexy I know he like,s it. Lol,s.

...noeleena...
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Good for you, Diana!
I'll never understand how 'casual' dress now equates 'slob'. It is nice that jeans are acceptable for most times. Nice jeans, not those torn up. A woman in a dress or skirt not only looks good, her fashion will get her more respect as a lady. That goes for anybody dressing as women. Jeans are acceptable for more casual places, not church.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Yes, it's odd how wearing a nice outfit to work now is seen as unusual. That was why I was a bit reluctant to engage on my mission of wearing all my dresses as much as possible, which meant also wearing them at work.
In my case nobody commented on it, I was sort of expecting the "is there a funeral today?"

I was talking about it one day with one of my friends at work and she seemed to think that it's just something people don't want to put a lot of effort into. I guess that's fine, we all have limitations on the time and effort available so we have to make our own choices about where to spend that. If the only reason to dress nicely at work is because that's the tradition, then I better not complain. I violate traditions all the time, so I'd be the worst sort of hypocrite.

But now Diana, if the primary reason you were wearing a skirt is because you were going to church, and some people at the hospital commented, then I take it that you wouldn't normally wear a skirt either and nobody there is used to seeing you in one. So where is the surprise that they would ask or comment on it?

I think wearing a skirt or dress now is unusual enough that people might note it, unless there is an obvious reason. Like the first nice warm day of spring everyone will be wearing a skirt - and for good reason. Nobody will be surprised.
In my case, I'm unusual enough that apparently wearing a dress to work every day of the week isn't too surprising.

I don't know, fashions change, expectations change, peoples priorities change. Most of the changes are good, I wouldn't want to live in the 40's, or even in the 80's again. I wouldn't want women to feel like they are expected to wear skirts if they don't want to, and apparently many of them don't want to. For some reason one of my daughters hates skirts; she doesn't hate dresses, only skirts.
I have a philosophical objection to what they call fast fashion now because of the damage it does to the environment and that the workers in the industry are treated little better than slaves, but otherwise I'm happy with people wearing whatever the heck they want.
Sure, what a person wears says a lot about them and that's the whole point. If they want to tell the world they are a slob, I guess it's a good thing they tell us so we know.

But the thing that surprises me is that very few men wear skirts. They are the most comfortable thing for a man and everyone knows it. They are much cooler, so we wouldn't have workplaces where the A/C is cranked down as far as it goes, and all the women have heaters under their desks. So for all these men who act all fearless and macho to be deathly afraid of wearing a skirt is hilarious. But there are also plenty of thoughtful and sensible men who make largely rational decisions, and I'd expect many of them would wear skirts. So I conclude that men, more than women, feel enslaved to the expectations of dressing traditionally for work.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Depending on the situation, IMHO a skirt will get you noticed these days. When I am out and about enfemme I am usually in a skirt and often in a denim skirt. I will often notice that I am wearing a top similar to other GG's but it is the skirt that seems to get me the compliments that I am dressed nice. Which is funny even if it is a denim skirt.

kimberlys cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

It is not like I haven't worn a skirt or a dress before on one of our hospital visits but generally it is jeans or slacks as they are "easier" with sitting around in waiting rooms, bending over, etc. Then again as I think back in the summer it was more maxi dresses or skirts and on the other occasions I have worn a skirt it was a longer one, think calf length, and flats or riding boots. This time it was a knee length skirt and the boots with a heel. TBH I never even gave a thought as I got dressed that morning as while not a common thing I have dressed similarly being around the house and just going to the grocery store though it would be flat heeled boots rather than ones with a heel.

I do agree with Eileen in somewhere along the way casual has become pretty much "slob" in some cases. I have seen people out and about be it at the store, out to eat, and yes even church in clothes I would think twice about being seen cutting the lawn in. Maybe it is time to rethink this "casual attire" movement. I am not saying return to the 50s and 60s where women drew attention when they wore slacks in public and every guy was in a suit, tie, and hat. What I am saying is take a look in the mirror before you go out the door and think to yourself "what would I think if I saw someone out and about dressed like this?" If you are fine with that then by all means go but if you even have to think twice take a minute and change.

One thing I want to bring up here girls. I know I have made this point before but I feel it needs to be said again. Whether you like it or not anytime you go out en femme you are an ambassador for the whole community. I am not saying don't wear skirts and heels but be aware of where you are headed and what your task is. Yes we see women in skirts or dresses and heels at the grocery store but how often and under what circumstances? Nothing wrong with wearing a skirt of a reasonable length but instead of sheer hose and 4" heels try a pair of cute tights and some flat heeled riding boots.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Kind of funny because the other day I was having lunch with a couple of lady friends and I opted to wear a skirt and tights. My lunch companions all commented on my choice of attire one even saying she couldn't remember the last time she wore a skirt other than a dressy function.

Back when I went full time I vowed I was only going to wear skirts or dresses. After all I had spent the first 49 plus of years forced to wear pants much of the time, it was time to show the legs off. LOL I did only wear skirts for the first several months then winter set in with the cold, snow and blustery winds and I quickly rethought my vow. Not that I don't wear skirts anymore slacks make things so much easier and convenient so it is easy to understand why women wear them so much. Simple things like shopping with reaching and bending, pumping gas on a windy day, even getting in and out of the car can be less than lady like in a skirt.

All that said I and any woman can be just as feminine in slacks as they can be in a skirt. It is in the details such as the top, shoes, and accessories. I too can appreciate many of you girls don't get the chance to wear a skirt often and say go for it but as Diana said think of the whole look.
Annie
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Annie »

I really have no problem with jeans and slacks but take a walk through Walmart and I am appalled at what people in general are wearing. I am not a fan of "jammy" pants in public and would never wear them outside my house. I kind of miss the time when people cared what they wore out of the house.

Being the age I am, I remember when a woman would not be caught at the store, church or in public in anything other than a dress or skirt. My mother until near the day she died would not leave the house without at least a pair of slacks. For me, I agree with Diedre. I prefer a skirt or dress because I couldn't wear them before.
Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are- Benjamin Franklin
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

That's the Diana I have come to know and love, always shaking things up. ..rofl..

All kidding aside I work in one of those corporate casual environments. Being the artsy types we are probably given a little more leeway than others in the corporation and you see anything from jeans or leggings to skirts and dresses on the women and from jeans to suits and ties on the guys. Being a male dominated world there are more men than women but all freely express themselves in their attire, myself included.

With that said as part of management I feel the need to dress a bit nicer most of the time and that means dress slacks or a skirt or a dress. One thing I have noticed is how the men seem to not pay attention when I wear slacks or on those occasional days I wear jeans yet they do when I wear a skirt or a dress. Not saying they ogle, well maybe a few especially in the E garage, but I have seen more than one give me a second glance. Not that I find it offensive or harassing but it is there.

Guess what I am trying to say here is in this world of khaki slacks and jeans when one dresses up a little yes you are bound to be noticed.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Carole Hill
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Carole Hill »

I, too, prefer to wear skirts vs. pants. There are so few women that wear skirts or dresses to church that those who do are noticed. This "everything casual is OK" attitude does not sit well with me. A few years ago I attended a Christmas concert by a professional group. There were only two of us wearing dresses; I and a woman that I knew from our church.
Hugs, Carole
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Living in northern Michigan and with the tourists I have seen just about everything in church and the women are just as guilty as the men. I have talked with the priest about this and his attitude is while he may not like it at least they do take the time to come to mass. I guess in a way he is right but seriously cutoffs and a paper thin t shirt covering your bathing suit with plastic flip flops? My mother would roll over in her grave if she saw anything like that in a grocery store let alone church!

Maybe because I am of a past generation but I grew up being told a lady dresses like a lady especially for church. Even when I went full time back in the dark ages church meant a skirt or a dress for the women and a suit or sport coat for the men. I think it was probably the mid or late 80s I first saw a woman in church wearing slacks and that was part of a pants suit. I can remember how the whispers proliferated and how many thought it was totally blasphemous! Nowadays there are times I may be the only attending mass wearing a skirt.

Don't get me wrong here! I am not saying we need to go back to the days of old. I have worn slacks to church though they were dress slacks with a nice top and generally due to the weather being snowy or bitter cold. Having worked the vast bulk of my career where professional attire was mandated and that meant a skirted suit with hose and heels. Yes there was more than a couple of times it was uncomfortable and I could barely wait to get home and shed them in favor of some shorts and a t shirt. I even admit to more than once shucking my pantyhose for the drive home in search of some relief. Still it was expected of us and we did it and somehow survived. At least I didn't have to put up with the added constriction of a girdle as generations before me did. *-*

Carole I hear you about how some women have just abandoned wearing skirts and dresses for many occasions they would have even a couple of years ago. Before the holidays I went to a fundraiser for a charity I am involved with. It was at a very upscale resort with a sit down dinner and dancing and all the other niceties. I wore a nice dress with hose, pantyhose not tights, and heels. While the bulk of the women were dressed up there were a few in slacks and one in leggings and a sweater with riding boots. I am not talking velvet or even leather look leggings just plain black leggings and the sweater was not anything special or ornate. Though not as old as I am I surmised she was 50ish so IMO well aware of how one should dress for such an occasion. Not that her outfit was not cute and perhaps appropriate for an evening at the bar with friends but IMO not appropriate for this occasion. Before you ask she is involved with the charity as well and has attended this function before so it is not like she didn't know what to expect.

What I am trying to say through all my rambling here is yes I can appreciate the corporate casual environment as I always questioned how a skirt and heels or a tie for a man suddenly made me an authority. Still there is a time and place for casual and a time and a place for dressing up. Today the younger generations have little to look to for guidance as their parents and even grandparents have so embraced the casual look they have no role models. I am not saying we need to return to the days of June Cleaver in her house dress, heels, and pearls mopping the kitchen floor but it would be nice to every once in a while not to be the one drawing all the stares as the only one in a skirt.

Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

WHAT!!!

Are you saying I can't wear a house dress and heels while doing housework?? AND, if I had pearls I would wear those too. I will wear a dress around the house, with nylons, heels, and my favorite jewelry if I want. And So There!!
Do you think I'm going to be cleaning the house in pajamas??

Seriously though, I'm less about the "it's expected, it's the right thing to do, my mother always said......" argument than thinking about what your outfit says about you. For example, what to wear to church? So a lot of people claim that their religious beliefs are very important to them, maybe the most important thing in their life. But if they are wearing torn up rags and flip-flops, then I have to wonder why it's not important enough to them to take a whole 15 minutes and put on something reasonably decent.

And wearing sweats (or basically pajamas) to work because they are comfy? Well ok, that tells me that being comfortable is more important to you than looking good. Which is fine, we shouldn't be judging a person on their looks and clothing anyway. Maybe that 1/2 hour they saved by not getting dressed they spent working on something important. Or did they?

I'll admit that I pick out what to wear only on the basis of what I want, and what I think will look good on me. (I should consider the weather a bit more seriously though cause I thought I was going to freeze to death on Tuesday) But I do it purely for my own satisfaction, I'll not claim that I obey all the fashion laws because I'm a fashionista.

Still I find it surprising that so few people wear skirts. It's almost like many people intentionally wear jeans and baggy shirts to prove they don't care about how they look. Personally I hate jeans, I find them uncomfortable, I'd far rather wear a dress. I wish I didn't care about how I look, then I might not feel so frustrated at my attempts to look somewhat better than terrible. I imagine people look at me and think " what a waste of a dress, does she realize what a spectacle she is?" I do, I know I'm a fashion failure but the day I quit trying is the day I'll just go jump off the edge of the world into the great abyss.
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

As a middle school history teacher there isn't a formal dress code however there I an unwritten one. Not that I do it everyday I do probably a couple of times a week wear a skirt or dress. It is funny in when I first started doing I was the true oddity as just about every other female teacher wore slacks everyday. Not saying I am a trend setter here but over the past couple of years more of them have worn a skirt or dress. Not as much as I do for the most part but at least most do on occasion.

As for being noticed yes I am more noticed in a skirt than slacks especially by many of the male students. Remember these are 12, 13, and 14 year old boys just starting to discover their hormones. Not like I wear really short skirts to school I have worn knee length skirts or dresses many times and a couple of those may be a little above the knee.