Ladies in Hats

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Ladies in Hats

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Was going through some old pictures and many of them were obviously taken on Sundays or holidays. One thing struck me with those from the 60's and even 70's was back in those days a lady always wore a hat or some form of head covering when she went to church. Not sure when this changed but TBH other than for warmth I can't remember the last time I wore a hat or cap. It get me to wondering how this tradition got its start and what caused it to fade away?
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: Ladies in Hats

Post by DonnaT »

https://designerchurchsuits.com/the-his ... hurch-hats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As church attire became less formal, so did the wearing of hats
DonnaT
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Interesting link Donna. If you click on the woman area you can get fully coordinated dress and hats. Fancy and lovely.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Way back a lifetime ago I asked my Catechism teacher why women had to wear hats to church. She said something like it was a sign of modesty to somewhat obscure their hair in respect to God. Really didn't make a lot of sense to me but I accepted the answer. Hey I was like 10 or so at the time, you know young and gullible! Not sure exactly when but I do remember a lot of the younger women and girls replacing the hat and just pinning a lacy hanky or scarf to their hair. I admit to doing similar many times when I first came out and attending mass in 1980.

Again not sure exactly when but over the next few years it was first the younger women myself included abandoned even the simple scarf and started going to mass au natural. Slowly the times changed and TBH I can't even remember the last time I saw a woman with a hat at mass.

Obviously it was never a "rule" but rather dictated by fashion IMO. Not that I don't wear a hat at times but it is more apt to be a cute cap paired with a casual outfit or a baseball cap when I need to dash somewhere and my hair really needs to be washed and I can't do a thing with it. In my never to be humble opinion should hats for women start to become fashionable you will start to see more women wearing them at church again. I will add here that I for one hope that day never comes.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

Diana Michelle wrote: In my never to be humble opinion should hats for women start to become fashionable you will start to see more women wearing them at church again. I will add here that I for one hope that day never comes.
Diana!

``5 Amen Diana!

I can remember some of those hats some of the women wore way back when thinking they were fashionable. I had all I could do to keep from laughing out loud! I still remember back in my youth there was a woman who attended the same church as I did. She always had some crazy hat with feathers or bows or both. I swear sometimes she looked like she had a chicken roosting on her head. ..rofl..
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi.
Hmmm......I wonder , did men not like us wearing hat,s plus did they know the meaning behind why we did , go back to 1400 to 1700 and have a look at what we wore then and with in our The SCA Renaissance group,s you may be surprised, our reinactment groups, I quess no one here would be seen dead in what we wear, go to the Melbourne Cup and have a gander, in Australia, and looky at what we do wear,

so it come,s down to how we like to adorn our self,s how many men here would take the time to dress as we do. do men not understand why we are different go back to the history of the kings and queen,s and what they had to say, about us I have a few words to say about them and and,,, their rule,s,,,, and so on ,nothing more than dictatorship,and not being upstaged in what we designed and wore,

I quess some of us are still dressing in the 1900 to 1914 time Edwardian and carry on reinactment , I wear my hats and can design and make them suitable for what we do, having High Tea and outings,
I like what we do so I quess no point saying would you be interested in an outing dressed in our time frame may learn some thing about what women did do then and enjoy some thing very different .
And remember we are prim and proper and good taste in how we do things, ,I know is a very different world you may never expreance, pity...…

...noeleena...
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Last summer when I was train chasing I wore a basic wide brim ladies hat. It kept the sun off me on the hot days and made it easier to deal with the camera. It was kind of fun to wear.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I have a couple of caps, think fisherman style, I have worn with casual outfits or I also have a baseball hat I will sometimes wear and thread a ponytail through the opening in the back but I have never worn a hat with a dressier outfit. They do say everything comes back fashion wise so it wouldn't surprise me if they did make a return at some point.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I posted a picture of my hat in picture gallery.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

I liked Kim's idea so I posted too.

I rarely wear a hat when I'm out mostly because I make an effort to not be outside roasting my tushy and brains.
{squeezes}
Davita
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Cute hat and outfit Davita. I had to hide my fur face and no makeup.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I love ladies hats! It's too bad they are not worn more often. Especially for Easter services.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Found a pic of me in my gardening hat so posting it. Try not to laugh too hard
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Also added one pic wearing a hat to the gallery. All you ladies look lovely in your pics!
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Cute look Gabriela
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr