What's a girl to do?

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

What's a girl to do?

Post by Lauren »

Had a meeting the today with a client. As it was with the higher ups and quite an important project I decided to go for the professional look of a skirted suit. That particularly suit has a knee length skirt and was going to wear pumps with it so I decided to wear skin tone hose, well pantyhose. As the meeting was mid afternoon I went to the office in the morning.

It was shortly before lunch I noticed I had a run but thought no problem as I always keep a spare pair in my desk. Well wouldn't you know it I did have a spare pair of black but no skin tone and IMO black wouldn't go with my outfit. Guess I forgot to replace them last time this happened. I took off for an early lunch and on my way there stopped at the local 7-11 to pick up a pair. Couldn't find any pantyhose so I asked the clerk and she said they quit carrying pantyhose about a year ago as women don't seem to wear them much anymore. Still no problem I thought as there is a grocery store a couple of blocks away.

I took me a bit to even find the aisle where hosiery was located. Much to my surprise all they had was tights, definitely not the look I wanted. There were even a couple of styles of leggings but not a single pair of sheer hose of any ilk or brand. Finally I did locate someone who worked there and yes everything they carried was in that aisle. Needless to say I was getting frustrated to be polite. I did finally find something suitable at a local drug store though not my first choice and even bought an extra pair for my desk.

I think back maybe 5 years ago or maybe even less and every convenience store, grocery store, and drug store had several racks of hosiery from generally a couple of brands and in some cases a store brand as well. I can even remember more than a couple of gas stations having a display of pantyhose for sale. Have so many women stopped wearing hosiery that it has become a "Where's Waldo" search to find them for those of us who still wear them?
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: What's a girl to do?

Post by KimberlyS »

Lauren, most women do not wear any type of sheer hosiery at all any more. In our office a few gals will wear a skirt every so often but have yet to see sheer hosiery. Will see some tights and leggings, but do not get me going on those. The only place I see hosiery anymore is higher end management and that is even iffy at times. At a few recent weddings I have seen some hosiery but usually on older nicely dressed ones. So many just do the bare leg look. :(

kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Oh I am well aware of the no hose look that many women have adopted and living in Southern California I admit to probably going sans hose when wearing a skirt or dress more than the times I do wear hose. I do wear tights from time to time depending on the look I am going for, I tend to think tights is a more casual look. I wear leggings especially at home or when out and about running errands and the like though have never worn them with a skirt or a dress.

All that said maybe being of bygone era I believe a woman wearing hose presents a more polished, professional look and that was what I desired yesterday. I guess my reason for bring up my hunt for even a single pair of pantyhose was am I becoming the only one who wears them anymore and if so where's a girl to go to buy some?
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I use to get mine at Sears and Kmart but they are no longer in my area. I have a be of a stock pile. The last ones I got were at JCP a year ago and recently picked up a pair at Lane Bryant to try them. I have not been getting out as much the last few years in full femme. Been doing more casual femme around the house. But when I do get out I am usually in hose of some type.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Only with a casual skirt on a hot day can I go bare legged. Maybe the only ladies wearing hosery now days are CD's? True, time was that quikie marts stocked PH. Now days, hubby and I buy them by the bag from Just My Size on line.
Whatever shade you choose when going out, put a spare pair in the car. Mom taught me that.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I've noticed that too, it's getting near impossible to find pantyhose in stores, and if you do happen across some, the selection is pretty slim.
Like Eileen, I've taken to ordering them online. But then I need to order like 10 pair to get the free shipping. Which is OK, unless you find that you need a pair in a hurry because you have a run. I like your idea of keeping some spares in my desk at work, I think I'll start doing that.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I have a pair of thigh highs from National today. Ordered them on line. About a month ago I picked up a pair form Lane Bryant which had both thigh highs and panty hose. I was at JCP end of last week and seen their hosiery selection. Just one rack with them. Not like it use to be a whole row of different types and brands of hosiery. I remember wandering around the hosiery looking at all of the choices trying to decide what to buy. Now just a 4 foot wide rack and hope they have something that will fit in a color I want.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Never had a spare pair of pantyhose in my car, well at least not intentionally. :whistle: Back in my working days I did keep a spare pair in my desk as well as my briefcase though.

It is funny because the one store closed in town not sure if there is a place in town where one can buy pantyhose except for the drug store and that is a limited selection of L'eggs. Not that I wear hose that often anymore I do for certain occasions. I generally stock up when they have a sale on my favorite brand Hanes at Macy's. It is interesting how things have changed so much. You have to wonder what is the next trend to upend women's fashions.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

I hear you Lauren. I am more a thigh high girl but I do wear pantyhose on occasion when the outfit dictates it. I can remember not that long ago I could buy my usual L'eggs Silken Mist thigh highs just about anywhere. Now I can find them sometimes at the local Meijer but have taken to ordering them online as it seems like the past couple of times my size or shade was out of stock in the store.
AJ West
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by AJ West »

I have been getting my Legg's sheer energy pantyhose on Ebay, six pair for 11.30 including shipping.
Not sure where I'm going, but there's no since being late