facemasks

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

facemasks

Post by Ralitsa »

surprised that nobody has started this thread yet!

So now with the virus raging, all the new guidelines, seems like facemask are the new fashion accessory in the US. They have been a fashion accessory in Asia for years, so the first thing I did was find a Korean maker on Etsy. I bought 3, in different colors so I can coordinate with different outfits.
Has anyone else added fashion facemasks to your wardrobe?
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: facemasks

Post by DonnaT »

My wife made mine. They have a WVU theme.

Thinking about one that has a hand covering one's mouth.

One can go out dressed and hide behind their mask, yes?
DonnaT
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

When all this started I went on Ebay and found a 6 pack of masks with assorted floral patterns for something like $30 so I ordered it though I never dreamed they would be a part of my wardrobe for so long. Have a friend who is into sewing, knitting, embroidery, and stuff like that and made her own masks My favorite of hers is a white one and in very small letters embroidered in bright red it reads "If you can read this you are too close BACK OFF!"
DonnaT wrote: One can go out dressed and hide behind their mask, yes?
In a way even long before we ever heard of COVID 19 we all wore a mask at times. Think of how many times you put on a smile when you were aching inside. The times you feigned happiness for someone while thinking "you really don't deserve that." How you offered sympathy to someone when you felt "you deserved this and worse." The time you congratulated someone who just told you they were getting married all the time thinking "You are making a huge freaking mistake." I know I am guilty of all of these and more and have a feeling I am not the only one.

bla*bla*bla Where I live there are more than a few deniers of the true seriousness of the COVID 19 as well as many who feel wearing a mask violates their "rights" and refuse to wear one. I have been asked by a few of these why I wear a mask before they go into their diatribe as to why I shouldn't. I let them finish their tirade before telling them "I am wearing a mask to keep you and your loved ones safe don't you owe me the same courtesy?" Have yet to hear a cogent response.

This COVID 19 is some dangerous and potentially fatal sh1t! If you don't care about yourself or your loved ones that is your choice but I do care about me and mine. Rather than show your ignorance try a little compassion and simple courtesy and wear a mask! Please don't tell me about your rights for your right to swing your arm stops at my nose!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

So I was actually thinking more about the fashion aspect of face masks when I posted this.

I ordered 3 in a floral pattern from someone on Etsy who gets them from South Korea (where, like Japan, face masks have been a thing for years).

What I like is that I don't really need to bother with make-up. I don't yet have a pattern or mask to match most outfits, so I guess I need to think about that, but with a few different colors I can get close. So I think I'm going to be making a mask part of my permanent fashion accessory wardrobe now.
The ones I have now are very comfortable, but they don't stay in place very well when I'm talking to someone. Maybe this is all in the adjustment and I need to get the straps right (another strap management issue, as if we didn't have enough). So if anyone has a recommendation for cute and perfectly designed masks I'm very interested to know about them. :)
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Ralitsa yes there does seem to be a fashion aspect to mast wearing for some people. Even a biker guy today I seen wearing a bandana as a mask nicely coordinated with his Harley outfit.

We are actually in the process of sewing up some of our own masks. We are using the Olsen mask pattern.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Grace
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Grace »

I didn't notice this thread before I posted a comment about face masks in the fun things to do column. I have a really cute pink face mask with a Geisha Girl theme that I've worn while shopping in a pink dress. I've ordered a few more with a floral theme. I'd love to have the nerve to wear one of the sequined masks, but I don't think I could withstand the scrutiny. This is making lemonade out of lemons-- a new fashion accessory and way to express our femininity!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

shortly after salons reopened here in ND mask were required for everyone at first. I was in getting my nails done and asked Brit what she thought of the mask rule, and she agreed it was kind of inconvenient and uncomfortable but said "at least I only have to put make-up on half my face!"
So if there's anything to like, it would be that a cute mask, hat, and glasses pretty much covers it all. While I don't hate putting on make-up, I do find it to be a lot faster to just put on a mask. I only have 3 so far in floral patterns of various colors, but I think I'll get some more. I didn't see any sequined ones, but that sounds really fun, I'm going to look for some. Thanks Grace for the idea. Shopping on Etsy sounds like just the thing to do on a Sunday!
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Ralitsa wrote: I only have 3 so far in floral patterns of various colors, but I think I'll get some more. I didn't see any sequined ones, but that sounds really fun, I'm going to look for some. Thanks Grace for the idea. Shopping on Etsy sounds like just the thing to do on a Sunday!
Make sure they are 100% cotton for best effect. Or have a filter pocket.
DonnaT
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I was out and about enfemme today in one of my masks. Picture in the gallery.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Grace
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Grace »

I was out shopping en femme yesterday, wearing a floral face mask. One of the sales ladies complimented me on my mask. That's a first-- usually the compliments are on my dress or ear rings.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I don't know about the rest of you but I never dreamed a mask would become a part of my everyday attire for as long as it is.

Shortly after all this started my one elderly neighbor asked if I would take her to the grocery store. When we got there I checked my face in the vanity mirror before exiting the car. I touched up my lipstick and proceeded to put on my mask. She looked at me and asked if I realized what I had just done? #-o

Old habits die hard!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon