Where Do We Go From Here?

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by Diana Michelle »

Got to thinking back over my life the other day. Not sure how I got there but I started thinking of all the different fashion trends I have seen. How some were just evolutions of the previous one but some unique.

The 50s and early 60s were the era of the housewife. Shirt dresses, pearls, spike heels, the pill box hat, soft feminine clothes were the look of the times. Under it all most women wore uncomfortable constricting girdles and bras. It was not about comfort but rather conforming to the image.

The later 60s and early 70s was when most of the Baby Boomers came of age. It was the era of the hippies and free love and with it came mod fashions, the mini skirt, go go boots, hot pants, wild prints, tie dye, even the original "granny" dresses. Even undergarments evolved to fit the new looks and lifestyle. Wild print bras, panties, even slips replaced the plain old white underpinnings of the previous generation. The shorter hems brought forth pantyhose replacing the old girdle and stocking combination. Bikini panties replaced the old brief style panties in many younger women's lingerie chest.

Then came the later 70s and longer hems but with it came its own styles. Disco fashions, slit skirts, gaucho pants, the return of high heels, colorful polyester dresses, ruffled or bow blouses. The wild print lingerie was replaced with soft pastel lingerie in a variety of colors, It was not unusual for a woman to own half dozen or more matching sets and not a single one of them in white.

Soon these evolved as the 80s were upon us and women became a serious part of the workforce. Power suits, shoulder pads, the return of the jumpsuit, matching shoes for your outfit but also the Gunnie Sax style dress with its frills and soft feminine look. With it came a return of more utilitarian lingerie. Yes there were still colorful bras and panties but slips were generally only available in white, beige, or black. Many women even abandoned wearing full slips opting just to pull a half slip on under a dress for comfort and keeping cooler. Around 1983 or so colorful sheer hosiery made a reappearance for a couple of years. No longer did one only wear skin toned hosiery but could match or coordinate their hosiery to their outfit. One saw many combinations even in professional settings.

As the 80s progressed shorter hemlines returned. First just above the knee but eventually almost to mini lengths for even the skirted suit. The major difference from the 60s it was now acceptable for women in their 40s and even 50s to wear the shorter hems. Ruffled and bow blouses gave way to the simple shell and even no blouse at all under a suit jacket though sometimes a colorful scarf was added to maintain decency as well as add a feminine flair. Also the power suit became softer in color and tone. No longer had the jacket to mimic a man's suit coat with 3 buttons and lapels and pastel colors and even two toned suits or those with piping or contrasting details became acceptable. Stirrup pants returned and leggings made their first appearance. Stirrup pants even went "formal" in rayon or velvet and acceptable as dressier outfits.

The 90s began as a continuation of the 80s though slowly the pants suit became acceptable business attire for professional women. The late 80s and early 90s saw the rise of the skort which depending on material and how it was matched and accessorized was appropriate for casual to formal. Then around mid decade first just as "casual" Friday but slowly "corporate casual" became more prevalent. As far as business attire it was a confusing time. One would walk into a meeting and never know what to expect. One could find a business woman in khakis and a simple button down blouse, a pants suit, or a skirted suit and heels. It was also in the 90s that the return on control undergarments saw their rise. these were unlike the girdles of yore with new fabrics and far more comfortable. They weren't even called girdles anymore rather simply control panties or shapewear.

The new millennium debuted as a continuation of the latter 90s but slowly corporate casual became more prevalent. Unlike the khakis and button down blouses of before women started mixing in slacks and sweater combos even jeans into their work wardrobe. The dress became just as acceptable as "formal" business attire as the power suit, at first worn with a blazer but soon many abandoned that.

The 2010s saw a continuation and growth of corporate casual. Perhaps as an outgrowth of corporate casual women began to abandon wearing sheer hose with skirts and dresses. First in casual settings then at work and eventually in even more formal settings. Tights saw a comeback first as a fashion accessory but also for warmth in the fall and winter.

Well there is a mini fashion history of the last 70 years or so as I saw it and remembered it. I guess the question is where do we go from here? Something new and cutting edge or a resurrection of an old style or fad either as it was or in an updated form? Curious how you girls see things as they were or where they are going or both.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by KimberlyS »

Not sure where fashion will go, but the years will tell us as they go by. ..OO..
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

The later 60s and early 70s was when most of the Baby Boomers came of age. It was the era of the hippies and free love and with it came mod fashions, the mini skirt, go go boots, hot pants, wild prints, tie dye, even the original "granny" dresses. Even undergarments evolved to fit the new looks and lifestyle. Wild print bras, panties, even slips replaced the plain old white underpinnings of the previous generation. The shorter hems brought forth pantyhose replacing the old girdle and stocking combination. Bikini panties replaced the old brief style panties in many younger women's lingerie chest.
A lot of this started in the UK with Mary Quant - and was sort of her idea to produce clothes that were kind of functional and simple to wear for women. That's a revolution right there. Later on she developed the mini-skirt. The hippie thing was later - it was more to do with flowing clothes, as I remember it. Like there was a move from Mod to Hippie.
Soon these evolved as the 80s were upon us and women became a serious part of the workforce. Power suits, shoulder pads, the return of the jumpsuit, matching shoes for your outfit
I confess to hating the big hair, shoulder pads look - which I thought of as to do with Dynasty. I thought it was women trying to compete with men in an aggressive era.

I don't know where we are now. There seems to be pretty much an infinite palette for women to chose from. I was in a vast shopping complex near where I live last Sunday and saw a young woman wearing a silk-look jump suit (?) cinched at the waist with an oriental dragon pattern on it. I said "that's very nice". She replied "I painted it myself" - Which drew from me "It's beautiful".
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Where do we go from here? Wherever we want! As they say what goes comes around and many of today's fashions are updated versions of the past. IMO today particularly women are unbounded by fashion rules and wear what they want and think looks good on them. Long gone are the rules like not wearing white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day among others. I for one like the no rules rule.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

We forgot to mention somewhere when all the fashion changes were occurring, there was a revolution in fabric care that also influenced the styles. We went from dry clean only to wash and wear from real hand wash to delicate wash on our washing machines. We went from a pain in the butt to clean to easy care fabrics and fashions.

That said, where do we go from here? Hopefully away from a $40 translucent tee to one that doesn't require layering to be able to wear it in public and doesn't cost over $20 regular price, but still looks good and has some style. Where do I want fashions to go? I'd love to see styles that account for the variety of shapes we girls come in for all sizes. I get so tired of looking at tents for my size when I'm not shaped like the presumed norm for my size. The industry figured out with jeans that there is more than one shape; now if they can just figure that out with our tops.
{squeezes}
Davita
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Heather W wrote: Long gone are the rules like not wearing white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day among others. I for one like the no rules rule.
I agree Heather! Today's woman is empowered to be whoever she desires and is willing to work for and part of the spoils of that is the right to dress as we see fit. There are days I visit customers and am dressed up in a skirt suit and heels, other days in jeans and a t-shirt. At least as far as the industry I deal with most long gone is the fallacy is the better you dress the more qualified you are.
Davita wrote: I get so tired of looking at tents for my size when I'm not shaped like the presumed norm for my size. The industry figured out with jeans that there is more than one shape; now if they can just figure that out with our tops.
I have heard that from countless of women Davita. From shapely but busty women to those who carry much of their bulk around their middle someone is always complaining about how some tops fit. I am only 5'6" but have long arms so many long sleeved tops that fit me fine elsewhere the sleeves end above my wrists. The trick is to find a style and manufacturer that fit you well and stick with it. Many manufacturers use the same sizing guide regardless of fabric, color, and even in some cases styles.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

Hopefully we take a little step back and away from the almost slovenly look many think of as casual. Don't know about the rest of you but I get so tired of seeing woman after woman in black leggings especially as the weather turns cooler. Another step back I hope to see is women wearing sheer hose again. Let us be honest here very few women have perfect or even close to perfect legs. A nice pair of sheer hose puts the polish on an outfit IMO
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I agree with the others who are predicting the end to one dominant fashion, and more of the no-rules rule. For one thing, there are so many more places to buy your outfit now, that you're not constrained just to what they have in stock at the local department store.
I agree with Melissa though that I hope more people will adopt a dressier, classier look. Casual clothes can still look classy, they don't have to be raggedy and slovenly. I admit to running in to town in the clothes I've been working around the yard in, but that's generally only when I need something quick from Lowes or Tractor Supply. If I'm going anywhere respectable I put on something at least clean and neat.

I think (or maybe just hope) that more people will have their clothes custom made or fitted. With all the shops on Etsy now and other places it's more convenient to buy unique things made exactly to fit.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Lots of interesting answers here.

Interesting thought on "casual" attire here. One day last week had a busy day planned. Not sure why but I was in the mood to dress up a little so opted for a casual wool skirt with a comfy warm sweater and a down vest paired with riding boots. I interfaced with a number of people that day and I think everyone did a double take and had a few comment on my choice of attire and ask why. Really seemed to puzzle a couple when I told them I just felt like wearing a skirt rather than jeans.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon