Pantyhose

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Pantyhose

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Bet that got everyone's ears to perk up! :lol:

Had some time over the weekend to catch up on some of the posts here and was surprised to see the one about slips come back to life and got to me thinking about other things most women took for granted at one time yet seem to almost have disappeared and obviously pantyhose came to mind.

First off I admit they could be hot and uncomfortable at times. There was many a day I was barely in the door and my heels were kicked across the room and started peeling them off. Now I will grant you women had options such as thigh highs or a garter belt and stockings but personally I found those more uncomfortable and presented other issues. Still back in the day hose was considered mandatory for most situations when wearing a skirt or dress and pantyhose was the hosiery choice of most women.

Not going to get into the reasons pantyhose is rarely worn anymore for there are many. Rather I want to hear your thoughts on them. Do you still wear them, if so how often? Do you view them as a necessity or more an accessory like jewelry or a scarf? Maybe even your favorite brand and shade or shades?
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: Pantyhose

Post by KimberlyS »

I use to be a PH gurl. I wore a lot of Hanes Silk Reflections and really liked them and found them relatively comfortable. I am now a bit fluffier and have not found a comfortable PH. Now I wear mostly thigh highs from National. But would be open to PH for fluffy gurls that are comfortable and easy to get on.

I can under stand woman not liking to wear PH on a daily basis. But I am surprised that even for special occasions most woman are not wearing hose. Women will make sure their clothing and makeup look nice but do not wear hose that make the legs and outfit (IMHO) often look better and more finished.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
AJ West
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by AJ West »

I still have and still wear pantyhose. It used to ALWAYS be a staple when I went out, however this past fall I got introduced to body coverage corrector. It is kind of like makeup for your arms, legs, tattoos, etc. It covers really well and stays on well too. I wore skirts and dresses while on vacation and was really comfortable. My wife ribbed me about not wearing hose, but said my legs looked great without them. I still wear pantyhose when I want to 'dress up', but it was nice to not have to mess with them on vacation, and it was cooler (Early September). All said and done, I'll never give up on hose, thigh high, garter or pantyhose will always have a place in this girl's dresser.
Not sure where I'm going, but there's no since being late
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I still love the feel of PH on my legs, and how they make them look nice. I don't wear them very often, however, due to my size. Good feeling hose that won't slide off my butt is hard to find these days.

Geez, I need to loose weight! ](*,)
DonnaT
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I view hose more as an accessory than a fashion necessity be it tights or black hose to accent an outfit. Can't honestly remember the last time I wore skin tone hose. When I do wear sheer hose it is generally L'eggs Silken Mist though they are hard to find. My fall back is Hanes Silk Reflections but I find Silken Mist just as nice at half the price.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

For the best part of my career I wore skirted suits and that mandated hose. I will admit to wearing the alternatives though generally with an alternative motive :oops: but probably 95% of the time or more it was pantyhose. Now that meant 5 days a week for at a very minimum 10 hours and generally more like 12. I also am a bit old fashioned in I believe a lady wears a skirt or dress to church so that meant at least Sunday mornings I had pantyhose on. Now add in going to a party or out on a date Saturday meant 7 days a week I wore pantyhose and many times that could be 4,5,6 weeks in a row. Not saying I have a hosiery fetish but it was just expected we wear it so I did as did every other woman. I am sure most complained about it or would be sitting on the bed pulling them on thinking "Do I really have to do this?" but we did.
KimberlyS wrote:Women will make sure their clothing and makeup look nice but do not wear hose that make the legs and outfit (IMHO) often look better and more finished.
One point that many women seem to have forgotten once they quit wearing pantyhose is they wore control top pantyhose. Not that my figure is perfect but so many just either don't care or don't see what others see. I have been more than once been tempted to tell a woman all dressed up "You need a good girdle girlfriend!" ..OO..
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I agree with Donna. I love the feel of pantyhose or tights. Even if I'm not going out I'll often wear them, but usually that's tights and it's for the warmth with a dress. Sweater tights might be the best invention ever :)
My legs are kind of - not the smoothest - and it takes some doing to cover the imperfections. So I do need something to cover that.
I'm not happy with the standard, Hanes, L'Eggs and those. It seems like they get deformed and stretched out after a few times. So I usually go with the more expensive options - and I'm not really impressed with those either. They feel better, don't get stretched out, but seem to get runs in very soon.
I don't find it to be any inconvenience to put them on or wear them. I could wear them all day and all night and not be uncomfortable. The extra 30 seconds or 2 minutes to put them on in the morning is not a big deal. What I don't like, is getting 1/2 way through the day and realizing there is a huge run up them, that either I didn't notice or that just happened. Then what do you do? If I were smart I would have a spare one in my purse, but I'm not that smart.
So I guess everyone in the world thinks I dress like a slob because probably never in my life have I been through a whole day with my pantyhose developing a run. (ok, that's an exaggeration but it doesn't feel like it)

Younger women don't need to wear them, their legs are still in nice shape. I talk to my daughter and she hates wearing them, and also looks great without them. Well when I was 16 I scoffed at all the old people also, and now I am that.

I don't care! I love my pantyhose and am going to go order some more right now, just because I CAN!!!!!!
Ms Jane
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Ms Jane »

I am not a fan of pantyhose. I prefer stockings and suspenders and have been wearing them since the sixties.
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

stockings and suspenders are really fun, and I plan to wear them more often. sadly I do not have a nice garter belt, so that will have to be on my spring shopping list :)