What Is "Too Old?"

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

What Is "Too Old?"

Post by Diana Michelle »

Went to services yesterday then out for brunch with some friends. As I generally do I wore a dress and maybe because I was feeling a bit silly some lacy tights with it. At any rate one of the women who is for all intent and purposes the same age as I am mentioned my tights and how she would never wear anything like that. They were cute she said and would be fine on her granddaughter and probably even on her daughter but never at her age. I admit though surprised by her remark I fluffed it off. I did get to thinking about it later on and started wondering. Is there a cut off age for dressing fashionably? Are there certain items that a woman is "too old" to wear? I am not talking mini skirts, Daisy Dukes, belly baring tops, or even CFM heels here more mainstream items. Thoughts?
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: What Is "Too Old?"

Post by Davita »

Any item you wear is "too young" if your oldness makes you look bad wearing it. After that? If you still have the legs, if you still have a shape (concave in the right places or convex in the same places), if it's a good print, if it moves nice when you do, and on and on... then you tell me why you're too old to wear it. You can ask about wigs too. Am I too old to want to have dark hair with a blue or red or green streak? Silly wanting to enjoy the fun fashions because old people don't need to have fun? Stop... It's silly to think age is a reason to stop anything. Besides, what happened to our second childhood? :) If you look good wearing it, then wear it. BTW, how old is Tina Turner?
{squeezes}
Davita
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I'm with Davita! If it looks good where it and the hell with others say!
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Ditto on the if it looks good why not wear it. \:D/ :thumbsup:

kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

I have had the experience of seeing a woman from a way off and judging she's of a certain age by the clothes she wears - only to find she's older when I get closer. I don't know, but it doesn't seem like that is an effect you want to create.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Anthony, when I say if it looks good, why not wear it, I am not talking anything. Like if you look good in a crop top and short short shorts, but you are 65. I would say hey you may look ok in that, but don't you think it is time to grow up just a little. Maybe that micro skirt does look good with your legs, but really at 60 maybe you should go for a skirt just above the knee. I am a firm believer you do not have to show as much as possible to look good and sexy. More conservative attire can look just as good or better as it does not look trashy.

:soap:
But then I also see all of they celebrities dressing in some of the wildest and barest type of out fits and want to tell them to grow up also. The sheer and show almost everything looks are stupid in my book. Or the no bra look with tape so they do not fall out, or the show off your bra look, or the cut down the front looks well below the boobs some down so much you can almost see their crotch. IMHO any of these looks do not do our kids any good. Celebrities should be more of a roll model for kids. They should not be showing our kids it is ok to show off and bare all. And what is funny is I am sure many of them would not let their kids out of the house dressed like that.

Just like we expect athletes to be role models, many are not. IMHO if we want to make the world a better place, many adults and especially people like celebrities and athletes and other roll model type people that our kids look up need to grow up and be a better example and roll model for our kids.
off my soap box...... :soap:

But I do not think that type of attire was Diana's intent of her first post in this thread. I am with Diana on this one, if you stick to nice main stream clothing and it looks nice on you. Nothing wrong with wearing nicer attire, more dressy or more feminine attire. And if it makes you look a few years younger all the better. :mrgreen: Now I am not talking over dressing for the place or occasion. But usually a place or occasion has a range of attire that would be considered valid attire to wear. Not all ladies like to dress frumpy comfy old lady attire all the time. But it has its place.

One way of putting would be there is a general scale of attire for a place and occasion. Some will dress on the more casual end of the scale, some more in the middle, and some on the more dressy end of the scale.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.