Leggings

A place for everyone to share or ask about fashion and beauty secrets.

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Leggings

Post by Diana Michelle »

Not sure there is an article of clothing today that provokes such widely diverse reactions as leggings. Everything from "How could she wear those?" to "If she has to wear something like that she should at least cover her butt so her panties don't show!" to guys staring at your butt. For an article of clothing that has been around since the 80s it still amazes me how people including women feel about them.

Let's be honest here, most women own at least one pair of leggings, many own more than one pair of varying styles, colors, even materials, myself included. When out and about running errands or headed to the mall I am generally a jeans girl but I freely admit I have worn leggings sometimes and I think I look pretty good in them for an old broad. Yes when out and about in leggings I wear a longer top to make sure my butt is at least somewhat covered, not necessarily the same when I'm at home where you are most apt to find me in leggings. I think all of you know me well enough I have to relate a story or two about things so I am so I don't not to disappoint you. One is from long ago, the other quite recent.

The first I remember leggings though not sure they were called that back then was the 80s. The first ones were a sweater like material and generally came with a colorful print sweater dress. It was a dressy look which I loved and had a couple of them. Frank and I hadn't been dating long and we were going to dinner at an upscale place and I wore one of my leggings outfits. When we got there we were informed they couldn't seat us as ladies were not allowed to wear slacks.

Posting a picture of me wearing some leggings

"Seriously?" Frank said. "My God this is 1986 not 1956!"

"I'm sorry sir but that is our rule," the hostess said. "I don't have to agree with it but I do have to enforce it so unless the lady removes her slacks we cannot seat her."

That gave me an idea so I told Frank to wait right there and headed to the powder room. Yes I slid the slacks off and folded them up nicely. I had pantyhose on under those slacks but I admit the "dress" was a little short on me, the drawback of being 5'8" but it was not indecent. We were seated and had a lovely dinner but we talked about what an antiquated policy the restaurant had and never went back.

Maybe a month or so ago it was a nice but chilly day. I decided I was going to play golf but first I was going to go to the 8:30 yoga class. Seeing as it was yoga first I pulled on some black leggings and a cami top. After grabbing a tunic style sweater for later I pulled on my denim jacket and headed off to yoga. After class one of the women there mentioned she was surprised I showed up instead of playing golf as there may not be a lot of nice days left. I told her I was headed to play golf right now.

"Wearing that? she said as I pulled on my denim jacket.

"Yep wearing this," I smiled. "They frown on me playing in the nude!"

I do have to admit the look on her face was priceless as I left. Yes I did take the jacket off when I got to the course and pulled on the sweater. I could go on with other stories about leggings like the time I wore the red leggings with the white snowflakes to work in the charity thrift shop or the time I wore leather look leggings to lunch with some friends to be asked, "Don't you think you're a little old to be wearing those?" "Duh! Obviously not as I wearing them!" My point to all of this is that in spite of leggings being around close to 40 years or maybe longer they still elicit some very strong reactions from some.

OK enough about me, what about all of you? How do you feel about leggings? Would you wear them if you could or do you wear them? If you wear them under what circumstances and situations? What is the "proper" way to wear leggings in your opinion? I'm eager to read your thoughts and responses.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Leggings

Post by Davita »

Yeppers, I have an opinion on leggings, well two. Some materials might be very comfy, but just show more than they should. Some women/men/other folk haven't mastered how to wear leggings, again showing more than they should.

I got a pair of shorts for my summer yoga classes, but now they are my version of slip shorts. They are wonderfully soft to the point that they showed every single line, wrinkle etc. under them. In my yoga classes, once in awhile one of the girls must not have looked in the mirror before she left the house. It's like she grabbed pantyhose or tights, not leggings. Once in awhile, I'll need to go to a store after my classes; that's the only time I wear my leggings in public. My problem is getting a top long enough to cover my butt and still be able to maneuver around on the mat; I'm 5'11" (or 10") depending on which doctor measured me). I'm happy just to have a tee long enough to reach the middle of my hips. Once a few years ago now, I was at my local *** wholesale I got complimented on my leggings, but not because they were leggings, but I had a swath of pink. "It nice to see a guy in pink."

As I think about it, my third complaint is all the black. Yeah it kinda hides sweat, yeah it's supposed to be slimming, yeah it goes with all the tops in the world, but this girl has avoided solid black leggings and get as much color or print I think a guy can get away with in the sad world.
{squeezes}
Davita
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Leggings

Post by Diana Michelle »

Generally it's the cheaper leggings that are more apt to allow show through though that is not always true. If you suspect your panties are going to show you have 3 options.

1. Don't wear any ..OO..
2. Wear thong panties
3. Wear panties as close to your skin color as you can find

Obviously the first 2 are not practical for most the girls here. Nude or what ever color they care to call them if even close to your natural skin color will not shine through thin material leggings same as a nude color bra will not show under a white top. Many manufacturers offer varying shades of nude bras and panties to better match your skin tone. Several even offer shades for women of color.

As for taller girls look for leggings in tall sizes. You may not always find them in a brick and mortar store but many offer them on their websites.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon