How I got to here

Every story begins somewhere, so tell us how you got started crossdressing. Only one (1) topic per member, please!

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

How I got to here

Post by Amanda R »

Like many of you at an early age I knew there was something different about me. My parents divorced when I was only 6 and it was for the most part life became just my mother and my sister who is 2 years older than I am. Yes I started dressing in my sister's clothes in secret and although I found some satisfaction in that I knew there was more. I felt more comfortable around females than I ever did around males although as I entered puberty I found a certain attraction to males. Thankfully I had a computer and found many answers on the internet.

I was barely 15 when I came out to my mother that I believed I was a girl not a boy. She was obviously stunned but she sought answers and looked to a nearby LGBTQ organization for help. She was referred to an individual who although not a therapist was a post operative M2F to talk to. I thank God everyday for my mother not rejecting me and seeking those answers. Through the help of that individual my mother came to understand where I was at in my life. I began gender therapy before my 16th birthday although continuing to attempt to live as a male. After graduating high school I began HRT and started to live as a female.

Fast forward though a few years, including a name change and attending college and receiving my bachelor's degree in psychology I lived as a female and to my friends at school I was just a shy college girl who didn't date. Yes my diploma reads "Amanda Rachel R*********". I had my GRS in April 2014 and returned to a more normal life. I am currently studying for my Masters in Clinical Psychology hoping to specialize in Gender Therapy and Studies. I do have a special man in my life and yes he knows all about my past but loves me as I am.

That is my biography in a couple of paragraphs. I hope to help as well as learn by being here. If you have any questions of me please ask, I will try to answer all openly and honestly.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: How I got to here

Post by Estefania »

Thank you for sharing Amanda.

I was telling people that the last chance I had to attend a support group meeting after years of not being there, I was surprised to see that at least 2/3 of the attendants were young trans people. College and even HS level kids. And they were already rather comfortable in their own skin, knowing who they are and what they want in life. Compared to many or most of us older folks who grew up thinking we were the only ones with these feelings we had.

Anyway, glad you have a supporting family and were able to find your path in life at an early age.

Gaby
DeniseL
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by DeniseL »

Thank you for Sharing Amanda, and your situation is very similar to a lot of us
I knew at an early age too that I was some what different, however to several extenuating circumstances i could not fufill my dream till i Re-located 7 1/2 years ago

I had GRS in 2011 and have never looked back since

Great to hear your story

Denise
Denise_Love
a girl that likes Camping
Brenda Allen
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Brenda Allen »

Amanda, Great information, thank you for sharing. I know you will find many folks here who will share their stories and look to your experiences as they unfold. Best wishes on your journey and in the field of Clinical Psychology. Thank you for joining us.

Hugs,
Brenda
Hanna
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Hanna »

I enjoyed your tale, and so happy everything has went in the right direction for you.
Enjoy your life.
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

Hi Amanda, I enjoyed reading your story, I'm sure many of us will learn a lot from you. I'm glad your mother took the very positive step of trying to understand, I'm sure it would all be too much for mine. I look forward to reading your posts in the future. Welcome to the forum -wel-
Penny
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

Thank you for sharing Amanda. It is pleasing to read that you had support from the beginning.
Requal
Giselle
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Giselle »

great story Amanda and so glad you are happy and productive.
you didn't mention if your mom is still living?
if she is(and i hope she is) give her a big hug for me
63 yr old married crossdresser still coming to terms what this is all about?
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

Yes Giselle Mom is still alive, she's 48 now. I thank God every day for her and understanding what I know had to be difficult for her. It was tough enough for me to accept so I can only imagine how hard it was for her.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Angie G
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Angie G »

Hi Amanda it's great your Family support. It's nice that your life is going so well for you. You go girl. (--)
Angie
Rita_Cooke

Post by Rita_Cooke »

Thank you for sharing Amanda. It is pleasing to read that you had support from the beginning. I wish I had a similar start.
I was critisised from the start when my mother found me dressing.
I'm to old to think about SRS now but had I started life differently who knows?

Love From the UK