Stockings

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

Re: Stockings

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Most CDers would say that they are lucky to have an accepting wife. It's us wives that are lucky. Instead of nagging about him picking up his dirty laundry off the floor, we have a hubby that takes good care of his laundry. Washing delicates or sorting by colors is not a mystery.
We wear the same size panty hose, she's taller, I'm, umm wider. So when she wants to wash hosery or other under garments, go for it babe. I have confidence it will be done with utmost care.
Neither of us likes to dry certain things outside though. No bras or undies. And neighbors shouldn't see a husband hanging out PH. The curtain rod works just fine.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

It's really too bad all wives do not have your attitude Eileen!
When I was married I preferred to do the laundry for any nice clothes. My ex would sort the colors, but that was about it. After that everything got tossed in with hot water, full agitation, and then into the dryer on high heat for 90 minutes. She did that to a $200 wool sweater that I specifically told her to leave alone and I would hand wash. I was not happy :swear: It would have taken me less than 1 minute to wash it, rinse it and lay it flat to dry.

Now I hand wash just about everything I have. I rarely have enough for a full load anyway, and it's just easier. If I have jeans or something covered in mud and whatever, those will go in the washer to be beaten, but I'm not going to do that to any of my nice clothes. Really it takes less time to hand wash a bra or pantyhose than it does to untangle them from everything else in the washer, even if you do put them in the lingerie bag first. And if I do get a stain on a top or dress, I find the best thing is to scrub the spot with cold water and bar soap and let it sit for a while, after which it usually just rinses out. I can't figure out why so many people believe that if you wear an outfit one time it needs to go through the whole washing machine procedure.
Probably this seems strange, but I enjoy hand washing my nicer clothes. It gives me the chance to play with them, and look at them, and touch them and think "I really like this skirt :) " It's almost as much fun as wearing them. The whole point is to get as much enjoyment from one's clothes as possible, right?
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Oh, I love you Ralitsa! Clothing gets the most abuse in the washer, there is a delicate cycle available. Too many people drop off a load at the dry cleaners with things that can washed much cheaper by hand, in less time. And I never fully machine dry anything, just running up the gas and electric bill.
But I have taken Carol Ann's topic into general laundry tips. Sorry!

Especially with the highly concentrated laundry soaps now days, it only takes a little to make things clean. We prefer Woolite though. Baby soaps like Dreft is also very gentile and has a nice smell to it.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

I agree delicates need to be hand washed and should never see a dryer, ruins the elastic in them. As for hanging them in public, well that's a different story. I may like my lacy undies and don't mind special individuals seeing them they are not for public viewing.