Proper Ladylike Crossing Of Legs

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Proper Ladylike Crossing Of Legs

Post by Martha G »

When dressed en femme I like to act very lady like including the crossing of my legs.

Since I am 5'6" tall and weight in at 200 lbs as well as have short legs I have a very difficult time crossing my legs one knee over the other. It has been since high school when I was skinny that I could do that.

If I got my weight down to what it should be like 145 to 150 lbs, I am sure I could very easily cross my legs knee over knee.

Even in my avatar I am struggling to keep my legs crossed.

Ladies, what is your recommendation for the proper positioning of my legs when sitting at this point? I do have a nice pair of legs and like to show them off.

Hopefully one day I will be able to cross them very ladylike.

Thanks ladies.
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Eileen (SO)

Re: Proper Ladylike Crossing Of Legs

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Dear Martha,

I too am a tiny bit overweight, older joints don't help much either. Crossing legs at the ankle, tucking your feet under the chair is easier. You'll notice that many women don't sit straight in a chair. Rather slightly turned to one side on one hip. Your knees will point to the side and naturally stay together, which of course, is the primary ladylike way to sit.
Watch some old movies. The actresses hardly ever cross their legs at all. They sit sideways and show plenty of leg.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Why thank you Eileen.

I doubt if I ever will be able to cross knee over knee again.

Also I do have older joints.

I believe the advise you gave is what I needed.

It allows me to sit proper and ladylike as well as show some leg when I wear shorter skirts.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Us more mature ladies don't wear very short skirts. A longer skirt with a slit over one leg is one way to look classy and show just a glimpse of leg. As with any well wrapped present, it looks pretty, but the wonderment is what's inside! You can sit comfortably and ladylike at the same time.

Eileen
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

I like that idea. I have always liked a skirt with a slit up the side. Sounds great, ladylike and can show some leg.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

hhuumm older mature women don't wear shorter skirts.... So I guess I'm only older :) If you girls ever watch the Telemundo TV channel, them ladies wear some of the shortest tightest skirts around. Everyone of them crosses their legs and you can see why. They might show more thigh but they show less crotch and the hand in the lap does a better job than is does with the legs flat. If you don't want to show your thigh all the way up, then you wear a bit looser skirt/dress and tuck it under on the sides.

As long as my legs look decent, I will likely wear a skirt that show them off up to the not so good looking parts (basically I don't like showing above mid thigh when sitting). When I cross my legs, I can't be at the bar stools at my watering hole. There is no delicate way to do it and there is no way to keep your legs out of someone's face in many cases because of the way the different tables and booths are arranged. Crossing ankles are a nice alternative to crossing at the knees.

So let me add quirk to this thread. Can you cross your legs the same either left over right or right over left? I can cross them one way but not so much the other.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

A very long time age, a boyfriend would watch Sabido Gigante with the ruse that he was trying to learn Spanish. Then as with nows Telemundo, little is left to the imagination. A beautiful woman has an aura of mystery.

I have not yet found a way to mount a barstool ladylike. They are too high in the first place, with nothing to lean on to get squared away. In a bar scene with CD friends, I'm the one that may be wearing pants.

To answer Davita's question. Right leg over, at the ankle, only while in a recliner. The hips just aren't what they used to be. Even while sleeping, I favor one side over the other.

Eileen
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

To answer Davita's question>

I have not been able to cross one knee over the other since high school days. I also have short legs as well.

If I got my weight down to 145- 150 lbs which is what it should be I would have no trouble.

Would really love to be able to do that. Plus I have nice looking legs as well.

Maybe one day!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

"You probably cross your legs at least once while you’re having dinner, working at your desk, or pretty much any time you sit down. Odds are, you don’t even realize you’re doing it — you just sit and cross one leg over the other, like you’ve done for years.

But experts say you might want to rethink that habit: Crossing your legs can actually have some negative health effects. ..."

a. Back and neck pain
b. Spider / Varicose Veins
c. Elevated blood pressure
d. Adverse affect on the veins and nerves in your legs and feet

"While he says uncrossing every two to four minutes can help minimize damage, he recommends you ditch the habit entirely: “The best advice is always not to sit with your legs crossed.” "

Full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/health/sitting-wi ... 13402.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Oh please, SL. Some articles are written just to get the authors name out. If leg crossing caused varicose veins, wouldn't they be in one leg more than the other? While slouching can be a bad posture habit, sitting ram rod straight with knees together is more uncomfortable in short time.

The objective is to sit lady like, not with knees spread apart like a NBL catcher. If after some kind of social gathering, I experience some neck pain, it's not from how I crossed legs or ankles. More likely from nodding my head, pretending to be interested in some uninformed yahoo's opinion.

Sitting on one hip for a while, then shifting to other, is as natural as turning over in bed. However you do it, crossing legs, ankles, or sitting sideways, 'proper ladylike' requires that knees stay together.

Eileen
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

It has been years since I have been able to cross one leg over the other.

Maybe one day if I lose enough weight.

But for now I prefer to cross my ankles and try to look very ladylike and feminine.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Best way to cross legs when in public is to cross at the ankles.
AmandaD
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by AmandaD »

I almost always cross my legs, as a lady. I even sit when I pee.
Nicci
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Nicci »

Amanda..."ditto", me too. At 6'3 and dropped over 50lbs, I can now easily cross my legs either direction. Not "out" in public yet, but rapidly approaching the just do it" mark. Been practicing sitting like a lady, but absolutely no way to be "ladylike" getting into or out of the Corvette. Guess I just have to bold and quick about it...and park my own car.
Nicci
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Nicci,

There are videos to show you how to get in and out of cars while in a skirt or dress. That said, a vette certainly will be a problem. Just tell the dude holding the door open you charge $100 for that peek or he needs to turn away. Keep one hand down and good luck climbing out. Quick, as you said, is truly the best solution. I found that out once trying to go about it carefully. Too much work and time and heck, doing it quick would have given the guy all of a split second to enjoy himself.
{squeezes}
Davita