Are you really sure you want to be wearing a skirt?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Karin
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Are you really sure you want to be wearing a skirt?

Post by Karin »

Fun times Tammie ;)

I'm curious... How does this go down with your coworkers? Any questions or comments yet? Is so, what're you telling them? :mrgreen:

From my own experiences here, I know both the guys and the GG's notice these things :roll:
*^^* Karin *^^*

Image"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible" Image
Tammie
Permanently Banned

Post by Tammie »

My Boss is A Very amply endowed full figure lady owner of the unisex hair Salon that I work for as a wash person and cashier. I am one of two guys. The other guy has very long blond hair with Pierced earrings of silver interlaced squares. He is a one of four stylist. Three gg Females that always wear red & white spandex
Mini skirts or Spandex shorts and Blue Spandex tops..their "uniform". The guy dresses as UNCLE SAM. Since business is named Samantha‘s Unisex Hair Salon. Only Samantha and i have no uniform.

I know SO HAS TOLD Samantha so I think the four gg staff are in on it. Because they all said "Good Night Tammie have Fun tonight". Also as I left The shop Samantha gave me a "gift" box said open Sunday afternoon for ur . @@9@@ !!hb!! know also.

Opened yesterday afternoon Birthday card was a picture of a sexy lady in a Red &
White Starred Bra with a Blue & White Starred Bikini INSIDE. :Happy Birthday Tammie... what u ask in box?
A complete uniform with every thing including a red white and blue hair bow a.
with note Wear Spandex Shorts and the Spandex Tank top & bow Monday for work

!!hb!! @@9@@ @@9@@ (--) m
Vera
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Vera »

I only wear skirts even when mowing the yard, blouse, stockings and tennis shoes. I wanted to wear slacks would dress as a man.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

By that ? ill take it some one has other idears of what a person should wear according to who ever that person may be, so does that mean i dont have a say as to what i can or not wear,

I dont conform to any one or will be told what i can or not wear, ill wear what i like when i like and for myself , so that should sum up how i act concerning my clothes,

now with our different groups we wear clothes or garb to suit what we are doing and again we can style and make what we wear for those get to gethers and that can be quite nice, as a member of our period wear groups,
so for myself theres two sides to this, even with in our groups we dress for those times that covers 1400 to 1700 and 1300 to now plus 1900 to 1400. and when you look around the world and the different county,s you find so much to choose from,

I have worn shorts while working much of my life out side hot or cold weather and im allmost 67 and body wise still fit and enjoying life as it should be,

I still wear shorts and much of the time well most im in skirts winter or summer with out tights or winter wool;es for most of our winter time, it needs to be very cold before ill wear my thick winter clothes,

...noeleena...
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have heard that from both of my late husbands but usually it was "Do you have to wear slack?, Can't you wear a skirt for me?" :) As many have said the truth is there is a time and a place for both! It didn't take me long to understand the difference either. Living up here in northern Michigan now I probably wear slacks more than skirts but it is funny in that on the warmer days I am more apt to wear a skirt when I go out and slacks or jeans around the house because I am more likely to be outside or on the boat. During the winter months it is the exact opposite!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I usually wear jeans for day to day chores in and around the home. Nicer slacks for evenings out. But that attitude has changed now, dealing with a CD husband. I have come to appreciate dressing more feminine. Still jeans at home, but for dinner dates and visiting friends, dressing up as a lady is as much for him as for me. We tend to get lazy over the years and take our spouse for granted. He, like most all of you dears here, look at not just the woman in public, but her style of dress. I am GG and will dress like one! Considerations for weather, of course. Too many women dress as slobs and I nearly became one myself. In that respect, finding out that my husband dresses as a lady, sometimes, has allowed me to appreciate woman's fashions with a new perspective.

On hot and humid days, sitting outside with a glass of wine and a good book, a skirt is much cooler than shorts. They give a sense of modesty, no matter what is worn underneath. The occasional breeze is exquisite :)

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

On hot and humid days, sitting outside with a glass of wine and a good book, a skirt is much cooler than shorts.
Amen to that!!!! There is just nothing quite like sitting outside in a skirt on a warm day with a good book and glass of wine! It's like sitting by the fire on a cold night with a good book and cup of coffee in a fluffy sweater :)
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

It would be interesting to know the context within which this question was asked. It would seem that it would be most appropriate for the short skirt issue. As for cold weather, you might might to take a look at Sally McGraw of the Already Pretty blog. She's a GG fashion blogger from Minneapolis, and it does get cold there. Wearing skirts in the winter is no big deal when you combine them tights and boots and she has some very attractive outfits.

As for the work issue, I would think that the wearer would find out soon enough if there were a problem. I certainly wouldn't wear a skirt if I were working in a heavily masculine environment as we all know where their minds wander.

Hugs....Tasi
Tasi
Be all you can be
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Diana Michelle wrote:I have heard that from both of my late husbands but usually it was "Do you have to wear slack?, Can't you wear a skirt for me?" :)
Hahaha! I hear the same thing from my wife towards me! :lol:

Seriously though --- It was 12 degrees C yesterday (that's about 56 F in American money) and I had to head out for two tasks that largely required me to be, as I like to say, 'crossdressed as a boy'. First was health related. I got bit by something, perhaps a spider and have a nasty welt on my arm that is painful and swollen, so I had to get to a walk-in clinic. Second was I was going to Chatters, and Canadian equivalent to Ulta in the USA for a consult on getting my hair straightened -- poker straight.

As far as the first goes --well it was probably best that I not be in a girls clothes although doctors and nurses have seen it all. Second, well, that was more tempting, but I didn't want o totally give away my reasonings as I had never been to this particular salon.

Solution -- black kilt. Got to show off my legs! (For I do have the best legs here in my area! :lol: ). It was just at the edge between to cold to not wear a skirt, and warm enough to wear a skirt. Plus-- It might give the stylist a clue as to EXACTLY what I want - for I am a timid bunny in that regard.

Bug bite is getting better .. hair appointment will be for next Tuesday for the full deal -- and the warm sun felt great on my legs. I'd say it was a good day

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Kittie
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kittie »

When I am dressed feminine I tend to wear slacks during the day & then change into a skirt at night. ~I love a skirt
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Not much fun being a CD and wearing trousers
Always a skirt or dress..
Linda S
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Linda S »

^ Agree about trousers - I don't like them on women. But skinny jeans or leggings are another matter entirely - a very feminine and sexy look!
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

By the way. now that the cold weather is approaching, I am seeing
nothing but pants on women.. I am feeling that the way to
be clocked as a CD is to just wear a skirt.
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Just because the weather turns cool doesn't mean we ladies abandon skirts Janet, it only means we are more selective in what skirts we wear and where we wear them. In the cool fall weather a long skirt when paired with tights, especially sweater tights, and boots can be just as warm as slacks. If the opportunity presents itself I will always go with a skirt over slacks. That said there are times slacks are just more practical. Ever fight with a skirt on a blustery day? Even long skirts can possess a mind of their own when the wind is gusting at even 20 MPH. Ever try jumping over a pile of wet leaves or a slushy puddle that is 2 feet wide in a skirt? I think you get the picture.

Yes Janet women wear skirts and dresses and most enjoy them but we can be just as feminine in slacks or jeans. Every woman I know owns dresses and skirts but she also has slacks, jeans, and a lot of us leggings. If you want to dress and present yourself as a woman then you need to try slacks, etc. Take you cue from the situation you are in and wear what is appropriate.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

After reading this entire thread I thought to myself that was me at a certain point in my life. Like Janet in my early stages, even after I came out of the closet I couldn't imagine myself wearing slacks or even fashion jeans when en femme and that was in the late 70's, the height of the Gitano and Gloria Vanderbilt fashion jeans! Then I discovered pants suits and jeans and I went through a phase of only wearing skirts for very special occasions. I can even remember a New Years Eve party back sometime in the 80's where I wore black velvet stirrup pants with a matching blazer. Yes I accessorized them with a gold lame top and black velvet pumps with a 4" stiletto heels but they were slacks. Eventually I learned that both slacks and skirts could could cohabitate in a girls wardrobe and where each was appropriate and acceptable.

For the last two years or so I have been living 24/7 as Trudy and over that time I have acquired a steady male companion, yes a boyfriend! In the beginning of our relationship II only wore skirts and dresses when we were together.Then slowly slacks drifted into my wardrobe when I was with him and even jeans for occasions when we would go on a picnic, to the zoo, etc. Fast forward to last winter which here in Michigan it was bitter cold. By then I had fallen into the routine Eileen described, jeans or casual slacks around the house and for evenings out it was dress slacks. Even the early spring was cooler than average so I stayed with my slacks, usually with hose underneath for warmth. Once the weather finally turned I continued wearing slacks swapping the pantyhose for knee highs. Then one evening the BF and I were going to dinner at a nice restaurant and when he arrived to pick me up I had on a nice pair of gray dress slacks and an embroidered pink sweater with gray leather pumps.

It was then he said somewhat Diana says her husband's used to say but he worded differently. It was something to the effect of "I can't remember the last time I saw you in a skirt." I did change to a skirt that evening and of course he was happy. His comment got me to thinking and I came to realize that slacks and skirts belong in a lady's wardrobe and there is a time and a place for both. Yes I still wear slacks and have with the BF but I also wear skirts and dresses and not only when I am with Bob. Gils there is nothing wrong embracing your feminiñe side but as I am sure some here will agree with me you can be just as feminine in a pair of slacks as you can be in a skirt.