pantyhose or stockings

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Joy

pantyhose or stockings

Post by Joy »

Hi all i love going out in a nice dress or skirt .. I usaually wear dark colored hose to help hide some scares on my legs. but not many women wear them much anymore I dont want to stand out either any ideas Joy
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: pantyhose or stockings

Post by Robyn »

Oh my, there are a lot of pantyhose, stockings, and dress style opinions here on the forum. We're all different with varied styles suitable for our personal taste as well as our age group and the common fashions of our local area.

I too have the remnants of vicious wounds on my shins and knees from a life of reckless play. My solution is maxi dresses and skirts, which I adore anyway. There worn with bare legs, cute flats or wedge sandals with visibly painted toes, and they cover the battle scars nicely of course. I do wear shorter dresses, but consideration of where I'll be going is always taken. For an evening event stockings are suitable, thus I tend to dress up a bit rather than my normal casual style.

Not sure if that helped, but if you do like maxi dresses that'll solve your scar problem. :)
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

I'm in the beet up leg camp as well. One surgical scare on a knee and chronic dermatological problems in the lower shine and around the ankle. I can't do anything about the knee. I am loving my ankles into submission (remission?) with direction of a doctor. Not missing application of the topical meds and being a serial applier of moisture.

Still feel too self conscious to go out bear legged, but it is looking like one day I will be able to. So long as the hem is below the knee - or I don't care about the knee scar!

In the mean time, opaque stockings seem to be in vogue, at least when it is not blistering hot. I am afraid, though, it might be starting to go out of style. Guess we will know for sure when things start to cool off.

This summer, Robyn's maxi suggestion is spot on! The maxi fashions out there right now are fantastic - and I never cared that much for them, but wow.

Locally what I do is hang out places where professional women (NO NO, Not THOSE kind of professionals [-X ) and see what they are doing with their legs. Places might be the coffee shops near business districts or medical centers; the pubs on Friday afternoon. (Stop watching Suits, go to where the legal secretaries go for happy hour!). Point is, go where stylish women congregate, determine the current fashion trends, apply them to hiding the blemishes on your legs.

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
AnnMarie Sweet
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by AnnMarie Sweet »

Up until a couple of years ago, I was 'stockings-exclusive' (sheer and always with suspender-belt - no stay-ups). But I have now developed a thing for pantyhose as well due to the availability of the 'fashion hose' style (sexy patterns). Cuban-heel seamed sheer p/hose always look great with a tight little black dress (as do fishnet tights). So-called 'suspender hose' are a fantastic trade-off between stockings and pantyhose, and just feel great. My favourite nylons - the full-fashioned type - are now reserved for special occasions.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Maybe it's because of my age, 32, or the fact I've been told I have great legs :) but I like going without hose. With the exception of church with Mom I haven't worn hose since probably April. Yes I do like how my legs look in hose and it is a more "polished" look but going without hose is a a heck of a lot cooler and comfortable. Still I can't wait until fall when I call start wearing my colorful tights and boots again.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I don't go out dressed but if I did I wear panty hose or stockings because like others on here have mentioned I have a some scars and mars on my legs that I don't want to impose on others. In fact I almost never get dressed and not put on something to cover my legs. I hardly ever wear shorts in man mode because I don't need others looking at my legs.

Recently my wife and I went to a wedding. She was going to wear panty hose but really didn't want to because it was so hot out. She was going to be wearing a maxi dress anyway so I told her she would be fine without them. I was interested to know how many women at this large wedding would be wearing hose since my wife and I had discussed this so as we stood outside the church afterward waiting on the couple to come out I took a quick survey and noticed that there were very few women wearing hose of any kind. Looking at some their legs in their shorter dresses I had to wonder what they were thinking because frankly my legs look better bare than some of theirs did. Maybe its just me but I wondered why they would go to all the trouble to look really nice and then go out with their legs looking like they did.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

I was raised by my grandmother and she taught me that a lady always wears hose when she goes out. Like many girls I wore pantyhose for years but maybe 5 years ago or so I started wearing thigh highs. I find them more comfortable and cooler and yes a bit sexy! :) Sure I wear pantyhose on occasion with shorter skirts and under slacks but probably 75% of the time or more its thigh highs for this girl.

Was never a big fan of tights, those were for little girls and big girls wear nylons right? I do admit that last year I did get a couple pairs of the patterned tights to wear and I loved them. I hope that style sticks around this fall and winter.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I am no fan of the bare leg rage overtaking the world. Sadly most women's legs are not perfect. In reality most are far from it between scars, spider veins, cellulite, fat thighs, bony knees,or other flaws. Yes I go without hose, especially if I wear a maxi, but there is a time for the more polished look and thankfully I know that. Sure hose can be hot and uncomfortable but who said it was easy being a woman? :lol:

I agree with you Sarah Beth about what are women thinking sometimes and wonder if they ever take a long look in the mirror. I have been to many functions where the women dressed up and still left their bare and in many cases ugly legs hanging out. In my mind they have just wasted their time dolling up from the waist up to look so bad below.

There was a time in my life I probably had several weeks on end when I would have some form of hose on between working in an office 5 days a week, church on Sundays, and and going out Saturday evenings. Sure they can be a pain at times but it was part of the expected "uniform". I got through it as did many women. Is today's woman so wrapped up in herself that she has lost the desire to look for head to toe?
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
CharLee
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by CharLee »

The only time I will go bare legged is when I am wearing shorts or a bathing suit. I am not a fan of pantyhose, I am a girdle and stockings girl. Whenever I wear a skirt & blouse or a dress I always wear a girdle and stockings, even if I am just staying in the house all day. I can't understand the women who complain that at times it's too hot to wear hose,Y because here in Florida the temperatures are almost always above 85 - 95 degrees and I will still be wearing my hose. Not to" blow my own horn" but I have a good looking pair of legs but still won't go bare legged because I feel hose adds a polished look to anyones legs. You will never catch me not wearing stockings when I am in a skirt or dress for I feel they only enhance the look of being a woman.
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

I love this thread, it shows the diversity of personal preference :-)

Bravo ladies!
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Little girls love getting their first pair of tights. Go-Go boots and pantyhose were popular during grade school. High School trended toward slacks or jeans. At some point, learning about my husbands dressing habits, I realized he had more pantyhose than I did. While I only wore them for special occasions, he wore them for the feminine pleasure.

Hosiery of any kind is better than bare legs if you want to look nice and ladylike. I find that knee highs are cooler and stay up better than thigh highs, if the skirt is long enough. They also work with capris and loafers.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Personally I'm a pantyhose girl but stockings paired with a garter belt can be sexy and fun. Just ask my BF! :oops: I also vote with those that eschew the no hose look. Yes I tried going hoseless and while I found it more comfortable it left me looking less polished and ladylike. Generally if I wear a maxi I go without hose but if any portion of my legs are exposed I wear hose.

Eilèen is right about a young girl's delights in getting her first pair of hose, well at least it used to be. It is a right of passage not unlike when she gets her first "training" bra. It is a sign she is progressing from little girl to a young lady. I can remember when my sisters got their first pair of nylons and garter belt. They seemed to suddenly grow up.

Never worn knee highs with anything but slacks. I suppose with a maxi or even a calf length flowing skirt they would!d work. Maybe I will give it a try next time it gets hot and muggy. After all it's only the middle of August I'm sure we are in for more of that here around Detroit. :(
Cathey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Cathey »

I too have scars . stockings and pantyhose may hide most of them. but not all.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I don't know about a girdle and stockings CharLee but I like most women over the age of 35 wear control top pantyhose. To me that is one thing women seem to have forgotten about when they go sans hose, the control top! They seem to think just because they opt to have us see their bare and generally unattractive legs we also want to see their guts hanging out. For heavens sake with the multitude of shape wear available nowadays there must be something they can wear. Granted Spanx is expensive but it does work and with just a little care it lasts. Today's shapers are a hell of a lot more comfortable than their predecessors. Too bad today's woman doesn't seem to care how others see her!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

In all but the hottest of weather I always wear hose with a skirt or dress. Generally it is pantyhose, helps with containing things if you girls get my drift. I do wear a garter belt and stockings as a treat for the BF from time to time. I don't do it on a regular basis just often enough to keep him on his toes. :) I think if you want that elegant look you neèd hose rather than bare legs still today's woman seems to think otherwise.

I agree with you Diana Michelle about how they seem to have forgotten how much better they liked with their control tops on. As I generally wear a padded girdle I don't have that issue. As a matter of fact there was a time I used to put a couple of foam hip pads in the front of my girdle to give me that little "mommy tummy". I guess I felt it gave me a more passable look when I was in my 30's & 40's.