pantyhose or stockings

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: pantyhose or stockings

Post by Karen Ski »

In the early stages of the no hose revolution I thought how disgusting. When that first summer came and it turned hot I figured why not and found it a lot cooler and comfortable. One of the many great things to living in a warm climate is winters are very gentle. There are many days even in the dead of "winter" I go out in a dress or skirt and no hose, even wearing knee high boots.

Yes I agree hose gives a more polished look but I understand why women are embracing the no hose rage. I do wear tights or hose, generally pantyhose, when I am going out to a fancy restaurant., wedding reception, etc. I do know at almost 62 my legs are not what they used to be but then again I am a fan of calf length skirts and maxis. It did take a bit getting used to wearing pumps, boots, and even some flats without hose but now that I am used to it I never got it a second thought. My BF does prefer me to wear hose so when we are going l out I generally wear them for him. Definitely not for me though.
Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Belinda »

I am firmly in the pantyhose/tights camp. It has been the focal point of my crossdressing since I was twelve in 1972. Prior to that I loved the look of tights and was so envious of the girls of my age who started to wear them as they approached their teens. When I started dressing as a girl I really envied the go go boots and tan tights look. I still crave it now but would not look good at the age of 55.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I always wear control top pantyhose.. I am tall and the control top stays up and doesn't slide down
The fit is perfect. I gave up on the gartered stockings years ago and besides when I go out
the pantyhose are easier to deal with logistically.
Kim D.
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kim D. »

There was a time I strictly wore pantyhose, probably because they were easier to get. Lately I have found myself returning to my roots, I'm 67, and going back to stockings. Generally I wear a girdle to hold them up but garter belts can be fun too. I just ordered a couple of everyday garter belts from shopnational.com as well as some more stockings. It is sad things like this are not more readily available in stores. Perhaps more women would wear hose if they had more choices.
SarahMicheline
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by SarahMicheline »

I love pantyhose/tights, certainly in the UK the almost all GG's seem to have an endless supply of back tights, as if it is a uniform! I personally love. There is such a ready supply of different colours, thicknesses and even designs that make tights a real must!
“Rules are there to be broken…”
Katie Anne

Post by Katie Anne »

I guess I am becoming very predictable. I wear skirts and dresses nearly all the time. I can't imagine not wearing hose with a skirt. To me, it looks like a woman got dressed in a frantic hurry when she goes bare legged. I dislike both the look and feel of bare legs and I will usually wear pantyhose under shorts or a romper when I putter in the yard. Like many women, I have scars on my legs from years of rough play when I was young. Pantyhose or tights cover the scars and show off the muscles that all that running built. I also find wearing heels over bare feet extremely uncomfortable. My feet slide into my high heels so much easier when my feet are covered in nylon. I also like wearing leggings and high socks over pantyhose in the winter time. I find this warmer than slacks.
Cheers, Katie Anne
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Pantyhose for me!

I'll wear stockings on occasion, but my preference by far is pantyhose. I usually go for control top and will always wear with a skirt or dress. I never, ever go bare legged. Often times, I will even wear under jeans or slacks.

Since discovering leggings however, I find that I often go the easy route and throw on a pair with a tunic or long sweater! Add a nice pair of boots and voila... instant outfit, ladies!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Always hosiery for me when I go out. Yea I know a lot of women these days go out without hosiery. For me I sell wear hosiery all the time. Would not be femme time for me with out it .

kimberlys cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
AmandaD
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by AmandaD »

I simply love hose and stockings.. I can't imagine myself without them.
Debbie Jean
Account Deactivated at Member's Request

Post by Debbie Jean »

Definitely nylons, garter belt and stilettos for me. Not the most comfortable things to wear, but don't all (or almost all) of us gals sacrifice a little comfort or convenience for looking glamorous or sexy? Added benefit from a practical standpoint is that when one wears the garter belt underneath the panties it simplifies going to the bathroom. Of course I'm not a fan of pantyhose or tights, don't own any at all. This whole thing is one (of many) things that my wife and I agree totally on.

hugs,
Deb
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

When I was younger, and thinner, and outside en femme (which was never very much anyway), I was always in pantyhose or bare legged.

Now, the ravages of Diabetes and varicose veins preclude going barelegged at all in public. Now I prefer Thigh Highs, because I can't find a garter belt big enough for traditional hosiery, and wrestling with pantyhose every half hour (BPH) is a complete non-starter. At home, I'm mostly still bare-legged. Face it: Cost is a factor.

Hugs,

Bernice
Angie G
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Angie G »

I sometimes get my shines banged up leaving black ang bule marks I don't go out so it no big deal But I like short skirts and dresses And love my pantyhose and stockings. (--)
Angie
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

If I go out in any skirt or dress other than a maxi I always wear black stockings, usually hold-ups although I've tried suspenders and found them very comfortable - I hardly felt them at all. With a bit more practice at shaving my legs I'll be more confident about going bare-legged but writing as I am in late September I won't see much of the kind of weather for that for a few months. Several of you have mentioned scars. I can understand you wanting to cover them but remember many women's legs have scars or birthmarks so it won't necessarily make you unconvincing. In cooler weather I like to wear boots to just below knee height and all my skirts and dresses are knee length or longer so then there isn't much leg to see!
Penny
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

when tights became the craze in the 60s and 70s, if I was wearing leg coverings it was always tights as it felt so sexy to be wearing the same as my wife and other girls. Then one day I found that my mother in law still prefered to wear stockings with a suspender belt. So I tried wearing a belt and stockings when I had the chance.
As I got older, and the bulges started to take over, I found that I had difficulty in keeping the belt round my waist and it usually descended to my hips with the consequent lowering of the stocking top. So it was back to tights.
In the 90s, fashioned changed to hold up stockings, so I tried these for a time but after a couple of wears and washes the silicon bands started to slip down my legs so that several times they slipped as far as the knees and I got wrinkly stockings. Maybe it was because they came in only one size which came to mid thigh. It is only recently that these holdups have been sold in different lengths which enable the band to secure itself at the top of the thigh.
However I now find that because of my shape, tights have become my normal leg covering and I enjoy the all over feeling of nylon on my legs and hips.
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

Back when I started out on my life's journey I loved pantyhose. I remember getting my first pair at the age of 10 and felt like such a big girl! Then after graduating college, starting out with a large corporation where the expected uniform for all was business formal which meant suits and ties for the guys and skirted suits with hose and heels for us gals. That meant 5 days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day or more between work and commuting time and such. It grew old quickly. I stayed at the job 6 years and took a sabbatical before rejoining the work force. This time with a smaller company with more of a corporate casual dress code. Yes I still wore skirts with hose and heels sometimes but sometimes it was just slacks maybe with knee high stockings or flats. I was glad when the no hose look came in I have to admit. Cooler on warm days and definitely more comfortable.

I have to admit yes there are times I still enjoy getting dressed up and wearing hose but for squeezing my lower half into a sausage casing 5 or more days a week, no thank you!