Visible Bra Straps

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Visible Bra Straps

Post by Robyn »

I guess I'm not hip to the latest trends and crazes around other parts of the country. But then again, isn't it the young club divas and/or high society socialites who are the Vogue, Cosmo, and Glamour show pieces.

Being an average every day gal we don't want our bra straps to show, it's just tacky; however, there are outfits that are a bit hard to manage. That being said, I was taught to color coordinate the bra with the outfit so it's not so blatant. Of course the optimum solution is to dress appropriately in the first place, but when out and about in the general public you'll see average woman going about their business with the occasional strap peeking over the shoulder as things tend to fall out of place as we scurry about. Not a crime, or an OMG moment, just life.

On the other hand, if it is a new fad I haven't seen yet I doubt many 50 year old woman in my public circles will be following it so I won't be the odd ball trying to coordinate and cover. :)
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Considering when this thread started, underwear straps being displayed is neither a fad or a craze.

I first noticed it in the early (mid) nineties on our baby sitters; seemed to be very age demographic. I remember asking my wife if the bra strap had become a fashion accessory. After a few day, she commented that it did seem to be what the young girls were doing. Was it fashion, laziness, or poor parenting - hard to say.

Those girls grew up, continuing their practice all the way, and setting an example for those who followed.

Then and now, I think it is tacky. Subtracts from not add to the outfit.

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Living in a college town I have almost grown immune to visible bra straps as I see it constantly. Personally it is not for me but I don't find it as objectable as many here do. I do admit while on a younger girl say in her teens or even early 20's it can be cute at times but when you see it on a more mature woman I find silly to be nice.

While Ann Arbor is a college town it is also an upscale community. While you see bra straps on the college girls you rarely see it on the older women. My personal style tends to be more conservative so I go with the belief that underwear should serve a purpose not be a fashion statement.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I really think it is awful to see the bra straps
Its like men having their underwear sticking out.
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

Showing your bra strap may be a fashion statement but it's still tacky and considered a fashion faux pas, but not a big one. One poster commented about a black bra under a sheer white top. Why not wear a red bra, same effect. Actually a good GG friend was wearing that (black bra)when dining with me tonight. Not sure who she was trying to attract. To me, wearing a white lacy bra under a sheer white top would be more sexy as it gives just a hint of femininity. You see this often when women are wearing racing Ts. I hope that is just short term convenience. Not wearing appropriate clothing is just indicative of the sloppy dressing by American women today and also from the younger generations who haven't learned that appearance counts
Tasi
Be all you can be
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I think a little bit of strap showing can be cute and fashionable, but as with all things fashion, context matters.
The color has to coordinate with the outfit, and it needs to be done sensibly, but I don't think it's absolutely forbidden.

There are even some places now on Etsy, and I've seen in a few stores, replacement straps that look more like jewelry and are specifically meant to be seen. Sassy Straps is one name that comes to mind, but I don't know if they are still around. It's a look that I kind of like, though I myself cannot pull it off. I might be jealous of the women that can pull it off, but I'm not going to condemn them for it :P
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Oh my goodness! Besides choosing an outfit, now we have to pick out bra straps?

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I will stick with keeping my bra straps under, somewhat matching and out of sight. Does that make me an old fashioned gurl?
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

No, it makes you a woman that knows how to dress appropriately
Tasi
Be all you can be
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Ralitsa wrote:I think a little bit of strap showing can be cute and fashionable, but as with all things fashion, context matters.
!!!yes!!!

I have a black, spaghetti strap, cami top with a red band logo (hey - I'm really into my music, LOL). I like to wear it with my red bra - straps are just about the same size as the top, but obviously visible. I think it looks super cute and quite fashionable! :mrgreen:
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Fashionable can be in the eye of the beholder Emma. I grew up in a generation where a woman's underpinnings were to remain from the view of all but a selected individual in more intimate moments. :mrgreen:

Perhaps the red bra straps under a black top may be cute on a 16 year old, IMO anyone over the age of 25 should know better and dress accordingly.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Diana Michelle wrote:Fashionable can be in the eye of the beholder Emma.
True, true, Diana! :mrgreen:

Will it make a difference if I said that its not something that I would ever wear out in public? I do try to dress conservatively when out! :lol:
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

Like many I grew up in a time when a lady would never show her underpinning to the world and I guess I still feel that way. Living here in LA you see just about everything and the visible bra strap doesn't even rate a second look today, even highly contrasting ones. While it is not a look for me I have to say it is better at least she wore a bra, especially some of the more endowed ladies. :shock:
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Karen Ski wrote: at least she wore a bra, especially some of the more endowed ladies. :shock:
Amen to that, Amanda. Somewhere, I recall a cute story of a near elderly lady that frequently wore sheer white blouses with lacy full length bras underneath.
One could clearly see her bra, but everything was covered none the less.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

as I don't look at fashion I,ll have little idear of whats what , and as I don't need bra,s or wear them , it matters not what I wear,spos being one of those females who has breasts that sit well are real and look good I,m very fortunate, so I do have some details about myself that are just so right, and over 69 Y,

There has to be something about myself that's neat and lovely, that's my story any way .....

...noeleena...