Visible Bra Straps

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Visible Bra Straps

Post by Sarah Rene »

I may be the odd woman out here but I am pretty ambivalent to the issue of the visible bra strap. Perhaps I have just grown so used to seeing it I really don't think about. I have been known to do it around the house in the summer and yes I may even run to the grocery store like that but not much farther as I am a bit of an old fashioned conservative dresser. I should say if I am like that in a tank with my bra straps visible or potentially so I do try to match my bra color to my top unlike many who seem to go for highest contrast they can attain.

I am not going to try to make a case for everyone showing off their bra straps but we all know what a pain strapless bras are. Last time I wore one was to a wedding of some friends I wish I could tell you how many times I went to the powder room to give it a yank back up into place. :shock:
Wendae
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Wendae »

I'm still old school. <>
I believe I was a lesbian in my past life
Joan Renee
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Joan Renee »

it all depends on what im wearing. if its a regular top or shirt. i try my best to keep them concealed. if its tank tops with shorts. its obivious they got to show. then i dont have a problem with it. at least im keeping my little girls covered lol
i don't wear women's clothes. i wear my clothes as i am the one who purchased them.
i'm not ashamed to dress like a woman. because i don't think its shameful to be a woman.
-Iggy pop-
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

Visible bra straps? Guilty as charged your honor! :lol:

I admit to many times running around in a tank top or cami top with my bra straps in view in the hot muggy Michigan summers as I have seen my sister and mother do as well. Sometimes they match, sometimes they contrast and I am sure to some they may even clash at times. Granted this is around the apartment or at the library studying or running to the grocery store or maybe even on a picnic with my BF. I would never go like that on a more formal date like dinner or a show and especially around the BF's parents.

Let us be honest here ladies. Sarah has it right about strapless bras and how basically worthless they are unless you are standing still and I think even then it would require a yank up back into place after a while. They can put a man on the moon, why is it no one can design a strapless bra that stays where it should? I struggle to fill a B cup so I am far from what you would call chesty. I can just imagine what is like for the more endowed women of the world.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I read this post as referring to bra straps showing as a fashion statement, not inadvertent glimpses when wearing tank tops. Of course in our most casual attire during the heat of Summer, straps will be more visible.
Amanda R wrote: They can put a man on the moon, why is it no one can design a strapless bra that stays where it should? I struggle to fill a B cup so I am far from what you would call chesty. I can just imagine what is like for the more endowed women of the world.
It's gravity, honey. What causes a spacecraft to go faster will also make your boobies droop.
Most all sexy lingerie is made for looks, not comfort or practicality.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote:
It's gravity, honey. What causes a spacecraft to go faster will also make your boobies droop.

Eileen
I may be the blonde here but wouldn't gravity slow down a rocket unless it were returning to earth? :-k
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

It seems more common to see bra straps and also bra bands on girls, both young and older. It can be seen in TV screens, especially on soaps where it is a fashion statement to show all of a black bra other than the cups peeking out of tank tops. Most common form of bra showing is a sports bra with or without a shirt top.

I always manage to hide my bra straps and bands under dark coloured and thick shirts.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Hum...Well after viewing the very off the shoulder look...there are strapless bras...but if you choose I would I suppose opt for a color matching the dress or top color...I would feel kind of tacky as if I had just pulled the sleeves down to expose my usual white bra straps. Personal choice I would say...anything and everything does go these days.

Exception would be to follow the herd in your area of the country, or in your town or city to see what the consensus seems to be if any...
Go with the flow
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

Diana Michelle wrote:
I may be the blonde here but wouldn't gravity slow down a rocket unless it were returning to earth? :-k
Don't sell yourself short. Yours was a very good question. The short answer is "speed relative to what?".

A longer answer may be found at http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-bl ... ssist.html

Hugs,

Bernice
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Some interesting articles on both sides of the fence on this topic.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/92385-7 ... o-leave-me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/ ... 19763.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2012/05/cas ... traps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.startribune.com/ask-the-expe ... 276964651/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thegloss.com/fashion/bra-sty ... on-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess I am not very fashion forward always keeping my bra straps under cover.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Interesting articles Kimberly and food for thought for us old broads. Being raised in a different era I guess we tend to look at new fashion trends with a wary eye. I remember how my mother thought mini skirts were scandalous back in the 60s.

Still said I also remember my mother telling my sisters, me as well when she came to grips with having a 4th daughter, A lady never shows her underpinnings unintentionally. Maybe the bra strap as a fashion statement for the younger generations is fine but this old gal will keep hers hiddien away.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Deidre, I agree some of them had some interesting thoughts on the subject. The big things I got out of them is that it was new fashion and second there is a place and a time. In general casual is ok in general. But not in formal or in most work situations.

I am with you and this gurl keeps her under wraps.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

I swear there are days out and about I see more women showing bra straps than not. Like others I grew up in a different era where a woman's bra straps were not meant to be seen it is how it is now, especially with the younger generations.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Yeah! Young women actually wear lingerie on the outside, there are some actually made to be worn outside...Bustiers...Leggings as pants...people wear pajamas in public too, corsets...It's a kind of trashy trend which the young see as just being kind of sexy....copying trashy singers like Madonna, and others on through the present day it has been there a long time. Men too "sagging" makes me sick but they want to waddle with their pants down on their thighs in some cases...and again it comes out of the music industry as a form of rebellion against what they believe to be a bad or oppressive society hence...Rap...Gangsta Rap....etc glorifying what is criminal as justified due to oppression...a kind of fist to the face or a finger to the society they are living in.
Go with the flow
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Well I'm going to take both sides of the argument. I don't think it's terrible to show some straps on occasion. And in fact I really like the Sassy Straps, which are intended to be shown off. I had some of them a while back, don't remember now where they are. But thinking about this reminds me that I should get some more. There was a shop on Easy I liked that made and sold them but I haven't seen them in a while. So I think it can be a stylish and sexy look.

But I don't agree with just letting them show randomly, and not coordinate with the color of ones dress or top. And I don't like them showing under a too flimsy top where someone can basically see your whole bra. And maybe they will occasionally peek out from some tops, but that should be very rare and not just because one didn't take the effort to prevent it. Especially if it's a boring or an ugly bra - but I object to those categorically just on mere principal.