Suit question

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Danielle S
Miss Silver Goddess

Suit question

Post by Danielle S »

One of my favorite outfits is a skirt suit. If I button the jacket all the way, I don't appear to need a top underneath and even if I wear a shell or a cami, it is not visible when the jacket is buttoned all the way. When I bought the suit, I asked the SA about wearing something underneath and she was noncommittal; the photos I see in catalogs often show models wearing the jacket buttoned and nothing showing. However, I like the look of a cami or shell with the jacket open or only buttoned at the bottom. So my question is - is there a "right" way to wear a skirt suit or button/unbutton the jacket? Do women sometimes wear no top under the jacket?
Thanks
Danielle S
Kendra Lynn
Miss Emerald Goddess

SKIRT SUITS

Post by Kendra Lynn »

Hello: If I'm not mistaken, I've seen photos of models with the jacket of a skirt suit either "open" or buttoned all the way.
Seems to me you can go for whatever option looks best on you.
(Of course, buttoning the jacket all the way means the "adams apple" is more likely to be covered up...)
Peace-- Kendra Lynn ("hippie cheerleader").
Terri(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Terri(SO) »

Personally, I never wear a suit with no layering top underneath. Wearing the suit jacket buttoned while sitting is uncomfortable since it bunches up and I unbutton at least the bottom buttons, if not the whole thing to let it drape. Of course, this is not for looks but simple practicality.
Love is a verb. It's a doing thing. No action, no love! - Terri