At what age is a girl too old for short skirts?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

At what age is a girl too old for short skirts?

Post by Karen Ski »

A freind called me last night and wanted me to meet her and a couple of other girls for a drink so I said sure. I grabbed a denim skirt that is a couple of inches above the knee, pulled on sme black tights, my black knee high boots and off I went. When I got there one of the other girls I don't know very well commented maybe I am a bit old, I am 56, for a skirt like I had on. I was a bit upset as I keep in shape, I still wear aze 10, and thnk my legs look pretty decent for an old broad. Was she right? Am I too old to wear a skirt that short?
Angie T
Miss Crystal Goddess

Never too short

Post by Angie T »

By standards an older person should not wear shot dresses.... But who sets the standards? Society!

I am also 56, most ladies I meet when I am dressed have said they hope they look as good as me when they get my age, and wished their legs looked as good as mine. I feel if you have a good body then why not show it off!

Most likely they were just jealous!!!!
Just a girl from Long Island
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Age has nothing to do with it, IMHO.

If you have the legs/body for it, then short skirts should be no problem.

Besides, I'm a firm believer that we should be able to wear what ever we feel like.
DonnaT
Angela
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Angela »

Sounds like the green eyed monster rearing it's ugly head.
If a woman (GG or CD) has a good pair of legs why shouldn't she show them off in a short skirt? I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'm certainly not going to stop wearing my minis.
Love

Angela
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

You know the old adage, "it ain't braggin if you can do it!!!"

You set your own standards and if you feel you look good in a mini and think you have the legs for it, be like . . .

NIKE! "JUST DO IT!!!!!"

Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Stormy(SO)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Humpf!!

Post by Stormy(SO) »

First of all, several inches above the knee does not qualify as a mini! 6 - 8 inches above the knee would qualify as a mini. With that being said, women over 40 tend to wear their skirts where you were wearing yours unless you're Courtney Cox and then you need to think Cougartown <G>. In this case it does sound like the green eyed monster talking. If you look good in it and you feel good in it - wear it! Missy has put together some interesting outfits but has never looked like a tramp and it doesn't sound like you looked like one either! Have fun sister!!

Light, love and laughter,
Stormy
Live well, Laugh often, Love much!
Melyssa Anne
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melyssa Anne »

If you are in nude hose or without hose....well, they may have something to talk about. But in tights or leggings, you were in style no matter what your age. At least thats what I've been seeing and hearing on the Network and Chicago area shows talking about the latest in winter styles.

Go for it GF
Missy
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Well me I don't care what age you are if you got it show it cause I will be looking, legs, this old gal still love to see legs in a short skirt *-*
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Karen, the outfit sounds cute and very appropriate for a casual setting like a bar having a couple of drinks with friends. I too am 56 and 6 years living FT, and have several shorter skirts including a leather mini I wore on New Years Eve. Girl if you have the figure and the legs then flaunt it! It sounds like the other girl, you didn't say if she was TG of GG, was just either jealous or an extreme conservative that wants all of us to go back into hiding. Either way or whatever she thought, be comfortable with yourself and you will get along just fine.
Aeryn
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Aeryn »

This is ageism. We have this concept of what "old people" should look like and behave like. We want our geezers in sweat pants puttering around the golf course! We want them with short, blue hair! It's that "act your age" thing.

But we are living longer and healthier lives (despite the US's obesity issue), which changes things up a bit.

If you can pull it off, great. My neighbor's mother is in her late 50's/early 60's and wear short skirts all the time. But she pulls it off with her "young" attitude and approach to life.
PhylissH
Miss Platinum Goddess

too short

Post by PhylissH »

Karen I am 52 and wear sirts like you described all the time when goung out cassual. Where I am working in south Florida women of all ages wear just about what ever they want, although some should think about the outfit before going out.
But it is true if you have the figure and the legs you can carry it off.
Check the pics of me in the gallery in xmas and newyears outfits, much shorter than i usually wear but Everyone told me how nice I looked.
So sound a little like the greeneyed Monster to me also
" I would rather die while I am living than live when I am dead"

Texas CD, Best of both worlds,
Hugs Phyliss
Janice SO
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Janice SO »

It sounds like a purely unkind and hurtful comment, of which I would pay no regard. If you felt good wearing the skirt then that is all that matters. Clothes are a personal expression, and if you feel good in any particular style, then wear it with pride.
Janice SO
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

You're never too old for a short skirt if you don't look ridiculous in it! Interesting experience with my young daughter-in-law. We were at a coffee shop and this incredibly fine looking mid-50s woman came walking in - From the neck down, she looked about 27. Skirt was short, and d-i-l disapproved. I told her then that I used to wear them that short all the time, and that if I still could, I still would... Wear what you like. Life is way too long to live by other people's rules!
-georgia (so)
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

There will come a day when you won't even be ashamed if you are fat.

Frank Zappa.

I figure if it's okay for old people or men to wear short skirts it should be okay for fat people to wear them also. Why should they be constrained by my idea of what is attractive?
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Cathey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Re: At what age is a girl too old for short skirts?

Post by Cathey »

\:D/ sounds like the other person was jealous. -,,-
what was she wearing ?

sounds like you were comfortable with what you wore.
hope you had an enjoyable time.
with the way you were dressed,
I go any where with you and be proud to be with you .

have a great day.