Proper way to wear a garter belt

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

Re: Proper way to wear a garter belt

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Dear Trudy, that's wonderful that you are part of the woman's bridge club! My mom played, but I never got into the game. The primary purpose seems to be the local gossip and the card game secondary. But isn't every hair salon, barber shop, or other uncountable social gatherings much the same?

We are not far distant in age, it does make a difference though. Just because my friends don't wear garters, (and to be honest, I haven't asked) doesn't mean nobody does.
Not far from our home, there is a small foundation shop. I'm sure they have a larger clientele than just mature woman and CD's.

Personally, I've never worn garters except for a trial. Mom and Aunts did though. Pantyhose is just so much easier. Then again, there is the subtitle hint of clasps showing through a skirt or dress that men find appealing.

A vast majority of women now days tend to forget how to dress nicely, I'll include myself until having to compete with my husband in feminine wear. :)

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

You are absolutely correct Eileen, the bridge club is really more about the gossip and a chance to get together than the game. Personally I'm with you prefering pantyhose to garters and stockings. Much more available and the control tops help keep things situated. :)

The lingerie shop near me is frequented by a wide age range although they only carry higher end brands so with a lot of women thre are more lookers than buyers. I like it because they do carry a good selection of quality shapers as well as nightgowns. I have a good relationship with one of the women who works there and she has told me that although they sell their share of sexy items it so everyday bras, panties, and yes shapewear that makes most of their sales. She has also told me that maybe because of where they are located, an upscale suburb, they sell a lot of shapers to a wide age range. The younger women opt for Spanx but the more mature crowd seems to lean more towards what we used to call girdles.

I just got back a few days ago from a 12 day vacation with the BF. As a treat for him I only took and wore stockings, usually with a garter belt but a couple of days I wore thigh highs. Believe me they are sexy and he loved it but after about 5 or 6 days I was ready to go shopping for some pantyhose. ](*,) I didn't but I know I would have been much more comfortable. I can only I imagine how uncomfortable it would have been back in the dark ages of the 50's when most women wore them with a girdle all day. :(
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

My God! I can't believe this subject has stayed alive for 5 years! As I have said in other posts I am a pantyhose girl generally. I find them comfortable and smoothing and as a waitress the support style helps tired legs. Yes I own and have worn garter belts and stockings, generally for the BF :oops: but also in the sometimes oppressive heat and humidity of summer as they are a lot cooler.

Eileen I have 3 older sisters, I am 62, and they all grew up in the pre-pantyhose era. I know one of them has never been a fan of pantyhose and generally wears thigh highs. I have never taken a poll of other women, sisterly talk is a different subject, but I always surmised more women wear thigh highs now than even 10 years ago. I am basing that assumption on the fact you know see more thigh highs in the hosiery departments from retailers and I am talking everyone from Macy's to Target.