Proper way to wear a garter belt

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Proper way to wear a garter belt

Post by Davita »

Hey! Is it still called commando if you have the garterbelt, but no panties?!! I have a GG bud that goes commando now and then. I just think ...eeeeewwwww.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I agree, Davita. The 'commando' style has a certain ick factor and macho ring to it. Personal sanitation be damned. Or comfort? What would happen after a few glasses of wine and you laugh at a really funny story?
Whether panty hose or garters, clean, cotton, absorbent panties that I change each day, for this gal.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

When I referred to those time I "forgot" to wear panties it was in the privacy of my home and just a little twist to make my husband happy! I do agree with you about panties Eileen but I prefer nylon panties. I find them more comfy than cotton.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Danielle R.
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Danielle R. »

Yes Deidre you have been wearing them right panties over garter, otherwise the bathroom would be a nightmare I do wear them sometimes when I want to feel especially sexy But like silver lady said, a pair of panty hose is so much easier and comfortable to wear. That I find I get lazy and just wear pantie hose 90% of the time
I am what I am! a man in a dress
DanielleM
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by DanielleM »

Pantyhose, garters and stockings, thigh highs... everyone has a preference and all of them are right. I tried them all over the years, thigh highs are mine. They stay up, easy too put on and not in the way at potty time.

as to the original question... under the panties for normal wear. Over for modeling and commando nights <g>
Don't worry about what other people think, because they don't.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

one thing you have to watch out for is lining up the seams in the rear
If you have seams on your stockings don't hook them to the rear strap.
the rear strap is really on the side of your rear cheek. so the hook up site should
be about 2 inches to the side of the seam

By the way garter belt first then stocking then panties

Have fun
Janet
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

I don't generally wear garter belts, heck here in SoCal we rarely wear hosiery at all anymore. On those occasions I have worn garters and stockings outside of the bedroom I still go with panties over, easier when nature calls. I do agree with Janet about keeping seams straight but I always found that belts with 6 or even 8 garters do a much better job of holding stockings up and are more comfortable for extended wear.
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

Recently I have returned to the habit of wering stockings with a suspender belt ( that is what we call it in UK). I always wear my knckers over my belt for practical reasons especially to go to toilet. It is a lot easier to get my equipment out by pulling down the waistband of my knickers.
I know that most GGs also do it this way.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

You're right, Janice. The majority of women here do not wear garters any more. Despite the full color photos of sexy lady model ads, panties go on last. It's just common sense.
Now I wonder who is wearing garters more often, GG's or CD's? As far as I know, none of my women friends wear them.

Eileen
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I am glad I am on the same page as Eileen and Janice
I have always wore my panties in the right place and
over the years I have moved on to pantyhose..
Control top keeps them form sliding down
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

At a certain weight, all pantyhose are 'control top', Janet. :(

Eileen
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

The regular pantyhose curls up and slides down because my legs are so long.
With the control top they fit snug and don't slide down.
Sorry this has turned into a pantyhose blog.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Eileen (SO) wrote:You're right, Janice. The majority of women here do not wear garters any more. Despite the full color photos of sexy lady model ads, panties go on last. It's just common sense.
Now I wonder who is wearing garters more often, GG's or CD's? As far as I know, none of my women friends wear them.

Eileen
A couple of months ago my one neighbor who's is very accepting of Trudy found out I play bridge and the next thing I realized I was a semi-regular with the Thursday afternoon bridge club. There are 10 of us so we can almost alwaya get two tables together without being obligated to be there every week. As we are all at about the same age, I recently turned 65, they treat it like an old fashioned get together which means dresses, heels, and of course hose. While the cards are fun it is the conversation I enjoy the most. It ranges from politics to religion to community matters to fashions and yes even men and sex! Yes they all see me as "just one of the girls". Anyway I digress. The one regular Janet is pushing 70 and widowed yet you never see her in town alone. She is always on the arm of a handsome and many times younger gentleman. One of the other women asked her secret for always finding a gentleman anytime she desires one. She just smiled and hiked up her hem to reveal a stocking top and garter tab. She said she "just flashes them some thigh."

That led to a discussion of stockings versus pantyhose and I found that 3 of them preferred stockings to pantyhose and another thigh highs. Eileen if you use this small sample you can interpolate that 30% of women, well at least us old ladies :lol: wear gartrs and 10% of them wear thigh highs!

I know this is not true but I do know that at the local upscale lingerie shop which also prominently displays shapers and girdles has a large selection of garter belts and stockings. Sure there are the flimsy sexy ones for bedroom wear but they also have several regular day garter belts including 6 and 8 strap styles. This store has been there for over 50 years so I doubt they would carry such items and display them prominently if they wasn't a demand for them.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Trudy
Do you dress as Trudy when you play cards with the girls?
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Janet I have been living 24/7 as Trudy for the past several years. Yes I dress as one or the girls when we play bridge as I do everyday now. Yes I dress to the nines for the bridge club as all the other women do. If you act like a lady people will see you as one and treat you accordingly.