blending

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

I've seen my "sisters" out there a number of times. It is not any one thing that draws my attention, and I don't think it's ever been height.

The most obvious one was also the best-looking presentation. She wasn't exactly overdressed, but it was all flawless, and I think she did have on heels. She and I happened to go into the same store, and no one was startled or double-taking. The security guard watched her exit, but that could have been because she looked good.

I've written before that I ran into a CD in a grocery store, and I think she was so nervous that she didn't even read me. She had on a flashy silver blouse, and her wig was too telling.
Caith
Software Administrator

Post by Caith »

There was a humorous question told to me many, many years ago, regarding all the different ladies attending a TV/CD meeting.

Q: How can you spot the transsexuals at a meeting?

A: They're the ones wearing casual jeans, sneakers, and less makeup.

The truth of the matter is, it's important to not try too darned hard. Do your best, but definitely don't overdo it. Sometimes we look a lot more realistic with just a tiny bit of eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. Be yourself, be comfortable, and don't worry about it, just enjoy it.
Caith <oooo>
Vivian
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Vivian »

It would be so nice to have a soft feminine face and thin body you can pass off as feminine.

Hugs Vivian
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Thin body??? I'm happy to pass with my not so thin body. :)

Women come in every size and shape -- thank goodness. That means I have a size and shape that should pass.
{squeezes}
Davita
Susan
Permanently Banned

Post by Susan »

OK so I am skinny, blame my ancestors

in other departments I am challenged - big head big nose.

Next time around I am coming back as a girl, its easier.
Susan

I know some things.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

You probably know all this stuff, but just for the record...Women are thin where men are not and vice versa. Like men have characteristically wide shoulders and narrow hips; women narrow shoulders and wide hips. Men's torsos are longer than women's relatively speaking and their legs shorter also relatively speaking. We all focus on the chest area, which produdes in women but not in men. The waist, on the other hand classically narrows in women but not in men. There's tricks and things to do with padding in the right place and corsetry and that can alter a male body. And then there's disguise, like floaty tops.

Then there's the arms and legs, where thinner does tend to get equated with more feminine which is equated with less attractive. But I'm not sure less attractive = less convincingly passable. Muscular vs not is a dead giveaway in arrm and legs though. Still there are way more women who aren't particularly thin just because, IMHO, thinness is a bit of a social ideal that women are pushed into, for example by the fashion business. There is a school of thought that says that all the gay men in that are subconsciously producing an ideal of "woman" that tends towards the boyish (tallish, with flattened boobs and hips).

Finally a lot of (e.g.) female impersonation seem to rely on misdirection. Like drawing the eye to the particularly female bits (which may be artificially created) and away from (possibly disguised) masculine bits in order create a relatively convincing female appearance.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Paula G
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Paula G »

Rejoice in what you have deal with the rest, trouble is with make up I want to cover up the beard, I would love to wear less, but think that the old blue chin, is not a good look for a lady
Paula

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't mean it's not true
Vivian
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Vivian »

Well said Anthony, I just summed all that up with the word "thin". I didn't mean to hurt any gals feelings with my generalization.

Hugs Vivian
Wendae
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Wendae »

I remember reading somewhere. I believe it was an illusionist that said "People see what they expect to see."
I believe I was a lesbian in my past life
Vivian
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Vivian »

Davita, Your way thinner than I am :)

Hugs Vivian