When is a slip needed?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Brenda
Miss Silver Goddess

When is a slip needed?

Post by Brenda »

I'm wearing a dress, nothing fancy, that faintly shows my underwear. at least when I'm wearing a white bra and panties. Should I be wearing a slip for casual use? It's not all that unusual to see nice blouses that are a little sheer, and the effect can be charming, but is that true with a dress as well?

Brenda
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: When is a slip needed?

Post by Davita »

I've waited and waited but no one wants to touch your slip.

The answer is, a slip is always appropriate. As for the showing of your panties? Why would you want to do that in public?
{squeezes}
Davita
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Thank you, Davita . . . I don't know why I didn't see Brenda's post!! :oops:

True, a slip is always appropriate. While I don't personally like to wear them unless absolutely necessary, I'm more apt to wear a satin cami and/or tap-pants instead of full or half slips as I find them infinitely more comfortable . . . and they're not as 'hot' to wear in warmer temperatures.

There is another (older) topic on this subject, found here: http://crossdressers-haven.com/forums/v ... =41&t=6387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that may also be of assistance to Brenda.

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Wear at least a half slip if your panties can be seen or if you can see sunshine through all the material (leaving your legs and bottom outlined by the sun).
DonnaT
Paula G
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Paula G »

As a general principle I wear a slip when a dress is not lined, if you think you undies show a little, then in a different light or from a different angle to some one else you may look half naked :oops: I know ~ I was that girl
Paula

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't mean it's not true
Liz S (SO)
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Liz S (SO) »

I agree with the other ladies. I wear at least a half-slip if my panties can be seen at all. I don't want to feel naked. lol
I usually just go with the half slip, i guess I'm more comfortable with a bra showing a little than panties showing a little for some reason...even though they both cover the important parts well enough. I'd never really thought about it before.

If you do not like wearing a slip, you could also sometimes get by with a camisole and boy short panties. There's more coverage than typical panties, but still, if the dress is pretty see-through, i'd probably go with the slip!
Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.  ~ Robert Heinlein
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I guess I may be old fashioned here but I am of the belief that when in doubt wear a slip! I remember my mother drumming that concept into my sisters way back when and it got through to me as well. With a skrt I wear a half slip but genrally under a dress I wear a full slip.
Susan Fortier
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Susan Fortier »

I always wear a half-slip, just another layer of silky/lacy finery on me...That and I'm just an old-fashioned girl, I guess...:)

Hugs, Suzie
Kim D.
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kim D. »

I almost always wear a slip with a skirt or a dress. Usually its a half slip beacuse lately I have been going with my larger breastforms and I find a full slip just doesn't work well for us busty gurls. About the only time I don't wear a slip is when I am wearing a denim skirt, somehow the casualness of that type of garment and a slp don't go together in my mind.
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

I think what surprises me is how casual so many of the younger generation is about the need for a slip. I was at the drugstore the other day and the woman ahead of me in line had on a knee length yellow skirt and you could see right through it! I know I would never do that. If in doubt I wear a slip but it is not a necessity to me.
ChrissyE

Post by ChrissyE »

IMHO a slip is necessary with an unlined skirt or dress to stop see-through and also to stop the skirt rucking up on your skin. The slip will protect your outer garment from perspiration etc, especially also if your dress is dry-clean only
Kittie
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kittie »

Brenda wrote:I'm wearing a dress, nothing fancy, that faintly shows my underwear. at least when I'm wearing a white bra and panties. Should I be wearing a slip for casual use? It's not all that unusual to see nice blouses that are a little sheer, and the effect can be charming, but is that true with a dress as well?

Brenda
I always understood a slip is worn to support a dress/ Am I right
Letitia_Jolie_GG
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Letitia_Jolie_GG »

Another option may be to find panties in a color that matches the dress, thus rendering them invisible; but it does depend on the dress though. I have a turquoise dress that's a bit see-through and I can only wear it with green or turquoise panties.
Gender is not something that one is, it is something one does, an act… a "doing" rather than a "being". (Judith Butler)
Sarah Ann
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Ann »

Like several others posting here, I was raised to wear a slip under a dress, and consider it simple decency. I'm wearing one as i write this. Pre 1970's home ec books on clothing (I have some that I keep for sewing references) note that the slip also "adds an extra layer of smoothness" between dress and foundations and serves to protect the dress from perspiration to some degree.

The current "younger generation" seems to lack decorum in what they wear as underwear, and in the tropical climes I enjoy, bralessness is often rampant, forget slips. The coeds at FSU are particularly notorious these days for going to class attired more for the beach than for a lecture hall. Unfortunately, I'm too mature to get away with it ..OO.. ..rofl..
I'm a girl with minor additions ^^_||
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Letitia_Jolie_GG wrote:Another option may be to find panties in a color that matches the dress, thus rendering them invisible; but it does depend on the dress though. I have a turquoise dress that's a bit see-through and I can only wear it with green or turquoise panties.
Actually, if you want it to be 'invisible' (or more correctly, less visible) then you would wear a panty or bra that is closer in color to your natural skin-tone (nude, beige, tan) . . . anything with a color (even white) will become 'visible' because it is darker (or has more contrast) than the natural color of your skin. :shock:

Experiment: Try wearing a white bra with a white t-shirt or blouse; next try wearing a nude, beige or tan bra under that same white t-shirt or blouse. Which one is less visible? The same thing goes with panties and slacks (or skirts, dresses). :yes:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------