When is a slip needed?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

Re: When is a slip needed?

Post by Eileen (SO) »

There is another reason to wear a slip. Some fabrics will cling and not hang nicely. Hence the name 'slip'. I remember a spray on product that prevented static cling, is that still sold anywhere? A slip seems easier that lugging an aerosol can in your purse.

I have to share an amusing story though. My hubby was getting ready for a pre-Holiday Girls Night Out. Wishing to be a bit more formal, she wore an ankle length black skirt. Very nice! Neither of us wears a slip except on rare occasions. This was one of the occasions. Worried that the slip was hanging straight under the skirt, I suggested putting the skirt on first, then pulling on the slip under a hiked up skirt. After a puzzled thought, she decided that more sense.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Yeppers Eileen, the spray is still around or at least the one I used. See http://www.target.com/p/static-guard-an ... A-13294243. Even with a slip, I've had to use the spray. A real cold dry day will just need that sprtiz up the skirt to get everything to loosen up and settle in their place.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

A spritz up the skirt, Davita? Do tell! :)

Eileen
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

A slip is needed ... when it is needed. O:) I can tell you down south...a slip is hot especially in the warmer parts of the year...which happens to be when women tend to start opting more for various dresses because they can be cooler. But just as often they wear shorts and a top with flip flops, sandals or tennis shoes. Seems like the dresses I have are indeed of rather thin material but are not see through, also the dresses are of materials which are rather slick already...kind of satiny or a satiny knit material which hangs nicely all on their own. Some are kind of like nylon in consistency. In a humid environment on the coast static is not a huge problem, but in the midst of a cold winter it can occur.

I can imagine in the cooler latitudes heavier woolen, or woven fabrics many of which are lined already are worn especially because it tends to be cooler or springlike much more than it is warm. Slips are an extra layer and add warmth, help the dress or skirt hang nicely, and guard against see through issues.

I have a long slip I bought but it is now too big, and frumpy. I need a V neck or one with straps. I do have some silky camisoles and a pretty half slip which I have put on with a skirt but. But I agree just the half slip and is cooler when needed under a skirt in the south...
Go with the flow
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote: I suggested putting the skirt on first, then pulling on the slip under a hiked up skirt. After a puzzled thought, she decided that more sense.

Eileen
Isn't that the way everyone puts on a half slip? I never even thought of pulling on a slip then my skirt.

Yes Anne slips can be warm to wear but I have never thought to myself if I wear a slip I will be warmer. If I feel that it is too cold to wear a skirt I wear slacks. If I want an extra layer of warmth I wear tights under the slacks.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

This is getting long... my 2Cents
1.When you are wearing stockings and the skirt seems to stick to the stockings.
2. When your skirt is not lined.
3. When your skirt is thin material and you don't want to show underneath when the light is behind you.
4 When wearing a light dress in the winter and need a bit more warmth.
5. When underdressing and not wearing panties a half slip is a great substitute for panties.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Keep in mind Diana, that for those of us that have worn skirts for decades, a slip is not a mystery.
Common sense is not always second nature to the fledgling woman.
Us GG's can have our fun while still being supportive.

Eileen
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Thumbs up.
Go with the flow
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Love slips and petticoats with skirts and dresses!

Oh yeah!
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

At the risk of making this long thread even longer, I wanted to share this perspective on the subject even though I think most of the points have been covered. http://www.jadeisabelle.com/2012/06/03/ ... ar-a-slip/. Courtesy of beauty blogger Jade
Katie Anne

Post by Katie Anne »

I wear skirts and dresses pretty much all my waking hours. A slip keeps my skirt from "clocking" my hose. Therefore, I wear a slip most of my waking hours. Like other girls who have opined, I generally wear a full slip with a dress and and a half slip with a skirt. I also have some facsimile petticoats designed for "period " costumes that I love wearing under my ankle length skirts, both denim and gypsy skirts. To not wear a slip under a skirt to me, is like not wearing panties.
Cheers, Katie Anne
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Has anyone tried wearing a halfslip under pants instead of underwear?.. Try it.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I wear a split slip / culottes during the winter under my dress slacks. They add warmth and make my slacks move better and more comfortable especially since I commute an hour. I have I have three lengths: ankle, knee, thigh. Wear the knee length the most in the winter. Thigh length works better in spring and fall and sometimes in summer.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.