When is a slip needed?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Wendae
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: When is a slip needed?

Post by Wendae »

When ever I have on a dress or skirt I'll have on a half slip or full slip because I love the feeling. <>
I believe I was a lesbian in my past life
Kittie
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kittie »

Paula is right you wear a slip to support an unlined dress
Vera
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Vera »

If I wear a dress I wear a slip, 1/2 slip with skirts. I never will change this even if dress is lined.
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

I'm sorry but I was raised as an old fashion girl as my mother always made me wear a slip, half or long depending on the attire.

Remember what I have said a hundred times on the forum, after my mother gave in I was told if I was going to do this I will be a proper young lady at all times.

Something's you never forget and that's why to this day I always try to dress as a proper lady when going out and about.
Wendae
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Wendae »

I agree with Vera and Carol Ann! <>
I believe I was a lesbian in my past life
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I think the better question is when should one not where a slip?

I personally always wear a slip. But agree with some skirts are already lined, so a slip with that would be optional.

I use to have an office where the sun would shine bright down the hall for a little while for a few days during the year. Glancing down the hall I could see every gal that needed a slip. A co-worker once seen me shaking my head and asked why. I asked her if gals these days even knew what a slip was and what it was for. She asked why, So I had her sit in my chair and glance down the hall. She was like OHHHHHH. Next time she wore a skirt she mentioned she was wearing a slip. Guess I converted one gal.

Kimberlys - cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

A slip I needed if your panties show through! In the old days we just automatically wore one because it was needed for modesty and to make a garment hang better. Today most of my skirts and dresses are lined so I generally don't wear them however I do know when and where to wear one.
Vera wrote:If I wear a dress I wear a slip, 1/2 slip with skirts.
Can't remember the last time I wore a full slip though I do have a couple in the bottom of my slip drawer. If I need a slip under a dress I just pull on a half slip, more comfortable and a lot cooler. To me the only reason to wear a full slip these days is if the top of one's dress is so sheer that you need to hide your bra! Haven't seen ay dresses like that though since the 80's.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Using common sense I remember watching a story of Diana Spencer and she got in trouble with the Queen Mother because a photo was in the news of her standing in a white dress in the elementary school yard with her legs apart and the shadow of her legs could be seen because she was not wearing a slip! I believe if a dress is not lined or if there is a chance that the sun can shine through your skirts, or if the fabric is so thin that your lingerie and sometimes even their color can be clearly seen then a camisole, or a slip should be worn. In warm weather slips retain body heat but most summer dresses are thick enough not to require a slip. In the winter a slip and pantie hose help to keep you warm along with a sweater and or a jacket.
Go with the flow
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

Well being a slip lover, I wear them whenever appropriate for my outfit. They are so beautiful and give you that feminine feeling even though I am probably outdated in this view. Still, there's a reason for a slip. You all might enjoy my recent article on the subject in TG Forum http://www.tgforum.com/wordpress/index. ... lips-gone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hugs...Tasi
Tasi
Be all you can be
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

I love to wear a slip when I am wearing a dress or full length or mid length skit.

I really feel like a complete woman!
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Janine O
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janine O »

I always wear a slip or half slip when a dress or skirt is unlined. I love the feeling of a satin slip rubbing against my nylon stockings when I walk. it really adds to the feminine experience.
Debbie
E-mail address not valid - Contact Admin

Post by Debbie »

Slips are great when wearing a blouse and skirt or even trousers. Sometimes they show under a dress depending how tight it is
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

Slips do make summer dresses more opaque, but . . .

one of my fondest visual memories was of Yoshi coming down the stairs outside the music room at L.A. High with the sun behind her and her whole body outlined in light.

The one vision changed my entire aesthetic of beauty.
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

I love wearing slips or half slips.

With dresses, full length skirts and half length skirts.
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

When is a slip needed? Dear God I can remember a time when I would have answered always! :lol: Back in my early days of dressing I wouldn't think of putting on a dress without a full slip under it or a skirt without a half slip. Then lined skirts and dresses came in and even then I continued to wear slips but as time passed I started going without them and found how much comfortable it was without one. I still wear a slip when the situation calls for it however they are becoming rarer in my wardrobe. Still they are IMHO one of the most feminine of undergarments.

To answer the initial question a slip is needed if there is the possibility of one's panties being visible or if a skirt is thin enough that the silhouette of one's legs visible through your skirt if backlit. For those of you who love slips and wear one regardless, enjoy! *-*