Is this an OK look?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Is this an OK look?

Post by Karen Ski »

I just got home from lunch with a gurlfriend. It was a nice outdoor café over in Santa Monica frequented by a lot of professionals. What took me and my gurlfriend was a woman we saw there. She had on a nice black and white print sleeveless dress with sheer black hose and white high heel strappy sandals! I always thought when you wore black hose you should wear black shoes or black and white spectators. Am I way off base with this?
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Is this an OK look?

Post by Davita »

You tell me. How did you like the look? I would have to see her, but I bet it was kind of intriguing. Sounds like she was well put together.
{squeezes}
Davita
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

I'm still not sure how I felt about the look. It was definitely thought out and well put together just looked odd
Karin
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Karin »

I like odd. <>
*^^* Karin *^^*

Image"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible" Image
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

It feels like it's not solidly grounded without something dark - black or brown - in the shoes.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

I have always only worn black shoes with black hose whether it is sheer or tights so it would probably look strange to me as well Karen. Still the fashion rules today are there are no rules!
TammyT
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by TammyT »

The way I'm picturing it, the black and white spectators (I just learned a new fashion term! :)) would have been a much better choice, or solid black shoes would have been a safe fallback. Sandals with hose has always looked a bit strange to me. I can agree with Anthony saying that it just needs a more grounding colour, but I probably wouldn't even wear sandals with hosiery.

I'm not one for outrageous fashions or making bold statements, but I can totally see myself wearing black hosiery with non-black flats. If I could get the balance right without my shoes being conspicuous, I would wear a pink and black ensemble with pink flats.

This picture is a nice example of it being done well: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IZJ-J7PejU0/T ... 0/15.1.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very happy being a guy, but I also love fashion. We are all valued, and my feminine side is just one facet of the gem as a whole.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

When I used to wear heels, I wore black hose and white heels. Didn't see anything wrong with it.

But not opaque black hose.

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2 ... tights-wh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonnaT
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Without a photo, it's hard to judge. Obviously, the entire outfit is either white or black. I'll bet it looked good, regardless of some silly rule.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Where's the edit button? I meant to say that the outfit is either white or black, depending on where you're looking. I'll bet she looked very nice.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!