White after labor Day

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

White after labor Day

Post by Trudy »

I remember the old adage that a lady never wore white before Memorial Day or after labor Day. Well I do generally put the white shoes away when the weather stars to turn but what about other items? I have a white full maxi skirt I love and generally pair it with a pastel pink short sleeve sweater and wear a wide white stretch belt to give myself the appearance of a waist and hips. I was thinking of wearing it Saturday to have lunch with my sister and her daughter, it will be my niece's first time seeing "Aunt Trudy". Is this outfit OK or should I look for something more fall?
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: White after labor Day

Post by Paulette »

I suspect that this is now more of a class issue than an issue of propriety. If Old School is your thing, go for it. If not, wear what you wish when you wish. I suspect no one will notice . . . unless you show up at church in white cut-offs, white flip-flops, and a white tank top with no bra. That would be tacky.
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Wear what you want when you want. Old adages are old.
DonnaT
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Funny, yesterday I thinking about the same thing as I love my white heels and purse.

Thanks for the tip ``5
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Well the consensus is my white Maxi Skirt is OK so I am going to go with it and the pastel pink sweater. Will let all of you know how it goes
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Sorry to reply so late. The old sayings of bygone days, when farmers planted by the moon cycles, we celebrate a change in the seasons. Wearing white was for high tea and mint juleps. The Fall season, we can wear the browns, golds, orange shades that is rarely worn in Summer.
Wear what you feels right, dear. Even a Bride wears white in December.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

Last night, for New Years Eve dinner, I wore a long white gathered skirt with a black tunic top, black pumps with a 2" heel, and silver jewelry. I thought it looked nice.

It was a little risky, because I was cooking, But I wore my red christmas apron over it, and everything turned out all right.

I made a shrimp gratin. It was really good! :yes: ^@^
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.