Powder

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Powder

Post by Anne Bonny »

Women have powder in their supply of beauty items. I know the scent lasts (my wife's sitter has been dowsing things with scented powder but for a reason) but I wonder is it to reduce moisture and friction like under the breasts and arms...is this kind of an old fashioned item that today is rarely used? Perhaps it is a relic of my mother's era, yet my wife had or still has some and I remember seeing her use it one time not that I stood there observing her pat it on with the puff! Seems I think something that is used when a woman is really dressing up in slip and dress so I know it is on the more feminine end of the spectrum. I remember buying her L'air du temps and her specifically requesting the powder too now that I think of it, that is kind of a rare or more expensive scent now or was a few years back when I was looking for it for Christmas (for her not myself) yes, I love my wife though our relationship has been drastically and permanently altered by her decline It is now a patient caregiver relationship with a few embraces and occasional hug or a brief kiss or face to face to tell her who I am and that I love her...she says "thank you" I tell her she does not have to thank me that I love her anyway but this is where she is at. I tell her about our sons, who she is, what she did in an attempt to maintain that but I really do not know how much is there anymore. Purchasing a plot is on my list of undone things that I will have to do but there is still time.
Go with the flow
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Re: Powder

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Anne -

Your post is confusing . . . are you inquiring about using powder, or telling us about your relationship and current status of your wife??? :? :?

Regarding the use of powder, personally I absolutely abhor it . . . it gets over everything and creates a mess. It is an old-fashioned 'feminine / beauty product' that is no longer needed as such, and I think it is currently better used for infants or the infirmed to reduce rashes caused by excessive moisture. Most able-bodied people do not need to use powder any more due to moisture-wicking fabrics and anti-perspirants.

:-k Constructive criticism: Please take this the right way; it is not a criticism of your role as a caregiver, which is to be commended (I've BTDT), nor the nuances of your family relationships (everyone has them). However, I have been noticing that no matter your post's topic (such as this one), you seem to be having problems staying 'on topic' because you are constantly mentioning the current health status of your wife and your relationship to her and your sons, buying a cemetery plot, etc., and those issues are contrary to your post's subject (the use of powder, in this case).

I am not a professional counselor, but it would appear that you are in desperate need of counseling to help you deal with this situation and/or a social outlet for some much-needed time away from the home for a physical and mental re-charging of the batteries, so to speak. All too often the caregiver forgets that they need to also take care of themselves. Again, I've BTDT and know that I was starting to fall into that trap until a friend helped me see what was happening, and I see that you are doing it also. :(

[-o< Good luck! [-o<

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I remember Mom having and using power growing up but have never used it myself.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Dear girlfriend,
SL I disagree with you as I use power and can do it with out makeing a mess.
If I use a liquid foundation and let it set then cover it with power to help dry it I get a wonderfull base to work with *-* .

Tell Virgina the dishes are still waiting for her rotf
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Old movies would show a woman using powder, applied with a big puff ball. Make up was different then, perfume was much more expensive, and anti-perspirant was not yet invented. Applying some scented talc kept a lady feeling fresh and clean. Much different than todays powder used with foundation to even out the complexion. I think my Greatgrandmother had one.

Anne, I'll add to what SL said. Take care of yourself mentally. The heavy burden of caregiver is easier when shared with others. There may be friends or neighbors that wish to help out, but don't know how and too timid to ask.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!