That sack-o-stuff

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

That sack-o-stuff

Post by Kelly »

The most confounding fashion accessory, to me, is the purse. :-k Pocketbook, clutch, bag, handbag.

Anecdotal observation suggests that women fall into two camps.

The 'this thing is a major pain' camp. I am always loosing it. It is always in the way. The straps are too long; not long enough; missing. Honey, put these items in your pocket so I can leave my purse in the car.

Then their is the 'this is the most awesome thing invented' camp. Everything I need is right there. It complements my outfit; look how my shoes match. It keeps my hands occupied so I don't look awkward. And isn't my purse the cutest thing. Doesn't Fill-in-the-blank design the most elegant purses. I just love the new purse smell.

I'm finding myself in the first camp having yet to feel any of the enthusiasm of the second. I always feel self conscious with a purse, no matter how I carry it. As I shop I am developing a sense of what I like and don't in just about every category. But as I wonder about the racks and racks and tables of purses, they all look the same to me - except for the color. None are cute. A few are down right ugly; but here, for me, ugly doesn't have an opposite.

So, I can understand the utility argument. A sleek dress just wouldn't be the same with stuffed pockets. But that is a weak justification for the fervor. Seems like something to dump money into that you'll never see again. I dunno, maybe that part of my girl wiring just didn't get fully connected.

OK, OK, Kelly! What is the question? Here's the question:

Why are purses such a big deal?
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: That sack-o-stuff

Post by Carol Ann »

*-* I love mine as change(coins) doesn't put a hole in my pants and for me the stuff I put into it would never fit in pants pockets rotf
Ginny Jones
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ginny Jones »

Kelly - like you I have noticed several camps on the handbag carrying front - there seems to be the fashion accessory group and the "Just a second I think I have a socket set on me" group!

I found handbags difficult to get used to initially, but gradually learned that you really do need several types for different occasions. If you are out dancing at a club - a clutch bag is far more useful than the other sort, whereas if out shopping or out for longer periods of time - you are going to need to take more stuff with you and hence will need something more substantial.

I actually fall into the liking handbags camp. A GG friend of mine showed me how to adjust the shoulder strap on a largish handbag and then said "try that while walking". I soon discovered that the bag sits nicely under your right arm and you automatically bring your elbow in to hold it in place - which gives you that characteristic female shape when walking. Yayy! *-*

People seem to have all kinds of rules about handbags - the classic one is that it must match your shoes! This appears to be a generational thing as the trend over the last few years (If Marie Claire is to be believed), is that it must complement your look, but NOT match your shoes!

SO much stuff to learn! So much shopping to do!

Hugs Ginny xxx
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Huuuummmm where to begin. yeppers, I love my purses as much as my shoes. Yes, you need different ones for different reasons just like shoes. When we talk about the "like camp," I break them into basically two camps -- the bucket and the organizer. Buckets be they big or small or huge and really should be called suit cases, they all have the one common theme, a middle with no way to do anything but drop and lose stuff in it and then maybe have a few side compartments for the critical stuff. Organizers don't tend to grow to the size of animal they were made from and they tend to have lots of places to put stuff separated from teh other stuff. The one purse usually, and specifically, called an organizer has a built in wallet function.

I'm an organizer girl. the smallest size i will get has to fit my hair brush; the largest cannot be as big as my head. I've been carrying a purse for years so I know what works for me. I don't need to carry water, a change of kid's clothes, last year's charge receipts or much else. I leave my spare shoes in the car so why carry a bog big enough for them? I carry enough makeup to rebuild my face if there is a need and honestly, that's most of my bag content many times.

Does my purse match my shoes or my shoes match my purse? yes and yes and no and no. Matching is to my outfit or specifically contrasting. Have you noticed when you are shopping for a purse, they tend to be over with the accessories? Yeah, they are and mine hopefully accessorize and enhance my outfit.
{squeezes}
Davita
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

The local TV station had a trivia question the other day: What is it that 2/3 of women say they never clean? You guessed it- the purse. I'm quite the opposite. I start with it completely empty, and only put in the bare minimum. Some purses get cluttered too fast, anyhow. When done with the day/evening out, it gets emptied out again. Not very girly of me, and I am not a neat freak otherwise, just don't like messes in certain aspects- like a purse.
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
Rader
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Rader »

Years ago, my wife likes to carry these big purses, she carried everything in that purse.
I would bet she could pull out a kitchen sink if you asked for it.
Later on, she became some what disabled, needing a walker to get around I was
now the designator purse carriers boy. That led to a much smaller purse as we did
not have to bring the kitchen sink around.
Much later, I carried her lipstick in my pocket and her ID in my wallet. The purse
stayed at home. My tool box full of iron weighed a lot less than her big purse. LOL
Rader
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

I'm in the second camp. I like my purse,and carry it a lot when I go out to do errands. I don't go out dressed, so it's a simple design, but it is a "woman's" purse. On work days I leave it in the car, but it leaves the house with me every day.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

From this GG's perspective, a purse is usually an encumbrance but it does have its uses . . . it has to be big enough for concealed carry when my outfit of choice doesn't permit me to wear my holster.

Am I kidding, or being very serious? :-k

I'll never tell. :whistle:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,
Well that being the case here, as you know we reinact those times long past,

And a woman never went any where with out her dagger , so is mine concealed so you dont know i have one, our pouch is a bit like a purse just belted around our waist, hidden from sight,

I have a side bag belted to my waist and carry a few things, not a lot lippy eye brow liner perfume a small mirror check book a money holder = small purse
maybe a small knife. not telling, a hanky pen small note book loose change . thats pretty much it,
normaly i have a shoulder come back pack bag though the other one is good,
...noeleena...
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Well, SL, even if a holster doesn't go with the outfit, you still have to carry another round.......

Kel.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

Per Silverlady, I wondered when I was a kid, why my Grandma's purse was so heavy. When I got older, I found out. The old bird was strapped!
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

There's always room for more magazines, and I prefer mine double stack, thank you very much! :wink:

- SL

"Happiness is a pile of warm brass!" - SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

April Rose wrote:I'm in the second camp. I like my purse,and carry it a lot when I go out to do errands. I don't go out dressed, so it's a simple design, but it is a "woman's" purse. On work days I leave it in the car, but it leaves the house with me every day.
Close to my own predilections, but not quite the same. I carried a brown leather "man's bag" for years, and I never dressed en femme in public. It handled all my papers, cards, notebooks, glasses and keys, plus "extras." I stopped using it after I had stuffed it with several thousand dollars in gold coin, and then left it on top of the car when I drove off to the coin shop. I did find it, intact and on the double yellow line three blocks from my house. But the experience scared me enough to stop using it.

It's been 25 years now, and think I might go back to it. It sure was convenient, and now I have this mobile phone that keeps butt-dialing people.

Were I to go out dressed I might take a purse, but only to occupy my hands.
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Having been raised by my moter with 3 older sisters I was exposed to purses and handbags early on in life. I learned quickly one has an everyday purse that is big enough for that proverbial socket set and still have room for your concealed carry Silver Lady! :lol: The problem is it is large, heavy and cumbersome! I swore went I went FT I would never have a purse like that. One should never say never as my everyday purse is large, heavy and awkward. I do change it at least twice a year, generally spring and fall, so it gets cleaned out and usually I ended up with several dollars of change and a couple of bucks found floating in it. For dates and evening occasions I do usually change to a smaller purse but that can be a pain remembering keys, wallet, phone, lipstick and the like.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I'm sure you all have seen men with overloaded wallets, wasn't there a Seinfield episode about that? Difference is that a large purse is carried, not sat on. It's easy to pack for every possible need or emergency given a large enough purse. Too small a purse can feel unprepared to battle the day's chores.
Everyday errands need a purse only big enough for the wallet, phone, and bare essentials. Meeting for lunch or dinner, a purse does not have to match the outfit, but it's better if it does and should not look worn. It also has to hold recent photos of the kids and grandkids, vacation, etc. And then there is the dinner date purse, assumed to be with a spouse or serious date. Sorry if this sounds sexist, but the man is intended to provide all protection and financial needs, a small clutch for make up is all that is necessary.

Personal protection, with a wink to SL, should always be considered. At the very least, some pepper spray!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!