What is up with not matching a bra with panties?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Alexia
Miss Sapphire Goddess

What is up with not matching a bra with panties?

Post by Alexia »

Not meaning to sound like Seinfeld, but I've noticed from amateur p0rn and such that many women appear to wear bra and panties independently.
Sometimes colours that clash completely, from different manufacturers.
Worse, I often have trouble finding panties that go with a bra, either because the manufacturer doesn't make them, or only supplies a single type of panties that I really don't like, while the bra is awesome and gorgeous and I must immediately buy it and own it and treasure and, of course, wear it.

Triumph is one of the worst culprits.
One bra, in black, has absolutely no corresponding kind of panties, even on their own website.
They have one in each of the other colours of that line, but not for the black one.
I accidentally ended up buying a grey one as it was indicated as black on the site where I bought them, forcing me to buy the corresponding bra as well, just so I didn't end up with yet another incomplete pair.
Most of their other bras have no corresponding panties at all.
They even have a separate line of panties, Sloggi, which is sometimes marketed as Triumph, which is only confusing the matter even further and which don't match the Triumph bras or anything else at all, so what is even the point?

What is UP with that? :huh:

Do women not care, or do they match the bra with their top and the panties with their pants, so independently of each other and are manufacturers therefore not caring about this? [-(
Or is it the other way around and are we the victim of those same manufacturers and should we march on their headquarters and demand an immediate change? -,,-

Am I being OCD about this and does no one care other than me, or do I make a valid point?

I am especially interested to hear from genetic women about this.

Discuss! :)
Eileen (SO)

Re: What is up with not matching a bra with panties?

Post by Eileen (SO) »

On another thread, my response was much that bra colors do not matter much. Now keep in mind Alexia, that I grew up in an age where bras were never a fashion statement, they didn't show through clothing. There were white, black, and some other colors for special occasion outfits like for a bridesmaid dress. 90% of my bras are basic white and have little lace.
While I understand that you would like to have things match, how cute! In real life, when a woman is in her undies, the last thing a man will think is "Oh my! Her bra and panties don't match. What have I gotten into now?"

Early on, training bras ( I never understood the term, training for what?) had butterflies or kittens on them. That lasted just a short time in my childhood, quickly outgrowing most adults before High School age. I'm sure that any guy I dated cared if my panties matched.
Just one old lady's opinion.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Alexia
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Alexia »

I have to admit that with a scantily dressed lady in front of me, my priorities would, umm, be elsewhere.

For some reason, I never thought of it in that way..
Your logic is flawless and inarguable.
Thank you kindly for taking the time to answer this question!

Okay, so now even I think I am weird. :lol:
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Eileen is so right. Myself, I always wanted that bra and panty set. I even grew up in the time period where you could get everything to match, bra, panties, slip, cami and even garter belt. Rhonda Shear sells matching colors of lingerie, but they are sold as separates.

Nowadays if you look at the color options for bras and panties, some of the cutest panties would make the most obvious showing bra. Most times, you're going to be making an effort to not have an obvious bra so you might get a color similarly colored to what it's under. Your panties depending on how short your skirt or dress might be trying to match you outerwear for that just in case peek but they won't get noticed. I still think a matching set would be fun knowing I have on under a dress, but reality is that set would be black, white or beige. Instead, enjoy the options there are ssssoooooo many.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Keep in mind that cute bra and panty sets are sold because they look nice and you buy. None of the models are my shape or size anyway (Thankfully).

Smaller, or average breasted women may want to wear bras that show through now days. I don't and care little if panties match, as long as they're clean. I'd be so embarrassed if someone 'got a peek' at my panties. Unless of course it was intentional :)

You're not weird, Alexia. Buy what gives you pleasure.

Eileen
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi ,

Some times I have brought sets of bra,s and knickers though most time they are just what ever is going to fit me don't care about the colours, well pink is what I get when I can other wise no matter ,

over the last few years I don't need to wear my bra.s and have not, im just fortunate in not needing them . doubt I,ll need to any way , maybe one day later on I may need to till then they are resting in the draw.

...noeleena...
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I match the bra and panties with the skirt and blouse..
white bra white shirt etc
Brenda Allen
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Brenda Allen »

I agree with both Eileen and Jane. It does not really matter what the color of the bra and panties are when they are underneath clothing and won't be seen. But, as Jane points out if one is taking time to coordinate a skirt and blouse to match, then matching the bra and panties can be a follow up step. The term "matching" for me means some kind of coordination of color/pattern between the bra and panties (and sometimes a slip and cami too).

As a side a side issue, I have watched my wife's bra selection evolve from basic white/beige/black to different colors and patterns with and without lace. Similarly, here panty selection is diverse. She generally will try some kind of matching/coordination of the bra and panties and often the outfit.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

I, like most GG's prefer to coordinate my undies with my outfit rather than worrying whether my panties and bra match. Sure there is something inherently sexy about a matching set but the fact my bra and panties don't match has never slowed down my BF :oops: .

As for bra color if in doubt I wear beige as it doesn't show through. I only have one white bra and I only got that because they had a BOGO event at Soma a while back and it was all they had in my size and the style I wanted.
Wendae
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Wendae »

!!!yes!!! <>
I believe I was a lesbian in my past life
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Rereading this post from the beginning, Alexia posed a good question. Are we being used by advertising to buy matching undies? Of course yes! In everyday life does it matter much? Not very.

I do not want to leave the impression that bras and panty matching is no concern at all. If a certain outfit requires a black bra, wearing white panties would just not feel right. Although nobody else would see, it's in your own mind that things are not matching well.

Little girls, (I used to be one) love cute panties and bras as a set. Mainly because boys can't wear them, it's what defines us as girls at the age when genders start to make us different.
Maybe I'm just too mature of age. Obsessing if my panties matched the bra is too much bother. My outfit, what people see, is what is more important.

Eileen
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

There was a time I wouldn't think of not matching my bra and panties. Back when I transitioned in 1980 the rage was not only matching your bra and panties but also your slip. I probably had 10 half slips all matching to my other undies. My how times have changed! :( Nowadays I generally coordinate my bra and panties with an eye to what I am wearing. The Warner's bras I prefer for the most part have matching panties so generally I match underneath. I do it for me not anyone else usually although there are times someone might get a peek. :oops:
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I'm on your side Alexia. Bras and panties should match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And if not exactly match, they should at least be coordinated together and preferably with the rest of the outfit. Like I might wear a blue lacy bra and panties of a different shade of blue, or maybe a red bra with black lace and black panties. But it would be unthinkable to wear a pink bra and beige panties. When I become Dictator of the Universe, there will be the death penalty for such behaviour!!

Seriously though, wearing uncoordinated bra and panty is much the same as wearing brown socks with black shoes. Not that I'm any sort of fashion expert, just a wannbe I guess.
Alexia
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Alexia »

I'm trying to keep in mind now that bra and panties should match what is worn over them, not necessarily each other.
But I just can't do it.
It seems as if, not just the colour needs to match, but also at least the manufacturer and preferably the model too, or at least be a similar style.
Even though I'd already bought panties that matched pretty closely, from another manufacturer.
Just knowing that they are not the same, somehow makes me cringe on some level.
I even bought yet more panties to match to two of my favourite bras.

I guess I am just a teeny, tiny bit OCD in that respect. :?
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I would never wear a black bra with a white shirt and white panties with a thin dark colored skirt.
one of the two would show through the clothes... Anyone disagree?