Bra wearing

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Bra wearing

Post by Janet Bern »

I recently started wearing a sports bra daily for the purpose of straightening my posture and keeping my head back, So I wear the bra so that it reminds me to stand up straight... and besides I like to wear it.
My question is how many days can you wear a bra without washing it.
It seems clean but I cant figure it would be any more than three.
Hope you don't mind me asking.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Bra wearing

Post by Diana Michelle »

How many days can you wear a bra before washing it? One! [-X

Even though a bra may appear clean there is the issue of perspiration, body oils, etc. Like any undergarment such as panties, jockey shorts, a T-shirt, a bra should be laundered after a day of wearing. Sweat and body oil will attack the material a bra is made from causing it to lose it elasticity so laundering after every wearing is essential if you expect it to last any amount of time. You wouldn't think to wear panties a second day, you shouldn't with a bra either. The proper way to wash a bra is by hand or if you insist using the gentle cycle on a washing machine. Personally I have always hand laundered my undergarments using Woolite.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Oops, I've been doing it wrong all these years! :wink:

There are bras that are for improving posture, but they look uncomfortable to wear.

Since women sweat much less than the average man, I wear mine a few day before washing. Of course, depending on the weather and what I've done those days. Sweat and body oil will affect the fabric, so does excessive washing.
All undies go in the same load, his and mine, hot water and regular cycle. Still, I get a couple years of use. I do line dry bras, dryer heat damages elastic.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi ,

Okay try this , well now lets see .how about not washing for two years at least ,try 3 years , i know they will last much longer by not washing .....got ya going have i ...He He .....thought so .

I,v not worn mine for over two years , because i could not wear them let alone put them on unless Jos or some one any one would help me so i gave up . as i had injured myself in a fall,

they are in the draw and most likely stay there. and i found i dont need them . so you could say im one of those fortunate ones who dont need them ,not having worn them for so long i find im better off with out them not bad for a 68 year old female .

Come on i gota have something going for myself .

...noeleena...
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I would say it depends. As has been mentioned sweat and body oils are a big issues. I would say then it would depend on what you are doing while you are wearing and how long you wear it. I have some that I wear to work in but I do construction type work so mine get washed after one day. I have other bras that I wear in the evenings just around the house and those don't need washed all the time.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Personally I wash my bra as well as panties after a day's wearing but that was the way I was raised. I would suppose you could wear a bra a second day without washing if you weren't sweaty and it wasn't stretched out. Years ago when I started buying Soma bras the saleslady told me for longest life hand wash your bra daily in a gentle soap like Woolite and line dry it. She did say that a washing machine with a gentle cycle was OK on occasion if your bra was particularly dirty or sweaty but never put it in the dryer.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

After wearing bras for a full week, I have found that if I wear it for the
full day, its time to wash them.. I feel a bit grungy on the second day.
Thanks for the suggestions girls.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Everyone is different, Janet. If I'm going to clean up the house or do yard work, yesterday's clothes are fine, except for panties. If I'm going out and meeting people, everything is freshly laundered.

How are the sport bras working for posture?

Eileen
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

believe it or not.. they are helping with my posture. When I realize that I
am wearing the bra (most of the time) it tells me to stand up straight.
I immediately throw my shoulders back, chin in and chest out. Seems
like it is a constant reminder to stand up straight..
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I'm sorry, Janet, really sorry that I may have given poor advice. The original question was how often a bra should be washed. It does depend on the typed of bra and what you do during the day. But you specifically mentioned posture bras. They have much more elastic bands that should not be washed in hot water or machine dryed to keep the support. Not like my construction grade, heavy duty bras.

Posture is important for both genders. When walking as a woman, imagine a rope around your waist, pulling you forward, pelvis first. Turn you wrists forward which brings elbows in.

Eileen
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Eileen
Thanks for the advice ... I heard the one about the open hands in front and it works
I am now working on the "rope on the Pelvis" hint
thanks
Janet
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

A bit off topic, but since you are interested in posture, check out this link.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kinda fun to play with for both genders.

Eileen
Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Wesley »

Most of what I am seeing these days leans toward washing bra's after2 wearings.

Ultimatly, it comes down to a question regarding the favoritism of any given bra compared to how much time you will invest in keeping it clean.

As for me, given that my favorite bra is a cotton bralet, followed by a couple of sport bras. I currently wear a set of nearly me silicon forms in size 5 (about a 38B). As such, weight and size of the form are not that much of a drag on the bra (if you will!).

I wash all bra's with clasps hooked, in a laundry bag, Warm wash. They are then hung up in the bathroom on hangers until dry. I have gotten good service out of the bras that I have. (wearing average of 5 times a week) about 2 years.

I did come home recently to find a well meaning family member had put the entire lingerie bag in the dryer on HIGH heat! AARGH!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

A laundry bag is helpful for delicates. But honestly Wesley, I can't imagine hanging bras on a hanger. Thrown over the curtain rod works just fine.

Eileen
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

I am a regular bra wearer and sometimes wear fo up to 15 hours per day. I usually log the dates and times I wear and I used to wear a bra for about 3 days before washing but now, (tell me aI am adirty bitch) I wear for about a total of 50 hours before washing. I usually hand wash and a slow air dry.