Buying a wig

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

SalmaX
Miss Silver Goddess

Buying a wig

Post by SalmaX »

Hi :)

since joining this site I now have am urge to buy a wig which I have never done before purly because I like my facial hair lol. However I really want to know how it will feel having long curly hair like a lady. I have found this, please tell me your thoughts.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-LONG-WOMEN ... nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eileen (SO)

Re: Buying a wig

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Dear SalmaX,

My husband sported a full beard and moustache till he got found out as a dresser. Since it had turned all gray and made him look older, the decision to shave was not traumatic. That and I would not allow a man's face while wearing a dress.
So lose the face hair.

Longer wigs are more costly, harder to care for, and look better on younger ladies. That's pretty much all I know about wigs.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

This is just one of many web pages explaining hair styles and face shape, http://www.wigs.com/look-learn/relating ... -hairstyle. Have fun
{squeezes}
Davita
AmandaD
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by AmandaD »

When I am in my femme state which is very often these days, I keep my facial hair trimmed, and honestly I hate it. But to each her own.
As for the wig, it looks like a costume wig, which might be fine if you're just testing the waters. Good daily wigs do cost a little more but are worth it.
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

You're not the only one looking at those kind of wigs. The price is unbeatable but as Amanda quite rightly said it does look somewhat like a cosplay wig. Which for my needs is fine I will never wear it out and it will most likely be disposable either when my natural hair grows out (if it ever does) or I decide on a haircut and get a natural hair wig for out and about. Heck for that kind of price I could get three or four different styles and colours just to play around with.

I get tired of blonde hair. I was out voted at the DMV. I said light brown but both my wife and the lady at the desk said almost in unison "strawberry blonde" so my license says hair colour: Blonde.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

£5 is really cheap for a wig. Probably you're going to be disappointed. If you go up a bit in price, say to £20 or £30, I've bought wigs which are kind of usable and wearable.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
SalmaX
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by SalmaX »

Ok so I got the wig and tbh for the price its really not too bad. Wore it for the first time and made me feel so sexy :)
AmandaD
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by AmandaD »

SalmaX wrote: Wore it for the first time and made me feel so sexy :)

That's the most important part! I got my first three wigs a few weeks ago, and I loved the feeling of the hair brushing down my back and my neck. The other night it was warm and I had the ceiling fan on and I rolled over while laying in bed and the hair fluttered around on my back... a very special moment for me to say the least.
Kitty
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kitty »

I have two 'wigs'.

But they're more than that.

They cost me £400 each. And they're amazing.

Both custom made to fit my head exactly. They look really real. Hairlines are brilliant, like the hair is growing from the scalp.

I can comb, part in any direction. Real human hair.

They were expensive but well worth it. They are called 'full caps' apparently. That's the jargon.

It's really important to me that the hair looks natural and it lies on my head like natural hair.
You get one life, live it the way you want - as long as you don't harm others
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

SalmaX,

Hi, when a crossdresser decides to move their look to adding a wig (unless you can grow your hair out, I can't as I am folic-ally challenged) the wig brings a new dimension to dressing. You may move onto makeup and such. Crossdressing is different for each of us. When I dress all out I must be in a wig and do my makeup to feel yummy as Lacey en femme. Mostly in drab I wear some clothing usually panties and pantyhose or tights just to keep my femme self at peace in my day to day life.

When I was totally hiding in the closet, young, married and a sorta goofy, crass, unkempt crossdresser I had a mustache on my face. From about age 17 to of about 30 it was a part of my persona. Dressing in various female clothes was ok but the stache always made me look to myself goofy. But again I was hiding my cding side and my stache looked MACHO! A real battle of my internal character was on for much of my younger life.

As I realized cding was NOT going away I began to be better at it in matching clothes and shoes etc and that meant DITCH THE STACHE! I recall taking my razor to it and it was weird at first as over 12-13 years of wearing one was NOW OVER! It took a day or two to get familiar to not seeing it stuck under my nose. ..^.. But I'm so glad its gone! I've now lived as long without it as I did with it. The thought of never growing one back came when I bought my first wig. The wig completed much of Lacey's look and I did not want to see a caterpillar under my nose again. I hate facial hair, I hate having to shave, but enjoy seeing the blade cut the stubble off my face. I will often let my beard grow an extra day or two if I plan on doing a top notch dressing session as the razor cuts better with a tad more growth. I HATE SEEING THIS GROWTH THOUGH UGH! :nuh_uh: but love the baby smooth finish it gives once done. My makeup goes on so well afterwards.

I agree with Eileen, if you are going to do a wig and especially if you are in an LTR with a supportive spouse or GF I bet they would rather see you clean shaven if you are going to put a frock or blouse & skirt, along with a with wig. Just my 2 cents, it's your life though so enjoy it as you feel. But you may like having no facial hair once it's gone. As I said my mustache was a big part of my early adult male life, but once gone GOOD RIDDANCE! Lacey loves my clean face as her palette. :coffee: :sigh:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Samantha
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Samantha »

Well Lacey, I believe we like the femme face too! You are very fashionable looking like like you embrace beauty in fashion and style!

Samantha <>
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

:blush: Thank you Samantha. Your latest personal pic in you avatar shows you as a very happy and cute gal. :yes:

I've had my ups and downs as a cd'er over the years. But I have found a changing and for me better mindset during the last 2-2.5 years. Clothing wise I've been building my wardrobe and trying to vary it up to suit casual, to semi-formal, to formal, to sexy even a bit tarty. I've been playing with makeup since I started buying some from oh about year 2000. But in recent months I've been watching lot of You Tube videos especially Wayne Goss tips/tutorials. This has taken me from being an average quality and ability make up applier to myself to much more proficient and understanding how to use makeup to fit my face and skin as well as a feminine style. There are many ways and things a person can do to use makeup for a stylish and for us cd'ers who do wear makeup en femme to make us appear more feminine.

I do give thanks to first being blessed with smoother skin as a mature male but honestly it's a lot because I've never been a heavy sun worshiper and that helps make my makeup base easier to get started.

Finding wigs that really SAY THAT'S ME! gets you off to a good start, learning to do make up as best as you can is another big thing. I still am a bit ham fisted with eyeliner mostly and I have had to learn what eye shadows work with my hooded eyes, but I'm really doing a lot of trial and error on that. Clothes, shoes, boots and accessories are an area where I have expanded my style and fashion. When I was younger it was more the sexy well err more slutty look. I still get a kick out of being well more of a tart and sex object, but I have found one can be sexy and stylish outside of being tarty and how hair and makeup can make even a 'casual girly look' be so cute and sexy.

Oh don't get me wrong I LOVE :love: ALL OF MY HIGH HEELS AND SHORT SKIRTS! They are lots of erotic fun. I just love seeing myself as Lacey now in a variety of fashion styles too. ***()*** :please:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Samantha
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Samantha »

Lacey, you've grown so much keeping though, a youthful mindset of yourself. Elegant or tart you still have the confident femme look. I believe it's the confidence, the passion you you express in your posts that all of us endear; I know I do. You defend, and quickly express the mindset of the CD'er. You have softness, playfulness when coloring your attitudes in your poses, and attire. Your a joy to read, and still deep enough to take some posts as serious and helpful. Just sayin girl, keep on keeping on you sexy tart chick.

Samantha <>
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

Samantha, thank you again for your kind words. : :mittens:

First, I just had to buy myself another wig, basically the same style of the newest, dirty blonde style and of my earlier brunette with auburn hi-lights style I have photos here of me wearing. Too my eyes and mind I have just lucked out in finding a style of wig that works for my face and my tastes as a cder 'girl'. So had to add another one of the same style but it's a light auburn with blonde hi-lights wig. I am so excited for it to arrive.

As I noted earlier for a cd'er finding a wig (if you can't grow your own hair out) that IS YOU! and so makes you feel feminine, pretty and so girly is one of the biggest hi-lights to being a crossdresser.

I guess in all my years, including many of confusion, anger and even hate for myself, learning to really embrace myself and becoming as feminine as I can feel when crossdressing is the best and healthiest way for me to deal with it.

Samantha and others who stop to read my words and thoughts, for me I have a growing confidence in myself as an inner confidence, but am still very timid about expressing Lacey and my femme cding side to the outside world. I am trying to take my inner confidence and bring it forward but it will be baby steps for me.

Building my feminine wardrobe and learning to really advance my makeup skills in recent months all n all with the lil narcissist :haha: Lacey has to the camera, has me taking so many photographs of her with my learned makeup techniques and new clothes and wigs. I just study them to try to instill my feelings about the desire to move my cding to being more out and about. We shall see when and where it goes. :coffee:

Social upbringing and personal hang ups are powerful personal forces for a person to fight through. My sound and logical mind says one thing, my fears say another. Ahhhumm!! :eeeek:

If I may plug a Youtuber, cd'er who blows my mind on her dressing videos, Heidi Phox. I have viewed many of her videos and love her way and style. I only wish she would not be afraid to talk in her cute and very feminine videos. I'd love to hear her words and thoughts as she posts video of her dressed. :sigh:
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Ladies, the topic is 'buying a wig'. Reign in the off topic discussions.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!