Buying a wig

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Buying a wig

Post by Emily »

Well... I've been thinking about buying a new wig. ^^_||

Thinking I might go red, or auburn this time. Found a great site to buy from, been doing a lot of browsing recently.
Samantha
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Samantha »

Yep, and I believe the wig is key essential to accomplishing your look. I've found one and have ordered another that is longer and more blonde. With my latest wig I've enjoyed styling with hairspray, and am going to include headband, barretts(?), and Ill include stylish hats. . It is understated the importance of a quality wig. Study your face; take pictures of your face(color, complexion, shape, etc.) and neck, this is important in finding your style of wig. Compare your results to a truthful model that's close to your results. If done right I believe this will bring the look of femme that is you, and this will build up your confidence in who you are. To me, a wig is everything that establishes that femme that is you.

Samantha <>
Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lacey Hadley »

Yep I agree a wig that suits you and your style is the most defining thing for a crossdresser. Makeup rounds out the femme face, clothes the body, shoes/boots and most notable heels the over all look. But the wig will take all of that if done well to suit who you are and make you truly look like a girl. And for cders who do fully dress even part time, that is what we all love and crave in all we enjoy doing and yes even put up with ourselves as cd'ers @@9@@
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Deanna
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Deanna »

I bought my first wig just after Halloween of this year, big mistake. Yes, I bought one of those costume wigs. I just thought I could make it look good but I was obviously mistaken. I did some research and bought a fairly affordable one online and I'm happy with it for the most part. I do plan on upgrading although I have set a budget for buying items and the wig is slowly making its way back to the top of the list. Thank you for the information in this thread!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

The costume wigs are just that, for costumes, not theater. You don't have to spend 100's of dollars, Deanna. My guy buys from Paula Young. On sale, his girl hair is less than $50 a piece. I'm sure there are other wig sites, go with those that are known for quality.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

the best way i have found to get a good wig that fits, looks good on me, and I like it to go into a store that sells wigs and try them on. I have done it twice and is such a better outcome.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Deanna
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Deanna »

Eileen,

I did throw my costume wig away and ordered one from a CD site. It was around $40 (in my picture) and I'm happy with it as it is well beyond costume and can be shampooed and styled, but would like to explore others now that I have an idea about them. I will definitely check out Paula Young. As far as trying them on in a store I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Deanna wrote: As far as trying them on in a store I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet!
We all have our own timing on when we can deal with things. When you are ready you will go to a store and try on 15 different wigs. And when you come out you will wonder what took you so long to do that. The wig you got on does look nice on you.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

My latest wig addition arrived a few weeks ago and I've been getting a lot of wear out of it! It's an auburn colour, so it's a little lighter than what I usually go with (which is dark brown and blacks) but it seems to work for me, IMO!

All of my wig purchases have been online, well maybe except the $9.99 costume wigs that I bought from Value Village years ago, LOL! :lol: Never again! But you got to start somewhere, right? However, I think it will definitely be worth the time and investment to go into a shop. I'm sure you can even go in there in drab and still find something that will help complete your fabulous fem look... Am I right?
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

Wig shopping is great - and I've always done it in drab. It really is so much harder to find a wig that works for you over the internet - not that I haven't got a few. But the fact is, until you try it on, it's all a bit of a shot in the dark.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

Ladies, just about everything you want to know about wigs is here and is one of my most read articles http://www.sisterhouse.net/boutique/201 ... #post-6353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tasi
Be all you can be