Jumpsuits

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Jumpsuits

Post by Heather W »

I have been helping my mother clean out her condo now that it is in the process of being sold and she is getting married and moving in with her new husband. In the back of her closet she had 2 jumpsuits form the 80's, one den I'm the other an aqua and white floral print. I thought they looked nice and she told me to take them. I got them home and yes theyt fit great.

My question is are jumpsuits in or out? I would love to wear them but don't want to look like a fashion geek.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Jumpsuits

Post by Davita »

If you look good, then they are in. If you look like me, they aren't so in. Jumpsuits have never completely went away and I just saw a couple in the fashion magazines.

Ummmm do we get to see you in them?
{squeezes}
Davita
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

I know that a lot of shops have jumpsuits for sale, so I would suspect that they are still in style. As long as they don't have the shoulder pads, then you should do ok.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

A quick search brought up loads of UK stores selling them - plus a Marie Claire page (which appears to be current) with loads of examples available to buy (I haven't put up a link because of the intrusive ads).

[Edit] Here's a google search of Kate Moss jumpsuit images:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jumps ... B6kQsAQIIg
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Lexi. these are pre the shoulder pad era and look pretty good even in today's terms. As far as the images of Kate Moss Anthiny, she would make a potato sack look fashionable! :lol:
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Heather W wrote:Lexi. these are pre the shoulder pad era and look pretty good even in today's terms.
Nice, Heather! :) Consider yourself a lucky girl for the fab find!
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

I seem to remember you dolling yourself up and doing a bar with some 5" heels and a new jumpsuit, Heather, and being not displeased with the results. ;)
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

Found a fashion post about jumpsuits... I think someone already said that shoulder pads are out but otherwise jumpsuits and rompers are still stylin!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have had a few jumpsuits over the years and love them for the most part. They are generally figure flattering and fun to wear. I will warn you though Heather they are not the most friendly garment in the powder room! :shock:
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Jumpsuits look good on slimmer gals, so I've never worn one. I've seen some with shoulder pads lately, worn by very mature women.

As Diane Michelle points out, you have to drop your laundry to go pee. That can't be fun.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

You're right, Eileen . . . 'dropping your laundry to pee' is not fun - nor easy, don't wait until the last minute to go because you might not make it in time (in other words, there is no 'whipping it out' while in a jumpsuit). #-o

Also, as most men have broader shoulders and chests than do women, their getting in and out of jumpsuits is not always easy, even if they are contortionists. :roll:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

Jumpsuit or not.... let's face it girls it's usually never easy to go. Just after I got dressed today... nature called and it is not an easy thing - pull up the long skirt and slip, pull down the pantyhose and panties, find the seat. How much harder could a jumpsuit be - realy?
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

During the winter, hubby wears insulated coveralls for outside work. I can't imagine getting out of one in a hurry.
Weren't jumpsuits popular when Charlie's Angels was on TV? I never was much a fan of that show anyway.
Alisa wrote: How much harder could a jumpsuit be - realy?
Well Alisa, A dress or blouse's sleeves won't hit the floor, Eww!

I'm making fun though. If I had the figure, a jumpsuit would be fun to wear. Not much more enticing than one long zipper hiding all the goodies. :)

Eileen
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

IDK Eileen... just does not seem like it would be that much more difficult than keeping your long dress for skirt for touching the yucky stuff and don't get me started about public restrooms - you know trying to us one of those silly seat liners or worse trying to hover above the bowel in heels. Anyway may be I'll have to try to find a jumpsuit - Macy's seems to be having a sale (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ny-c ... lotId%3D12)... giggle... one long zipper? You are soooo naughty Eileen!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Alisa wrote: You are soooo naughty Eileen!
Yes I am! I do notice that the models posted in this topic are about half my size.

Originally, Heather asked if jumpsuits are still fashionable. Seems like any style is fine now days, as long as it fits. 30 yo jumpsuits have a nice retro look to them.
OK, giant platform shoes, huge bell bottoms, and afro's on white folks, those are out. Bad fashions have a limited life.

Eileen