Purses

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

Purses

Post by Eileen (SO) »

So, last night my girlfriend was out a bit shoe shopping. She has a problem keeping her purse on her shoulder. She doesn't want to carry a purse like bowling bag, on the shoulder is safer and more lady like. Maybe more muscle mass on the clavicle as most men have, her purse is constantly falling off. I suggested carrying it on her forearm like the Queen Mother does.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Purses

Post by Martha G »

Yes I have that problem too.

I generally use hand purses or carry my purse on my forearm.

On my shoulder is very uncomfortable for me.
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

I assume your friend is trying to carry her purse on the shoulder directly above it. Why doesn't she carry it on the opposite shoulder with the strap slung across her body. That's what I always do. It is the most secure way and I see nothing unladylike in it.

Penny x
Penny
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Crossbody purses are very common with many women and it is a very secure and safe way to carry a purse. It makes it very difficult for a purse snatcher to just grab and run. Check them out at just about any store that sells purses and I think one would find a good selection of sizes and colors.

One of your GF's issues might be too much in her purse Eileen. My everyday purse is a shoulder strap style and under normal circumstances I have no issues with it staying on my shoulder. However I do find when it gets full or too heavy it has a tendency to slip off much more often. A simple cleaning out of all the stuff that seems to accumulate in a purse (change, receipts, the 6 lipsticks, 4 hair brushes, etc.) remedies that situation.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Thanks for the replies, but ladies, when I refer to my GF, I mean my husband when dressed. Keeping proper pronouns, I still struggle with. With respect, I try to refer to him as her when dressed.
Honestly, I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before on this forum or my husband's.

In High School, he was on the Gymnastic team and still has very nice shoulders. Sexy for a man, not so much for a woman. Those nice shoulders don't allow a purse strap to stay in place.
Last night was just a quick trip and very little was in the purse, wallet and glasses, that's it. So no weight issue. For daily trips, I use a small purse with a strap around my wrist. 'She' wanted to wear a shoulder strap purse, which ended up on her forearm anyway. She's not fond of cross body straps, having the strap across the boobies. I think she should carry her purse on the forearm.

Guess I just wanted to hear how the other ladies deal with purses.

Eileen
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

Purses, I have made a few for my clothes that are Edwardian so as I make the clothes I then need a purse to suit each outfit,

For my Renaissance I make a smaller size about 5 in,s wide and about 4 in,s deep that goes on the belts I make for the skirts most time they are not seen as they are hidden under my |German style garb- clothes ,

For my normal day or evening wear I have a shoulder come back pack bag in leather 2 of those slightly different , then I have our sprorran Scottish term for a front back so most times I wear that on it,s own belt in black and ether side two little bag,s in pink for a small camera and sun glass,s and my back pack bag has two in pink as well , the two details that sets me apart from others , plus I have N L. on most of my bags same for my camera bags then people know who they belong to,

The reason I like my sprorron is hands free so I can do photography as my camera bags are back pack bags or side bags with 4 camera,s and gear I need the bags,

people know me well enough now and know what I do,

Some may think im not very feminine in what I do. ya well maybe not cant help that im too busy doing to be bothered about it, I may not be so lady like in my life,

My interests dictate what I do and how I dress and carry bags , so there has to be a compromise some where and if some thing is left out so be it,

...Noeleena...
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

I've got that "dropsey shoulder" problem too; my purses all jump off my shoulder with no effort on my part to cause it. The simple cure has always been a cross body bag. Funny they call them that when all they have done was add a long enough strap to any purse so you can throw it over your head and have the purse lie on the other side of your body. I really do prefer the cross body as it does allow for free hands and it does add only a tiny bit of security from an unpracticed thief. In addition to cross body, almost every purse I have is an "organizer" purse. Basically they have a built in wallet; again, that frees up hands. I don't carry my house in my purse so I don't need to carry every credit card I own and hundreds of single dollar bills etc so an organizer usually has enough slots and space to hold the essentials. My rule of thumb for any purse is it has to be big enough to hold my hair brush but not so big as to hold (who said it?) a bowling ball. I don't think the tote-sized or luggage-sided purses are purses, but still just a fancy tote. I would put my purse in a tote not dump my purse into it.
{squeezes}
Davita
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Before last year, I had not really given much thought to carrying a purse. Now, I must have about six of them.

I had the purse slippage problem too... constantly having to pull the strap back on my shoulder.

I tried carrying it on my forearm and the cross-body bags, but by far my preferred method is carrying my purse on my shoulder... maybe its just a matter of practice? I find that less and less, I am having to pull the strap back up, and when I do, it is so quick, that I barely even notice... unless I am trying to take something out, and its beginning to slip off... that is annoying, LOL!

The other thing I also tried was adjusting the shoulder strap length, to find that perfect in between spot - not too high, not too low, but of course not all bags have an adjustable strap. I also find that softer straps sit more comfortably on the shoulder... Something to consider when out shopping for a new purse?
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

If your girlfriend doesn't want a crossbody bag and the shoulder strap keeps falling down then her alternative is either one she can slide up on her forearm or carry by the handle in her hand (the origin of the term ladies' handbag) or a clutch. I love clutch purses for dress but for shopping they can be a pain. Another potential issue with a clutch is if your girlfriend is not used to carrying a purse she may set it down and walk away without it. :shock: I was at Macy's last week and there are many purses with handles for carrying that would easily slide up her forearm. Perhaps she needs to go purse shopping. :)
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I like the larger purses, they allow you a place to slip a sweater in if it is cool in the morning and warmer later in the day. Granted they do tend to accumulate things and can get heavy but you just have to clean them out more often
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I recall in 6th-7th grade, us budding young girls started bringing purses to school. Except for a new found need for sanitary items, we weren't sure what else was essential to carry in school and how to carry a purse. Most just held the short strap at arms length, like a bowling bag, just not so heavy.

My small purse is on my wrist and tucked close to my body. GF has decided to shoulder carry and tuck a thumb under the strap to hold in place, or forearm carry tucked in close.

Sometime ago, a relative gave me her extra purses, some were brand new. I don't think we need to go purse shopping quite yet, between the two of us, we must have 20 purses. :yes:

Speaking of purses. Don't you all hate it when grocery shopping and the woman getting checked out stands there like zombie till the total is rung up. Then she puts her beach bag tote on the counter to get out her purse, opens the purse to get her wallet. She can't find the right credit card, back to the tote to find her glasses. Her card is denied, or she can't remember the PIN number. Back to the wallet to pay by cash. Arrgh!

Eileen
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote:
Speaking of purses. Don't you all hate it when grocery shopping and the woman getting checked out stands there like zombie till the total is rung up. Then she puts her beach bag tote on the counter to get out her purse, opens the purse to get her wallet. She can't find the right credit card, back to the tote to find her glasses. Her card is denied, or she can't remember the PIN number. Back to the wallet to pay by cash. Arrgh!

Eileen
So that was you giving me the eye at the grocery store! :lol:

I have a similar smaller purse to the one you are describing Eileen. It works perfect for a quick run to the store or something similar where you aren't worried about a lipstick, compact. hair brush, etc. Mine has a wrist strap, room for several credit cards, drivers license, registration, etc.. as well as having a place for my cell phone. Not sure it will ever replace a purse everyday but like every other style of purse it has a place in a woman's wardrobe.
Eileen (SO) wrote:
Sometime ago, a relative gave me her extra purses, some were brand new. I don't think we need to go purse shopping quite yet, between the two of us, we must have 20 purses. :yes:

Eileen
I have never really counted how many purses I have but if I were to venture a guess without actually looking I have a few more than the two of you. :^o OK, a lot more! :whistle:

Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Just like shoes, never too many purses! :yes:
Unlike a CD, I don't have the emotional need to dress femme every time out of the house. That I'm female is evident if I wore a flour sack, assuming there is one big enough. My fav purses are the simple small grey one mentioned, and two nicer ones, one brown, one black.

I did think that most guys as girls had shoulder strap problem due to physical differences between men and women. Turns out that most all you gal's preferred way to carry a purse is for convenience and security with less concern about femininity. The act of carrying a purse is feminine in the first place.

Now, this discussion has got me checking out other women and how they carry a purse. :haha:

Eileen
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Eileen (SO) wrote: Now, this discussion has got me checking out other women and how they carry a purse. :haha:
So have I!! :mrgreen:

What have you found, Eileen? I've found that there really doesn't seem to be any one type of preference.

While this study is in no way at all scientific, it was interesting to observe how women carry their purses... Cross-body, on the shoulder or on the forearm are the most popular methods.

The only method that I can absolutely say with 100% certainty that was not popular was hanging down, on the side (like a bowling ball bag). I might have observed that only once, maybe twice. On the forearm seems to be the best method for larger bags (or if she had other shopping bags). Cross-body while browsing or shopping - otherwise on the shoulder.

Hahaha... fun things to do while bored at the mall! :lol:
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Lexi wrote: What have you found, Eileen? I've found that there really doesn't seem to be any one type of preference.
Quite unofficial, at our local grocery, skinny, little, under fed, small breasted women, all wore purses cross body. (Ouch, meow :haha: )
Normal sized women (LOL) varied with age. Younger gals carried their purse at arms length, mature women either carried on the shoulder or forearm. The more mature tended toward the forearm carry.
The larger women plopped their beach bag sized luggage right into the shopping cart. They also tend to block the aisle which hinders my power shopping style. :nuh_uh:

Well, this turned out to be interesting. Does how one carry a purse depend more on body size and preference than gender? Even men that carry a 'murse' use same shoulder or the opposing one.

Just one tidbit though. When you all go shopping, go into your purse like you've seen the inside of one before. A man knows where to find things in his wallet, a woman should know where things are in her purse.

Eileen