Light or Dark

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Jill Mansfield
Miss Crystal Goddess

Light or Dark

Post by Jill Mansfield »

Hello let me start off by saying that I am tall and have a very toned body, but not bulging with muscles.
I want to buy a long tank sundress and am unsure if I should go with a lighter colored dress or a darker one.
I have heard that dark colors are more slimming, but really like the white dresses so much more.
My fear is paying a pretty high price and looking frumpy. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.......Jill
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: Light or Dark

Post by DonnaT »

Sundresses are typically worn during warm weather, thus a lighter color would seem to be the best option. Prints are great options for distracting the eye.

As to whether or not one would look frumpy, it's always best to dry the dress on first.

I don't think color has much to do with whether or not a dress is frumpy.
DonnaT
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Jill, are you buying in store or online?

Either way... you could always get both, keep the one you like and return the other.

If you really like the lighter coloured dress better... then go with that. There's nothing worse than paying good money for something and wishing that you hadn't. #-o

Absolutely agree with Donna... looking frumpy has more to do with fit and style rather than colour! ;)
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I agree with Donna and Emma, it has more to do with the cut than the color. The only way to know is to try it on. I've seen dresses that I really love on the rack, and when I try them on I look terrible. And there's been times when I've tried on a dress that an SA suggested for me that I never would have picked, and it looked awesome. So go try some on at a place that has SA's with good judgement, and take their advice. It's always hard to decide whether something looks good on yourself anyway, so you really need either a good shopping buddy or a shop with helpful SA's.