help getting dressed

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

help getting dressed

Post by Eileen (SO) »

This conversation came up again last night as hubby was getting all dolled up for an evening with girlfriends. Women could use a little help with dress zippers and necklace clasps from a partner. I suppose it didn't help much that I was laughing at her inability to manage a clasp wearing stick on nails nor could keep wig hair out of her dress zipper.
A reminder that when I ask for a little help, it's not because I can't do it, it's much easier with a little help.

How do closeted sisters manage? Getting a necklace off in a hurry must be traumatic! Do supportive wives help you?
A very long time ago I was single and barely remember any occasions that required fancy dress up. Friends weddings are about all, bridesmaids help each other out.
My guy seems to need help for the simplest things that women take as part of life.

Serious or lighthearted, all amusing comments welcomed!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Gina L.
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: help getting dressed

Post by Gina L. »

I think at this stage of her female career, she should girl up and learn to do these tasks herself, it just takes practice and more practice. :)
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Going along with Gina's reply, you have to figure it out... There are many ways to do manage clasps, zippers, etc.

But you reminded me of one of those "first" times which was part of the "CDing memories". This is along with the first time you think "Where is my purse" or answer the SA asking if you know "her" size - "no, it is for me".

I was visiting friends in Minneapolis, and I had this very cute dress which fit rather snugly... so back to the hotel, I had to ask one of the girls to "Zip me down". I had never have to say those words, it was an odd feeling. :)

Gaby
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Eileen (SO) wrote: My guy seems to need help for the simplest things that women take as part of life.

Eileen
You have been doing it all your life and on a day in and day out basis. Your "guy" is still learning. I would think you would be eager to help "him" with tips and tricks so he can become more comfortable as her.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I would been eager to help, Heather, but as I said, I was laughing at the time. I may be supportive, I also see the amusing part of her struggles. I long time ago she got stuck in a dress, much like Gaby's experience. She got the thing zipped up, but couldn't get the zipper back down without help from a bit of wire.

There is an intimate aspect for a wife to ask her husband for help, returning the favor seemed odd and cracked me up. I asked, "What the He** did you do before you fell out of the closet?" The story gets better though. By the end of the evening, she lost a nail just before leaving the meeting. Apparently if fell off into her panties during the last potty break and scratched you know where all the way home!

Some of these stories are just darn funny, and I can't share anywhere but here.

Eileen
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

A string run through the tab on the zipper is a big help, going up or down.

I use a magnetic catch for necklaces. Easy on easy off.
DonnaT
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I'll suppose that you don't leave the string attached all evening? LOL!
I've never used magnetic clasps, do they hold well? I see them in catalogs that also feature extension grabbers and corn removers. And is using them cheating at experiencing mundane womanhood?

Eileen
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

Eileen (SO) wrote:I'll suppose that you don't leave the string attached all evening? LOL!
I've never used magnetic clasps, do they hold well? I see them in catalogs that also feature extension grabbers and corn removers. And is using them cheating at experiencing mundane womanhood?

Eileen

Magnetic clasps work very well for necklaces and light to medium weight bracelets. My wife makes jewellery and uses them all the time. One caveat is buy them from a jewellery parts supplier. Joanne uses Fusion Beads and Fire Mountain Gems and Beads. Both sell good quality neodymium (rare earth) magnets.

I would stear clear of e-bay as they can be hit and miss with quality. Trust me a magnetic clasp is a God send for the woman wearing long nails, it sure beats fiddling with a lobster claw.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Yes, they hold well.

I had to use an extension to get the necklace to fit right anyway, so got them for ease of use.
DonnaT
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Some good responses ladies, that will be passed on. I thank you all. Normally, I have my hubby help out with zippers and clasps, part of the standard wedding vows. And he as she, I help out the same way. This past weekend, she wanted to experience the whole getting ready while femme, hair and nails included. Her struggles were entertaining, then funny as all get out. Welcome to the sisterhood, sweetie!

Many couples struggle with a cd husband, having a lighthearted exchange of experiences helps cope.

What about magnetic earrings? They don't look like they could work well at all. What about going through metal detectors at Court Houses or TSA? Does all you jewelry fall off?

Eileen
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

I consider myself supremely lucky in not only having a tolerant, but openly supportive wife.

Eileen, don't bother with magnetic earrings they hurt after a while. Any REM with enough power to hold an earring securely has enough power to really pinch you lobes. I used to wear magnetics but at the end of the day and I took them off my lobes were throbbing. After the advice of members I went to clip ons, at least they don't hurt as much.

As for mags at TSA or federal buildings I wore a simple pair of crystal magnetics through TSA at STL and IAD. They didn't set off any alarms or mess with the mag detectors at all. And no they didn't fall off. :)

*** Post edited to remove redundant quote, as per: http://crossdressers-haven.com/forums/v ... 65&t=10059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - SL
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

As I have said often, I don't get out much. When I do I avoid the unreachable zippers and worry about clasps before wigs and nails.

You want to see something funny. Heck, watching me trying to button a blouse when I have gotten rusty is a real hoot! :lol:

Kelly
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Pierced ears for both of us, Michelle Diane.

Kelly, I had to reread. I thought you wrote, 'when I have gotten busty'. Hubby struggles with women's correct way of blouse buttons compared to opposite side men's shirts. Following this wife's example, pull over blouses tend to better fit us bigger gals.

Normally, she does the wig last and rarely adds nails. That night, she wanted the 'actual female' experience.

Eileen
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

to answer the question about how we manage without help, one of my prerequisites for a dress is that I can operate the zipped myself. In that regard I really prefer dresses with the zipper on the side, but there are not many of them. So I always try on a dress before I buy it, and if I need help from the SA zipping and unzipping it, then it goes back on the rack.
After enough practice though, it's not so hard to do it. The other thing that helps is wine. Getting stuck in a dress with the zipper half up, and you can't get it down to change dresses, and you can't get it the rest of the way up so that you can go out, can cause a girl to panic. So then I relax with a glass of wine, and when I'm sufficiently calmed down can manage either to get it on or off. I've never done it with long nails though, I can see where that would really complicate matters.
I saw one time a little zipper gadget, that was basically a short stick with a hook on it. And I wish I would have gotten it because I've never seen one again.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Relaxing with a glass of wine helps get my dress off as well! :tipsy:
Older shoulder joints make back zippers harder to do, so hubby and I will do each other up.

Eileen