Another Slip post and poll. How do you wear one?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

How do you wear a slip?

What is a slip?
25%
Put on a slip, if it does not show or too short I am ok
11%
Who cares if it shows or not, I have a slip on
No votes
I coordinate my slip color with my outfit
11%
I coordinate my slip color and length with my outfit
21%
I coordinate my slip length with my outfit, color optional
11%
full slip optional with dress, half slip ok
14%
full slip or cami and half slip a must with a dress
7%

Total votes: 28
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Another Slip post and poll. How do you wear one?

Post by KimberlyS »

Oh no here is another slip post. The other morning I was looking for a long slip to go under a maxi dress. I try to coordinate my slip color and length with my skirt or dress. I try to have my slip just a few inches short of my skirt/dress hem. I also try to coordinate the color if possible, but most of my slips are black, white or nude. But I do have some purples, a pink and a blue slip. All of the full slips I have are not long enough for a maxi dress and they are hard to find. And when I do find one they want a lot of money for it.

I have even seen slips being sold as a skirt/dress extender. Basically a slip sticking out of the bottom of the skirt/dress either because it is too short or you want to see some lace. Not sure who came up with the fashion option.

How do you coordinate your slip if you wear one.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Another Slip post and poll. How do you wear one?

Post by Heather W »

I have a couple of half slips in the bottom of some drawer or at least I think I still do. Can't honestly remember the last time I wore one. The bulk of my dresses and skirts are lined or do not need a slip under. Not that the subject has ever come up in conversation I would guess most women today are the same as me.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

Well i normally slip into mine or should that be a petticoat i,ll wear a petticoat if i dont have linings in my dress.s or skirt,s and depending on the fabric if is a see through as some are, then it becomes a must, as to length most are long, colours are white or black and i dont wear them that often.

Now for Rock and Roll is different as i have yet to make a flare out under my dress,s though not sure if i will be able to dance with my no 2 dancing partner as she has health issue,s so is making dancing hard for her, we do have a dance coming up and i wont have my no 1 dance partner as he lives 3 hours away,

So will have to wait and see who will be going and meet more new people hope a few guys are there as we need more,

...noeleena...
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

A slip? Isn't that something that precedes a fall? :lol:

I have several slips of varying lengths though they are either nude or black. I think there are still a couple of full slips in the bottom of the drawer but TBH I have no idea the last time I wore one of those. For that matter it is had been quite a while since I wore a slip at all as most of my dresses and skirts are lined and don't require one.

It is funny Kim raised having slips of varying colors. I can remember back in the late 70s and particularly the early 80s after I transitioned the fad for many was color coordinated lingerie complete with matching bras, panties, and slips. I had quite a few sets like that in a variety of colors, some only with only a half slip but a couple with a full slip as well. Not sure exactly when that changed but somehow we ended up at the 3 basic colors of white, nude, and black.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Like everyone else I have a few slips but never wear them. In theory I would wear one if my dress didn't have lining or is see through or doesn't hang freely. But in practice even though I have one or two dresses that would benefit from having a slip, I usually either forget or don't bother since I'm not going out of the house anyway.
This working from home business is kind of confusing. Now I don't have a regular routine anymore of getting up, taking a shower, getting dressed, going to work. It's become wake up and turn the computer on and go back to bed, get up and get coffee, work for a while, go back to bed, work for a while in bed, get up and take a shower, work for a while, start to get dressed..........
So the question about how I wear anything is now answered as: sporadically, inconsistently, randomly and with little or no planning.
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Like most women there was a time I would never think of wearing a skirt or a dress without wearing a slip. I was generally more a half slip girl even under a dress unless the dress was very sheer on top then it was generally a camisole/half slip. I still have a few slips but honestly don't remember the last time I wore one but I do understand the importance of one to many of the girls here.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I think two things drove women wearing fewer slips.

First skirts and dresses have evolved over the years with many of them now being lined reducing the need for a skirt to have a slip to help with transparency. Also materials have evolved over the years. One use to need a slip to help with static cling of a skirt. Many of today's materials being used for skirts do not have this issue are it is minimal.

Second the is the casual movement. In my life time we have gone from a woman wearing skirts or dresses with slips as daily attire, even for around the house wear. To now pants being the more common attire. Generally now skirts and dresses are for special occasions or only worn daily by niche jobs or high level business profession women. Yes gals still wear skirts and dresses and some do daily, but pants, jeans and leggings are often the leg wear of choice for daily wear.

That said, when I am commuting to the office for work and wearing dress slacks I started wearing slips/culottes/pantliner under my dress slacks. First for the CDing thing to do. But i quickly learned they help with commuting comfort and all day comfort with wearing slacks all day. I have shorter ones for summer wear and longer longer ones that also help with winter warmth. I also find when I wear skirts with a slip they are more comfortable and flow better. I think GG's over look this part of wearing a slip.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Ms Jane
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Ms Jane »

Unlike everyone else I have many slips and wear them daily. I only wear dresses and skirts and I have various lengths and varieties of slip to go with them. Vintage slips are beautiful garments and I love the look and feeling of wearing them. I also wear girdle and stockings and an extra layer helps smooth minor bumps.
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

I'm pretty sure I have a half slip somewhere in the back corner of one of my drawers but honestly can't tell you the last time I wore it. I'm sure I wore at least once, well maybe.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.