Seriously?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Seriously?

Post by Diana Michelle »

bla*bla*bla Warning! Rant about to follow! bla*bla*bla

As many of you know I live in northern Michigan. While we are not a primary resort area there are several nice all sports lakes in the county as well as a couple of rivers known to be great fishing and excellent tubing and kayaking. Also we have 3 nice and relatively inexpensive golf courses compared to the big name ones nearby and 4 trailheads allowing access to miles of state groomed trails for 4 wheeler and off-road motorcycles. There are two major resort areas within 25 miles and accommodations here are considerably less expensive than there so in other words a good place to base out of for a fun yet cheap family vacation. During the summer months and a couple of other times of the year the town is full of tourists and the snowbirds.

Sunday I went to services and call me old fashioned here but I wore a dress, well a maxi dress. Yes it was warm and muggy but that particular dress has spaghetti straps so I wore a lightweight short sleeved blazer over it. I got to church just as services as were starting so I just sat in the last pew. As I looked around I saw a couple of dresses, mostly sundresses but not covered up but the bulk of the women had on slacks or shorts but what got to me is t-shirts, halter tops, a swimsuit or two, even a tube top! I am far from a prude and understand times have changed and many of these women were on vacation but seriously? You can't be bothered to put on a bra and a decent blouse or at least cover up a little for an hour or so? Am I being unreasonable here? Your thoughts please.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
CharLee
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Seriously?

Post by CharLee »

No Diana, you're not being unreasonable. It seems like a lot of women today just don't give a damn to dress appropriately for wherever they are going.

I, like you, am an old fashion girl and wear either a skirt & blouse or a dress whenever I go out socially.
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

I agree with you Diana. I admit I have more than once worn slacks to services though they were dress slacks and a nice top. Let us be honest here though. Most churches, particularly the mainstream religions are more concerned in putting bodies in the pews than how they are dressed.

There is a synagogue not far from where I live and been by it more than a few times as their services are letting out. Yes you see slacks on the women and very few suits or sports coats but all are nicely dressed.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I reckon the priest is just glad to have butts in the seats :)
DonnaT
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I hate to say I have even dressed down a bit with COVID. May of a Sunday i was in black jeans and a polo shirt. But I must say during Covid services it was pastor, myself and maybe one other person in church. I have upgraded the polo to a button down shirt and dress shoes. They are nice black jeans.

That said I agree people could step it up a bit. Put a shirt over the tank tops, swim suits and tube tops for church. It is not the outdoor service in the campground.

At least they are in church. :huh:

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I tend to agree with you Donna, it is more about butts in seats nowadays. I can remember even back in my 40s looking around church and seeing many families there with young children, you don't see a lot of that anymore
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Hi Diana, yes you are being totally unreasonable here and I 100% agree with you!! :lol:

On the one hand, yes everyone has the freedom to dress (or not) however they want. But the amount of effort one puts into an activity says everything about how much they value it. So people who show up to church in their PJs and didn't brush their hair first - well that's how much it means to them.
And my argument to them would be, do you really want to advertise to the entire congregation here that you totally don't give 2 hoots about this thing that you are pretending is an important part of your life? I mean, god, religion, and ones spiritual life are generally thought to be more significant than say, mowing the lawn; does their level of effort for the 2 things really show that?

You are totally validated for being judgy about this. Because anyone who pretends they care about something and then doesn't put in the effort is ______ <insert appropriate disparging epithet here|