sizing chartes

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

sizing chartes

Post by Carol Ann »

Hi everybody, I do need a little help with sizing :oops: .
I'm going to break down and buy a pair of jeans and a couple pair of pants or slacks. Never figure I would see the day when I wanted to wear pants but after yesterday trying to do some work in the house in a skirt it just don't work. So how do you convert 30x30 men's pants into women's pants? I've looked at a couple of charts but am still scraching my head over women, patite, tall, short and what ever is in between. :? Carol Ann
Kaeri
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kaeri »

I think it depends on the place youre shopping at, right? Since every brand seems to fit differently.

I shop at Torrid alot, and their size chart is dead on for when I buy stuff from them.

Hope that helps.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Carol Ann -

You wear 30x30 in men's slacks or jeans? Some brands of women's jeans (ie The Gap brand) are sized the same way. What size skirt do you wear? That would be a good starting point to determine your size for slacks or jeans.

I would suggest taking a pair of men's slacks/jeans and holding them up against a pair of women's slacks/jeans - waist to waist - and start comparing. Maybe someone here who wears the same size as you can tell you what the women's size would be? In the meantime, I'll start checking my own and convert the size numbers (8, 10, 12, etc.) to inches and post again, and I'll look for a women's size chart, too.

The difference in Petite, Average, Tall sizes - - Petite are for those who stand 5'3" and under, Average is 5'4" to 5'7" or 5'8", and Tall - well, I think you know the answer by now! Those height measurements are 'generalizations' as each brand might run an inch or so different, but most try to use the same height guidelines.

Kaeri - I've never heard of Torrid before - is that an online store or brick-and-mortar, and where?

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Paige
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Paige »

Carol Ann,

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth. I buy 14 petite jeans for my 36/29 male body. They fit perfectly.

Hugs, Paige
Don't get stressed, just get dressed.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Ladies -

My first thought was that a 30x30 waist/inseam should be about a size 12-14, depending upon the manufacturer and the style of slacks/jeans, and after checking various stores online, it seems that I am correct.

I have some Requirements brand slacks which I decided to measure - let's just say they are a size 12P at leave it at that!! However, I also checked my Lee Riders stretch slacks and jeans - size 10P - and both the Requirements and Lee Riders brands fit equally well - go figure!! ***huh*** :)

Here are links for several stores and their sizing charts, which were mostly found 'hidden' in their Customer Service areas. I was unable to locate any sizing charts/guidelines online for K-Mart, Sears, or Macy's.

Bealls: http://www.beallsflorida.com/page?name=page-faq25

Kohl’s: http://www.kohls.com/main/home.jsp - Click on ‘Product Guides’ found towards the bottom of the page

Newport News: http://www.newport-news.com/customer/chart_fashion.aspx

J.C. Penney: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/CustomerSe ... guidelines

Target: http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/re ... e=13666801

WalMart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog. ... 31281#null

I hope this information helps you, Carol Ann!

(--)

- SL

{Updated on 20 Feb 2007 to provide a new link for Newport News. - - SL}
Last edited by SilverLady(SO) on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

The quick and easy method.

Take a string, wrap it around your waist, mark the two overlapping points, tie a knot to form a loop with the two marks touching the knot and disposed inside the loop.

Now, go to the store and find a pair of jeans you figure to be your size, and, holding the knot in one hand and the end of the loop in the other, compare the width of the jeans to the length of the string's loop.

Use a long enough string and you can measure the length in a similar fashion.
DonnaT
Kaeri
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kaeri »

SilverLady(F) wrote: Kaeri - I've never heard of Torrid before - is that an online store or brick-and-mortar, and where?
Torrid: www.torrid.com
It's online and brick-and-mortar. It's also the plus size version of www.hottopic.com. You can probably find both stores next to each other at the mall.

DonnaT: That is an awesome method I would've never thought of!
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Ladies I want to thank you all for all the advice and help. My wife let me try on a pair of her jeans and they fit pretty good, but she feels I need to go down to a 14W petite for a better fit. Now with all this information all I got to do is look and ask the lady if I may try them on. Now that will be a first for me going into the ladies changing room to try on something. (--) Carol Ann
Danette
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Danette »

Good luck Carol Ann, I only wish I could fit in size 14WPs. LOL

Hugs,
Danette @->->-
what's meant to be will always find a way.
Alana
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alana »

Carol Anne,

I'm a 32/30. Found Faded Glory stretch jeans at WalMart in an 8 petite fit me just fine (no extra padding). A 10 petite was close but seemed a little loose. Each brand is a little different.

Love,

Alana