Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Eileen (SO)

Re: Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Davita wrote: all good reasons to let the girls out to roam free until the next time.
Gosh, I hope the 'girls' are house broken! :) Excuse me, Davita, just having a silly moment.

Heather W wrote: I do have a question though for those like Davita, Diana, and Eileen who shed their bras in the hot weather, does that also go for winter or it is just a humidity thing?
It's not just humidity, Heather. Even a good fitting bra feels confining after all day wear. The band and straps tend to dig in after awhile. No matter the weather, at 42DDD, a good bra is a woman's best friend. But even best friends must part sometimes, and Gawd, that does feel nice!
Uncomfortable they may be, I'd rather wear a bra than not. Letting the 'girls roam free' is more uncomfortable.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote: Uncomfortable they may be, I'd rather wear a bra than not. Letting the 'girls roam free' is more uncomfortable.

Eileen
Amen Eileen! Amazing that no matter how uncomfortable you were in a bra the night before or how hot and miserable you were that one of the first things we grab in the morning is a bra? I am nowhere in your range, 36B here, but I know that after an hour of any form of physical activity without a bra and I am looking to put it back on! While the "girls" do like to "roam free" at times they let me know when it is time to go back in the "corral." :lol:
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Sarah Ann
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Ann »

Oh, earlier I forgot to mention the most important reason, because we can [rubs a strap mark and winks] :P
I'm a girl with minor additions ^^_||
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Sarah Ann wrote:Oh, earlier I forgot to mention the most important reason, because we can [rubs a strap mark and winks] :P
:lol: :lol: Oh my God Sarah Ann! My late husband used to say the same thing when I asked him why he scratched his, well you know!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Yes it does feel good to take the bar off after a long day. I think I fit somewhere in the middle here, 36D and all from hormones :) , and I know there are days I hate wearing one, and days I never even think about it. For work I usually wear an underwired minimizer, not that comes off the minute I get home =D> but I will generally put on a bra then. If my breasts are tender I may go with a soft cup although they do not support as well :( but usually it is an underwire just not a minimizer! I know some guys may wonder why we have so many bras but they each serve a purpose.
Tasi
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tasi »

I have to agree with CJ on this topic. The number of women wearing ill-fitting bras is quoted as being in the 70-80% range but even if it was lower, the number s still significant. Go to a bra -fitter and get it done right. I used to wear a 46 D (#12 inserts (D), but when I had a bra -fitter help me, I switched to a 46C and have never had a problem since. And I live in the tropics
Hugs....Tasi
Tasi
Be all you can be
Janine O
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janine O »

A bra can get to be really uncomfortable if it is worn for an extended period of time, but I couldn't think of going dressed without one. I find that changing bras after wearing one for more than 10 or 12 hours helps a lot.
Erica S
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Erica S »

Now, I do not dress too much right now, and I totally understand how a bra would be uncomfortable. I just wanted to say I love having a bra on, even if it is for a short time each day. I would really like to feel my forms in if I could ( I dont wear them right now ). I think having a bra on helps me feel feminine. I would love to have one on for the majority of the day with my forms and wearing the full ensomble of womens clothing.

Hugs,

Erica
If the woman inside of you needs to be free, let it happen, and you can soar.
Marissa Mae
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Marissa Mae »

The bra manufacturers are not helping, either, in recent years. I can't be the only one who's noticing this.

The current bras, all sizes and models, seem generally built like straitjackets. Some years back bras were available that were light, non-binding and pretty (where did all the nice colors and patterns go?). Now we're in a phase of industrial strength bras which are neither pretty nor comfortable.

Just check the web for bras and try to find a few that are delicate and comfy ... Doubtless there are a few out there but they are hard to find!

Love, Marissa Mae
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I don't know where you shop, Marissa Mae, or the size you prefer. Our catalogs both myself and CD husband shop from offer plenty of cute colors and styles. While the smaller or petite women may buy bras as a fashion statement, mine are purely for support, comfort, and no color bleed through.
Meaning, a black bra with dark clothing, white with light clothing, etc.

Mine are much like straightjackets for necessity's sake. Now, because my arms don't reach like they used to, I'm buying the front hook styles. Too bad this style wasn't popular when the guys were first discovering the female anatomy in High School. Would have save a lot of time! :twisted:

Eileen
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

I have not tried a front hook style yet, but I learned from my ex-wife many years ago a method of putting on a bra that works for me. I actually put it on backwards first, clipping it in the front without my arms through, then I simply slide it around and put my arms through the straps. I don't know if this would suffice for others, but it's how I've always done it.

I also agree, there are many cute, sexy, and colorful bras available. With some trial and error I've managed to find one that supports my breast forms as well as maintaining a pretty laced style.

I love it when old posts like this come back to life!
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
DanielleM
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by DanielleM »

First thing is fit... the better the fit, the longer you can wear it without discomfort.

With some help from my SO, I found a bra size that fits well and holds my forms nicely.

Even so, a bra will always get uncomfortable over time... just the nature of the beast of trying to hold up something that wants to go down. :-k

Wearing my forms with a bra and panties is part of the feminine experience for me. More so that the outerwear. My SO walks around looking at tops and skirts, I get mesmerized in the lingerie department!
Don't worry about what other people think, because they don't.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Robyn wrote:I have not tried a front hook style yet, but I learned from my ex-wife many years ago a method of putting on a bra that works for me. I actually put it on backwards first, clipping it in the front without my arms through, then I simply slide it around and put my arms through the straps. I don't know if this would suffice for others, but it's how I've always done it.
Dear Robyn, that method works very well. Not so much for larger breasted GG's. The song line, 'Twist and shout' comes to mind. Keep in mind the topic title. While you all like to wear a bra to feel feminine, GG's like myself have to. Regardless of yesterday's heat index of 103, not wearing a bra would be more embarrassing.

Eileen
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have a couple of front hook bras and do make things easy in those intimate moments although pantyhose can change that quickly. :oops: I have found that although most front hook styles in my size, 36B, are not as supportive as back hook styles even from the same manufacturer they are generally cute and pretty.

It was hot and muggy here on Saturday as well but I spent the day in my bathing suit and shorts, one of the advantages of living on a lake. :) Much cooler and comfortable even though the top is underwire. Still for church on Sunday it was back to a bra even though it was hot and muggy.

Eileen I was a bit surprised by your comment about a white bra under light clothes for no show through. I have always worn a beige color, nude or whatever the manufacturers want to call it, bra to avoid showing my bra through light color clothes. The closer to your natural skin tone the less exposure.

Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Diana Michelle wrote:Eileen I was a bit surprised by your comment about a white bra under light clothes for no show through. I have always worn a beige color, nude or whatever the manufacturers want to call it, bra to avoid showing my bra through light color clothes. The closer to your natural skin tone the less exposure.
I was replying quickly and hoped all would understand my meaning. Most all of my clothing is not shear by any means, but even a cotton T-shirt will let a dark bra color show through. I have a few different colors, maybe 4 or 5, very few with lace and none with patterns like butterflies or kitty cats. Some women, mainly the younger set, will wear bras as a fashion statement, they want them to be seen. Honestly, do guys see a woman's bra with some pretty pattern showing through more attractive than just the idea that she wants her bra to be seen? Except for this forum, I doubt most husbands even know what kind of bra his wife wears.

Ok, my bras are boring as a subject, mainly not pretty, just functional. Taking it off after all day is a truly wonderful feeling.

Diana Michelle mentioned pantyhose as a possible dating problem, I'm reminded of a funny story. This forum has a joke section, but it seems appropriate to mention it here.

A young couple has just finished, um, spontaneous nookie. Feeling ashamed, the guy says, "Sorry, if I knew you were a virgin, I would have taken more time." The girl replies, "If I knew you had more time, I would have taken off my pantyhose."

Eileen